1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. Cooly

Cooly Senior Member

I would say either get your normal dress shoe size or maybe a half size down on the congress...I got the same size as I got the wilberforces (my normal dress shoe size) and they fit fairly good..maybe a tad bit loose.

As with most people, one of my feet is a tad bit longer than the other, and on the longer foot, the congress fits great...but on the smaller one, it's a bit loose. With boots, I always feel it's a better to be on the bigger side than the smaller, as you can always wear thicker socks and/or get slim insert if they stretch at all...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 5:31 PM

2. Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle Well-Known Member

Speaking of boots, I just purchased the newest style of the Murdock engineer boots (nicely discounted), black with the full rubber bottom. Debating on whether to keep them or not as the instep is kinda tight and would probably need stretching (maybe just break in). They fit good otherwise.

Does anyone know who is making these boots now? Online description states "expertly handmade in Pennsylvania.." but it also indicates a Cat's Paw heel when the heel clearly looks to be a Vibram 700. Thanks in advance.

3. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior Member

I had them for a period of time and was under the impression they were from thorogood. The cats paw description is totally wrong and I dont even know if they use a vibram sole, looks like an in house sole with RRL branding but don't know where it's made. Speaking of the soles, the tread on these and the cliftons are so damn stiff even after a year plus of wear I may have to get them resoled just for the sake of saving my feet. Absolutely no break in, even an employee at Broadway was surprised to see me wearing them saying he had to give up due to how rigid they were

4. Legal Eagle

Thanks for the info. Weird because Thorogood are made in Wisconsin. Frye is closer to Pennsylvania than Thorogood and they kind of look similar to their engineer boots. Then again, the whole made in PA thing could be a complete misnomer. Just like the Cat's Paw. If they certainly don't break in well, then they might have to go back. Even at the cost of eating all the shipping charges.

5. henryfool3

henryfool3 Well-Known Member

so i have the engineers. actually wearing them now. they are pretty much my current day to day boot. got them on ebay, brand new, in october 2016 i think. i really like them. for me they were comfortable pretty much out of the box. they broke in pretty nicely, got a little easier to get on and off. no idea who makes them, and some of the information online is definitely old and not up to date, but they have done well by me.

hope that helps.

6. Legal Eagle

Are they the full rubber bottom version with kind of thin leather? I also got mine on the bay a week ago. I sized mine the same as Redwing Heritage line.

7. henryfool3

henryfool3 Well-Known Member

yea, full rubber bottom. i don't know that i would call the leather thin, but it is very soft.

8. JiiPee

JiiPee Active Member

First batch of Murdoch Engineers were made by Julian Boots. Those had a super tight inlet and a Cats Paw heel.
    The second series (around 2013-2014) were made by Rios of Mercedes in Texas. Those have a cowboy boot like, narrow last.
    I don't know who makes them now but they look very different from the first two.

9. Legal Eagle

Right, I have read this on other forums like Iron Heart and such. The newest batch seem to fit pretty narrow (I do have a narrow-ish foot) and the instep is pretty tight. Takes me some effort to get them on due to having larger arched feet, especially my right foot. I have to unbuckle the instep straps and then keep them on the loosest notch. They fit decent when on, but a little stiff in the sole.

The strap leather is what seems thin. The hardware seems a little thin as well. I wonder if they are just steer hide or Chromexcel. I'm surprised that nobody seems to know who makes this incarnation. Still deciding....

10. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior Member

All in all they're an okay engineer. If you can get them for a good price then sure go for it. I wore them for about a year and a half on and off my bike because i got them cheap, liked the look and have a strange brand loyalty to RRL. At a certain point of discomfort I said screw it and opted to sell them in favor of something that will actually fit and look better even if I have to pay full price

11. Legal Eagle

I gotcha. I snagged them at about 40% off the MSRP. But if they are just Thorogoods, that $690 MSRP is pretty steep, even by RRL standards. If I went Julian, custom Wescos, or such, I know that I'd be paying double but maybe for double the quality. Thanks again for the advice.

12. DJ Quaaludes

DJ Quaaludes Senior Member

Funny you mention that about the Clifton. I have a once-worn pair that just constantly sits on my shelf and I keep telling myself to wear them, that they need to be broken in. They are like wearing steel armor on your feet....

Regarding earlier questions on the Congress boot, you may be best off going 1/2 a size down from true, unless you have a wide foot. I was never able to make that boot work as even going a half size down (granted, this was a couple years ago) I experienced pretty bad heel slip.

13. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior Member

They're like bricks. I've stopped wearing them to the office because everyone can hear me coming a mile away on our tile floors

14. mfbnyc

mfbnyc Well-Known Member

I have the same experience with the Congress. I am a straight up 9 in the Bowery (I have the initial Julian version and a pair of the newer Cheaney version) and other Ralph-produced English-made shoes by Crockett & Jones. The Congress is slightly bigger and it always feels like it's slipping. At the time, half sizes were hard to come by, so I went with the 9. I've had them for years and barely ever wear them.

15. aquila49

aquila49 Senior Member

I feel like I should defend the Cliftons. Own and love my pair. I like a heavy boot and these are just right. (They aren't as heavy as my Red Wing Iron Rangers.)

To each his own.