The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

Ralph Lauren (the company, not the man) has a history of manipulating images to sell clothing. In fact, the company is responsible for one of the most infamous Photoshop makeovers—the cartoonish distortion of model Filippa Hamilton's body for a Blue Label ad in 2009. After the company was hammered by critics of this travesty, Ralph Lauren apologized for the ad and promised stricter controls on image manipulation.

Apparently not everyone got the memo. A few months later, another Ralph Lauren hack job surfaced, this time in an ad featuring model Valentina Zelyaeva.

[​IMG]

The chicanery wasn't limited to print. The Zelyaeva photo was heavily used online, along with other ads that displayed an unnatural fondness for waist-shrinking.

[​IMG]

(Just noticed the horse is wearing leg warmers! Must be a preppy thing.)

Middle manager to frazzled graphic artist: "Dammit; I said slimmer! Do it! I don't care if there aren't any humans with heads larger than their waists!"

I suppose one can argue that it's only the bodies being manipulated, not the clothing. But let's get real; a company that would shamelessly distort images of women to sell clothing is unlikely to have ethical concerns about tweaking photos of leather jackets or fatigue pants.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

If anybody needed a photoshop diet...it's those two models!! :rolleyes2:

That's crazy, I still want to give them the benefit of the doubt with regard to poor catalog photos but it's getting harder and harder to do so.

3. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

4. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

You are a trusting soul!

The doctoring of product photos doesn't bother me as much as the over-the-top Photoshopping of models' bodies. Of course, Ralph Lauren is not the only fashion house that assaults our perceptions of women.

5. oynag

oynag Senior member

6. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

I seem to recall someone here was looking for the Cotton Jungle Cloth Vest from the Spring collection. A NWT Medium has surfaced on eBay for $245.

RRL-Cotton-Jungle-Cloth-Vest-03.png

7. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

I must have missed some posts. What's the context for this item? Is it available in Japan only?

8. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

Beams+ released some limited RRL jeans exclusive for Japan, one being the high waist tapered pictured on that instagram and the other being a straight tapered. both fits seem like they would do very well in the american market but alas. I actually had the chance to buy them off zenmarket but a retail of $400 for a pair of 12oz jeans didn't seem too smart

9. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

Thanks for filling me in. The jeans have my interest but I wouldn't want to deal with returning this item if it didn't fit.

10. McSp

McSp Senior member

Yes, we exchanged comments about this vest. When I got it I was surprised how stiff was but after wearing it I liked and appreciated that kind of material. Thank you anyway for your post, very kind of you!
    We also talk about Abrams vest that you own and I'm still looking for, waiting that miraculously surfaces somewhere...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 4:32 AM