1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

2. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

their are few here that post about the real RRL style and the lifestyle that comes with it.

Anyways, many times I take a loss on many of my items, because sometimes I feel bad about the high price of a Vintage RRL piece.... but lucky me, I am one that doesn't have to look at my bottom line.... so I just do what I enjoy doing, Buying, photographing and offering vintage RRL....
    eBay is really the only safe place to do it...

I know I'm going to regret inserting myself into this shit show, but now I need to know: what is the RRL lifestyle?

Is it watching black and whites on TCM with the sound off so that you can try to identify articles of clothing RRL may have reproduced? It is building model trains and masturbating to their operation? Is it pretending to be a miner while riding the train between Manhattan and Westchester? I need to to know: what is this lifestyle built around a clothesline that is designed to be little more than a simulacrum of vintage articles of clothing?

I mean, I'm a fan of RRL (not so much as lots of other lines that are more inspired, but still), what am I missing out on?

3. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

4. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

5. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

6. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

7. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

8. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Am I the only one who see this posting as advertisement?

OR

Is this a photo gallery or something?

9. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

(off current topic)
    Wow, seeing airportlobby's post, I just realized that I'd ripped off his sig a little. Must have been subconscious, as I didn't intend to do that. Changed mine. Apologies; hope no harm done.

(now back to discussion)

11. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do to. I always enjoyed visiting it on my trips to NYC. I especially liked the authentic vintage items they sold side by side with the RRL reproductions including a few rare 50's guitars and amps. The displays were awesome.
    I miss the Mulberry Street Store.... [​IMG]

13. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

14. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

15. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

I respect your interest in the line and in the vintage pieces, but let's not have a bad attitude. Of course, some people are going to be more price-conscious than others. It doesn't make them better or worse people.

I actually know one of the key members of the original RRL design team - she actually posts here occasionally, though never in this thread - and we've actually done a collaboration with her in the past. Her knowledge of vintage is encyclopedic. She also has a much better attitude than do you. Maybe you could take a cue from one of your idols.

really? her (i think it's obvious who you're speaking of)? i did not know that.

16. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

I am curious as to what the RRL lifestyle is. I don't hang around giant ranches and ride horses or build railroad tracks. I am just another American interested in RRL clothes and on the lookout for different pieces to buy.

I know where the 'lifestyle idea' comes from though. At Polo, I am constantly reminded through emails and corporate visits that we are selling 'a lifestyle.' It always ends there though. So if I wear a Polo garment, should I be getting ready to play a game of Polo in D.C.

I feel as if it is just another marketing tactic by RL. He is trying to get people into thinking they are buying something much greater than just clothes.

theRRLshop,
    could you explain the RRL lifestyle?

17. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

18. osadolor619

osadolor619 Senior member

Thanks forefathers... Now that'll be $1,250 plus shipping please... [​IMG]

The RRL lifestyle... is really how YOU make it...
    In a way it's a lifestyle that thanks the older generations that helped form our countries,
    with their hard work, handmade clothing, cooking over the potstove, as our grandmothers made sure there was food on the table. no matter how little... to the school teacher that helped teach the young about the respect one should have for one another....

When you can wake up in the morning, after a peaceful night with the blanket your grandmother patched... when you throw your bluejeans on the floor and not worry about their condition.... when you can spend time with your best friend... your dog... old friends... family... your cat... in the comfort that you have grown to enjoy that our forefathers and parents gave us in return.. a cleaner carefree life while caring and feelings for those that need a handshake... a hello... a home.

You make it what you want... but should always remember what our grandparents did for us and the countries we call home. Anywhere in the World.

Simple.... in an old shirt, and a pair of (RRL) jeans.
    It's what you learned from the past... and bring to the future.

RR_

This is my GrandFather working in the old mills in New England....
    I Miss and Thank him for all he gave me and my Country

[​IMG]

19. el duderino

el duderino Senior member

While not specific to RRL, this is a good video that covers the whole aspirational aspect of RL which is arguably why he is so successful (Note: I don't think anyone here wants to be a cowboy, miner, though)

To me and most other fans of the line, RRL is a modern vintage line. Vintage inspired pieces with modern cuts. However, I'm not sure most people care or know what a lot of pieces are based on.

One example is the ltd ed embroidered denim jacket that some people picked up at outlets recently. To most it probably looks like a jean jacket w/ a large logo on the back. In reality it's a Lee Cowboy type I 101-J repro w/ RRL details (RRL instead of Lee on the buttons, rivets, labels, the slim bootcut pattern on the pocket, and then an embroidered logo on the back).

20. Matt44

Matt44 Senior member