1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. el duderino

el duderino Senior member

...and i think the reason why pst percentages are only 50% is that because ralph lauren distributed the whole season of rrl to every major outlets.

It's because they've been cutting back on sales lately. The new stuff you are seeing hit outlets was already discounted at 25% off from marked down prices. In previous seasons, they left stores at an extra 50% off.

Outlet pricing usually starts at +25% off from the last discounted price in store. Other than westside pickups, not many interesting pieces showing up from what I've been seeing on eBay. From what was left in stores, probably a lot of ugly Holiday Lodge/Alaska/Lighthouse stuff, but does seem that for M and above, some nice pieces made it to outlets. Curious if anyone picks up those brownes beach repro vests made out of beacon blankets.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

from what i heard from the managers of ralph lauren outlet store was that they cut some of the psr distribution to minor sales store. they could be wrong but it seems like PSR distribution has changed from last years. it was not easy to find rrl jeans at my local outlet stores but now the rrl are all over the place or it can be the last haul. and i think the reason why pst percentages are only 50% is that because ralph lauren distributed the whole season of rrl to every major outlets.

I'm curious - did they have any problems with the amount of stuff you were buying? At my outlet the SA went to check with her manager, who told her it was OK. Mine was 15 items, not 50!

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

It's funny it seems like there are all kinds of RRL jeans except the ones I want. (Raw and slim fit) [​IMG]

Looks like I might have to make my first retail RRL purchase.

If you can't find on ebay (or are not confident of the sizing), I think their jeans are well worth the retail price. Especially raw, which they charge less for than their various washes. Plus there is a lot of value in being able to try them on and get the exact fit.

I have too much denim already, but if I were looking to buy, I've decided that RRL retail is a good value.

4. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Has it always been this way? I feel that even 8 months ago it wasnt this bad. thats when i first got into RRL and remember having one hell of a time finding jeans. Now its falling like manna from heaven.

Honestly, I hope that they stop sending so much RRL to the outlets. I can see a few pairs of jeans here and their but entire seasons sent out across the country.. ridiculous. I've sold here before but 50 items? I think that's a bit overboard. ONE thing I LOVE about RRL is that it's exclusive. Polo has turned into shit because everyone and their mama wears it. Most of those people that where Polo don't know about RRL and I like it that way.

It is strange how much is washing up at present. I wonder if it's just a greater concentration is showing up on Styleforum, rather than being resold in other places (namely by people with overseas connections), making it more noticeable to us.

These are all good points to varying extents.

Personally, I haven't noticed anything unusual about RRL listings on ebay (not in my size). But I've definitely noticed two things about SF:

one, the RRL thread has been on the front page constantly for days and weeks on end where previously it could disappear into oblivion for weeks at a time,

and, two, probably because the RRL thread has been much more visible, sellers have taken the opportunity to cash in on the demand that keeps the thread active.

So, I'm inlcined to think it's just a SF thing.

Does it bother me? Not really, because as much as I privilege certain items of RRL, 90% of RRL I still don't like and the rest of the 10% is only accessible if you really look for it dilligently and patiently or you buy it at retail. It just so happens that the 10% I like so either way they are all special pieces.

I'm going down to the Niagara Falls outlet in a day or two. If they have any RRL then something is definitely weird.

5. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  6. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

Honestly, I hope that they stop sending so much RRL to the outlets. I can see a few pairs of jeans here and their but entire seasons sent out across the country.. ridiculous. I've sold here before but 50 items? I think that's a bit overboard. ONE thing I LOVE about RRL is that it's exclusive. Polo has turned into shit because everyone and their mama wears it. Most of those people that where Polo don't know about RRL and I like it that way. Buying RRL soooo cheap takes the fun out of being a RRL fan. It's more fun going to see a new item, saving up for it (if you don't have the $$$), waiting for Ralph Lauren private sale or saying F*CK it and just paying for it cause you love the piece so much. I like RRL as an exclusive brand. I like being someone that "knows about it" and their being people that don't. I know somebody hears me out there!
    i agree that RRL as an exclusive brand definitely has more appeal. when my friends ask about some of my stuff and i say RRL, they all think its the same as RL. but buying RRL cheap? i have no problem with that at all. i'm sure we've all spent crazy amounts on our favorite pieces, but i would much rather pick it up on sale than at full price any day. and the thing with the outlets, i think its good as long as it's not overkill. i'm lucky enough to live in NY but most ppl dont have RRL in their state. if they can pick up some RRL at their PRL outlet, or if someone is acting as a proxy for those who cant get to an outlet, why not?

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

It's funny it seems like there are all kinds of RRL jeans except the ones I want. (Raw and slim fit) [​IMG]

Looks like I might have to make my first retail RRL purchase.

haaa, i had to bite the bullet and spend full retail on the slim fit raws (never on sale because its not a seasonal item) and the officer chino. non-coincidentally i appreciate these two RRL pieces a lot more than my other 'cheap' RRL items

8. Rayson

Rayson Well-Known Member

Bottom line though for me is to buy it because i think it looks good or because i can help out someone else getting it who doesnt live by an outlet or store, not because i want to be part of an exclusive club of people who know about it

I like the way RRL looks and the quality. I don't care about ubiquity. RRL smells good, too...

why are you guys discussing their strategy? i think ralph lauren is a smart company and they know what they're doing. i'd rather see discussion about the dope stuff you guys picked up than discussion about how you can't afford any.

The marketing is of interest to me, because it seems an unusual mixture of consciously different and haphazard. You're bang on about RL being a smart company, of course.

90% of RRL I still don't like

I'm like that thank God, otherwise I'd be broke regardless of discounts. I'm also quite lucky in that I tend to prefer the more ordinary end of the spectrum (plainer denim, chinos, T-shirts, thermals, plaid shirts, sweaters, military stuff). This thread and the amount RRL makes, it's obvious that interest for the clothes is often a tenuous bond. I'm the most special flower, but people here are hugely different to each other. That's what tolerance is all about, though, as they said on some programme. The jews and the muslims and the racists all living side by side in harmony.

9. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

LOL^^ osadolor, the point i'm trying to make is that for the majority of us, we only see the results. it's like slaves in caves. using business terminology, we can't zoom in and see what levers they're pulling at RL. i know people who work at RL or are otherwise affiliated, and sometimes i bring some of that info on here, but i still couldn't explain what they do and why.

10. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

11. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

no it wasn't. look at the shipping

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

13. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

14. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

15. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

he fixed it now [​IMG] for those of you who missed it: $775 shipping on a preowned chambray that was $49.99 BiN.

16. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

I know most people are SF are super models but I wear a 38 and am not a fat guy

People here are thin because all the money goes to clothes with just enough disposable income to eat bean soup three times a day.

17. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

People here are thin because all the money goes to clothes with just enough disposable income to eat bean soup three times a day.

that's exactly what happened to me after i discovered SF. [​IMG]

but i still cant help but come on here more than 1 time a day......[​IMG]

18. osadolor619

osadolor619 Senior member

Hahaha, that's funny. I'm built like a linebacker so I have thick legs and wide shoulders and work out 6 times a week cardio and weight training. Anyways, my point is, waist size doesn't always indicate body fat.

What DOES suck is that a lot of the cool jeans are slim fit and are sometimes uncomfortable to me unless I get two sizes bigger.

19. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Stupid slim fit jeans are too tight in the thighs for people with leg muscles.