• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys check out this striped chambray from Old Navy. It's only $29 bucks and you can add the 20% coupon going on all the time. It's so good and slim fitting and it's 10x cheaper than a comparable striped chambray RRL so you would have to be stupid not to buy at least 5 of them.

I know there's an Old Navy thread up in here somewhere but I want to spread the joy all over the RRL thread where I know people are cheap!!!

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=939602052

Just when I thought you couldn't **** up this thread any more with your holier than thou smug assholiness, you do! Grats. The Wallace & Barnes shirt is quite nice and reminded the poster of an RRL shirt -- and I thought the same thing when I got mine. And as usual, your analogy/joke/whatever is terrible and totally off base. Give it a ******* rest.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just when I thought you couldn't **** up this thread any more with your holier than thou smug assholiness, you do! Grats. The Wallace & Barnes shirt is quite nice and reminded the poster of an RRL shirt -- and I thought the same thing when I got mine. And as usual, your analogy/joke/whatever is terrible and totally off base. Give it a ******* rest.

Blaster - :slayer:

he's a sad individual (RRL_Clothing)

the point was to watch the evolution of Wallace & Barnes because some of their stuff is as good or better than RRL, and they're positioning it now as a direct competitor

Last edited:

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As usual the sad trolls, who come out during semi-annual sales, are the ones who **** up the RRL thread with their rants/comparisons to Jcrew because they can't afford RRL. Every other post in here lately is about Jcrew or some other cheap wannabe brand knocking off RRL's ''aesthetic.'' There is a Jcrew thread go post your cheap chambray 80% off finds in there, I'm sure someone reading the JCREW thread might appreciate it.

I like some Jcrew but I don't go around posting rants and raves about it in other brand's threads. I wouldn't go around talking about how great Hyundai is in a Cadillac or BMW forum, because that would be insane. Do you think anyone in this thread is going to think "Oh my GOD!! Wallace and Barnes!! I had no idea there is a place called Jcrew, what the **** am I doing in the RRL thread?!"

My post was spot on and hilarious (too bad I didn't think of the Ebates/Discover cashback but someone else beat me to it!) You uptight ''assholes'' are too stupid to realize that the proprietary fabrics that Jcrew/Wallace use are the same ones that Gap/Old Navy use from the same factories in Mauritius, India, Bangladesh, etc. Of course to the unrefined eye, I'm sure WB and RRL look and feel the same but this can't be further from the truth.

Quote: I don't even... Wallace and Barnes is nothing more than a small, insignificant, slightly more premium line of Jcrew's ubiquitous crap. Nor_cal you are just another clueless armchair analyst of the fashion industry.

Last edited:

movoblast

Reaction score
As usual the sad trolls are the ones who **** up the RRL thread with their rants/comparisons to Jcrew because they can't afford RRL.. Every other post in here is about Jcrew or some other cheap wannabe brand knocking off RRL's ''aesthetic.'' We get it, workwear is in style. There is a Jcrew thread go post your cheap chambray 80% off finds in there, I'm sure someone reading the JCREW thread would appreciate it.

I like some Jcrew but I don't go around posting rants and raves about it in other brand's threads. I wouldn't go around talking about how great Hyundai is in a Cadillac or BMW forum, because that would be ridiculous. Do you think anyone in this thread is going to think "Oh my GOD!! Wallace and Barnes!! I had no idea there is a place called Jcrew, what the **** am I doing in the RRL thread?!"

My post was spot on and hilarious (too bad I didn't think of the Ebates/Discover cashback but someone else beat me to it!) You uptight ''assholes'' are too stupid to realize that the proprietary fabrics that Jcrew/Wallace use are the same ones that Gap/Old Navy use from the same factories in Macau. Of course to the unrefined eye, I'm sure WB and RRL look and feel the same but this can't be further from the truth.

I don't even... Wallance and Barnes is nothing more than a slightly more premium line of Jcrew's ubiquitous crap. Nor_cal you are just another clueless armchair analyst of the fashion industry.

Can YOU afford RRL? It's ironic how you think Jcrew is too cheap and you refer to RRL clothes as being the "cadillac or BMW" of clothes. I thought you had to hit up woodbury outlets and re-sell in order to fund your RRL clothes. By the way, RRL is NOT high quality. With RRL clothing, you're paying for the style, not the quality. So if Wallace and Barnes carries something with a similar style, why not spring for it?

Not many people in American CAN afford RRL full price. You'd have to be a 1 percenter to afford a wardrobe full of RRL clothes at MSRP. So we make do with RRL sales and other clothing brands. That doesn't detract from RRL appreciation though, does it? I found the post about the Jcrew shirt helpful. I don't want a wardrobe of purely RRL clothes. That's just douchey.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the West Broadway store yesterday and the prices are significantly lower than online. Might have to go back and pick some stuff up

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can YOU afford RRL? It's ironic how you think Jcrew is too cheap and you refer to RRL clothes as being the "cadillac or BMW" of clothes. I thought you had to hit up woodbury outlets and re-sell in order to fund your RRL clothes. By the way, RRL is NOT high quality. With RRL clothing, you're paying for the style, not the quality. So if Wallace and Barnes carries something with a similar style, why not spring for it?

Not many people in American CAN afford RRL full price. You'd have to be a 1 percenter to afford a wardrobe full of RRL clothes at MSRP. So we make do with RRL sales and other clothing brands. That doesn't detract from RRL appreciation though, does it? I found the post about the Jcrew shirt helpful.

Oh boy the class-warfare brainwashed liberals are in full force today! RRL is the Cadillac/BMW of clothing. It's entry-luxury. I didn't say Maybach or Bentley. Don't speak for all Americans. Plenty of Americans buy Polo and RRL at MSRP that are not rich. 1%ers buy Balmain, Gucci, PLRL, etc. Polo/RRL is actually quite affordable, even at MSRP - maybe YOU are just living beyond your means.

I buy plenty of RRL for myself at MSRP because Icon's never go on sale or I don't want to risk missing out on something that I want. Reselling is just a hobby to use as write offs for my other businesses. It wouldn't make sense to sell things on eBay at a discount, pay enormous fees and shipping costs if I'm paying MSRP+tax, now would it?

Quote:
RRL is still one of the highest quality brand out there. A missing button or rivet can happen with any brand when so many customers buy/wear/damage and take advantage of unlimited return policy. Between the money spent on high end fabrics, designing and construction you will not find a better brand with a tighter collection anywhere. Certainly not with Wallace and Barnes LOL.

Quote: Of course you do, but keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Seriously any other posts not related to RRL should be reported and deleted, especially when there are 2 pages filled with them. I'm tired of reading about other **** in here. I know a lot of other members feel like I do but don't come forward, I already received 2 PMs thanking me for my post.

Last edited:

movoblast

Reaction score
Oh boy the class-warfare brainwashed liberals are in full force today! Yes RRL is the Cadillac/BMW of clothing. It's entry-luxury. I didn't say Maybach or Bentley. Don't speak for Americans because you are ignorant and watch too much mainstream media.. Because, plenty of Americans buy Polo and RRL at MSRP that are not "1%ers." 1%ers buy Balmain, Gucci, PLRL, etc. Polo/RRL is actually quite affordable, even at MSRP.

I buy plenty of RRL for myself at MSRP because Icon's never go on sale and because my size is always sold out by the time it hits any sale or I don't want to risk missing out on something that I want. Reselling is just a hobby to use as write offs for my other businesses. Of course, it wouldn't make sense to sell things on eBay at a discount, pay enormous fees and shipping costs, if I'm paying MSRP+tax, now would it?

RRL is still the highest quality brand out there. Between the money spent on high end fabrics and designing, you will not find a better brand with a tighter collection anywhere. Certainly not with Wallace and Barnes LOL.

Seriously any other posts not related to RRL should be reported and deleted, especially when there are 2 pages filled with them. I'm tired of reading about other **** in here. I know a lot of other members feel like I do but don't come forward, I already received 2 PMs thanking me for my post.

Of course you do, but keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.
I admit RRL clothes are higher quality than Jcrew. I will definitely pony up and purchase RRL for a higher price if it is a piece I absolutely love, but if there was a $70 difference for a similar style at Jcrew, I would go with the Jcrew shirt. The difference in quality is not great enough for me to constantly be spending $70 more. That's just me.

I understand where you're coming from though. This is your passion, and you love RRL clothes. I feel similarly about shoes. I would pay full price for a pair of shell shoes that I love. That is my passion/obsession. But I don't think I would **** on someone if he made a single post about calf shoes in a shell cordovan forum. That's just me.

Greedo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of the Canvas Newburgh Pants from one of the stores by phone & had them deliver. (Never knew you could do that before reading this thread, so thanks to the vets here for that tidbit). Didn't have my size online & wasn't sure they'd ever get it, so I am happy with the MSRP purchase, even though normally I try to scoop items on sale (like that employee code some time back or via their fairly ubiquitous sales).

Fit on the Newburgh was pretty much exactly like a straight leg, with a tad wider leg opening. Shame they aren't selvedge, but the fit was what I wanted. Own the Spokane wash also, which is quickly becoming a favorite jean.

Last edited:

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^you can always grab the canvas clyde in duck selvedge

i grabbed 28 in those (my typical old RRL size) and fit fine. still havent had time to hit up the store for an exchange and 29x32 is sold out in the slim fits online :(

Last edited:

Greedo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks, I was eyeballing those as well -- but I've learned to stick to the straight-legs for my tall build. Don't really need the slimming effects of slims (tend to make me look like a stork), and even the slim-straights (like the clydes and the slim-straight selvedge pants, which I ordered and returned) would probably look a lot better on me if I were shorter.

Last edited:

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RRL_Clothing, you really need your head examined

nobody else can copy vintage workwear, only RL???

it's really hard to sew cotton and wool in China

or look up old photos

Rising Sun, Freewheelers, Mister Freedom, John Lofgren, Ironheart, Buzz Rickson, Sugar Cane, Sunny Sports, Wallace & Barnes, Stevenson, Real McCoys, and all the Japanese repro companies etc, etc, etc

Ralph's the only guy to give your money to because he decides what YOU wear - are you that clueless?????

it's like somebody who waits Zegna to pick what suit he buys based on their choice of fabrics each season and they never consider anybody else

p.s. I have 50% of my wardrobe made for me with fabrics I choose, in designs I identity myself. Some are copies of RRL w/o the costumey embellishments. GO FIGURE

My last two custom jobs were a brown Wabash vest with a special run of fabric from Japan and a pea coat made with tweed from London Lounge. Maybe Ralph will offer one in 2020? LOL Good luck waiting

Last edited:

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL came out in 1993 (probably before you were even born.) Polo Country even earlier than that which recaptured vintage clothing and selvedge denim long before Mister Freedom, LVC and Rising Sun came along LOL. Wallace and Barnes isn't even a real label and has no B&M stores like RRL. Freewheelers stole their ideas from Big John which bought up old Levi's and tailored them to fit the Japanese market before making their own denims in the 80s and 90s.

Quote:
Wow getting all your crap custom-made for you.. so nxtlvl hipster. RRL has been offering Wabash Stifel fabrics for years, where have you been? Probably stealing RRL catalogs so you can knock-off your own pieces (sounds like you are somehow involved in counterfeits.) Now I can see why that catalog is for internal use only. Better check your facts, fool. Or better yet don't even bother addressing me anymore because you are not even worth my time.

Last edited:

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ and back in 1993 with only Ralph around, you would have been right

how's your PalmPilot holding up? I like my iPhone instead, just me

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you done? Can you go post in the Jcrew thread about your cool new chambray? Maybe you can start a thread called "custom-built-workwear" or something and try to get 1000+ pages on it and find like minded individuals who hate capitalism and overpriced Chinese crap? Seems like a waste of time hanging out in here, the RRL thread, hating on RRL and trying to convert others.

Last edited:

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RRL came out in 1993 (probably before you were even born.) Polo Country even earlier than that which recaptured vintage clothing and selvedge denim long before Mister Freedom, LVC and Rising Sun came along LOL. Wallace and Barnes isn't even a real label and has no B&M stores like RRL. Freewheelers stole their ideas from Big John which bought up old Levi's and tailored them to fit the Japanese market before making their own denims in the 80s and 90s.

Wow getting all your crap custom-made for you.. so nxtlvl hipster. RRL has been offering Wabash Stifel fabrics for years, where have you been? Probably stealing RRL catalogs so you can knock-off your own pieces (sounds like you are somehow involved in counterfeits.) Now I can see why that catalog is for internal use only. Better check your facts, fool. Or better yet don't even bother addressing me anymore because you are not even worth my time.

please buy yourself a clue...PLEASE

http://www.styleforum.net/t/290341/bespoke-with-als-attire-in-san-francisco/30#post_6443998

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads