1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's very trim, almost too slim. Unless you are skinny as hell I'd size up.

1 person likes this.
  2. pn2k

pn2k Active Member

Seems as though a lot of items this season have gone slimmer - shirts in particular.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  3. Cooly

Cooly Senior member

Depends on the shirt... some of the flannels are slimmer than others. This year, the ones marked "slim" are really actually slim in the body (I.e. The red and black "reliance" shirt).... this has not always been the case in the past when I didn't find that much difference when something was slim or not. The yellow check "worthy" shirt is pretty relaxed fitting. The other plaids are somewhere in between.

The striped and plain white selvedge oxfords as well as the dress chambray shirt definitely on the slim side.

In general I like the slim fit shirts except that if you work out at all, the button at the chest level gets a little tug/pull with movement. If you have too much of a gut, I don't see them working out that well without sizing up and tailoring...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  4. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

The additional 30% usually comes later in the season—December, as I recall. That's the usually the time when you can get an additional discount from stores.

5. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

Some feedback from anyone considering:

Received my first boxes from the 40% sale. Sizing - arrggggg. Aggravating. I am consistently a size Large in RRL sweaters for the past 5 years. Just received the indigo cotton/linen shawl, the black cotton/linen mock neck, and the cotton baseball bomber with chest patch. All three in size Large fit exactly like a size Medium - or smaller ! Terrible. I now have all three coming in size XL and I will report back when they arrive on Tuesday. How difficult is it to properly size merchandise???

6. koidragon

koidragon Senior member

Besides the fit ... how is the black mock/roll neck ?

7. pvoytko

pvoytko Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got this NWT for an unspeakable price cause of the nick that i took a photo of. I wore once last year and was going to get a tailor to fix it but i really dont wear suiting stuff like this or even have an opportunity to.

Id really like to see a member on here fix it and wear it so im offering it up for trade in anything in a size large (22"-23" p2p) or shoot me an offer. I think it retailed for 490.

edit measurements:
    tip to tip with the shoulders: its 11" across laying flat
    The second tips looks to be 21-22" depending on where the back begins and the front ends
    Very bottom tips are 19"

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  8. pn2k

pn2k Active Member

Yep I've had to size up this season too, it's very frustrating as I felt like they had it bang on before.

9. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

I was a bit more fortunate with the first batch of sale items that arrived today. For what it's worth, I've noticed that RRL sweaters seem to be the most inconsistent pieces in terms of sizing.

The Drucker sport coat is a bit darker than the web site image suggests but I like it a lot. A nice, slim fit in a Medium

The Snap-Front Utility Vest that came with the coat turns out to be much more of a sweater than a vest but that works for me. It goes well with a lot of pieces and is also a good fit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

Anybody been watching Westworld on HBO? Definitely an RRL sensibility to some of the wardrobe.

And get this; all the costumes were handmade—the production team found samples of vintage fabrics they liked and hired 3D print shops to recreate the fabrics used to produce the clothing.

That's right; the hosts (androids) manufactured with 3D printers are also wearing 3D-printed clothing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, I thought about posting this on Style Forum's new Westworld thread but that conversation had already degenerated into a frat-boy discussion about male genitalia.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bethany Heck

Bethany Heck Well-Known Member

That's super cool! I have been checking out the clothes to see if I recognize any RRL pieces, it's so cool to hear they are printing their own. The floral leather hat is a favorite of mine.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Agreed. I've only seen a couple of episodes on an HBO free weekend but it struck me as an excellent show. I've got multiple RRL pieces where I could cobble together a Man in Black-inspired fit, too - I just need the right hat. Good stuff.

Unrelated, I caught the end of 7 Years in Tibet last week and was digging Brad's fedora fit he's wearing as he leaves Lhasa. Normally fedoras are anathema, but he pulled it off well so I looked to see if the RRL fedora was still available. Sadly, only in a size S, which won't work for me.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  13. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

I'm also liking Logan's Confederales jacket.

[​IMG]

Notice the "Hand of the King" pin on the lapel? Maybe Season 2 will be set in "Westerosworld".

[​IMG]

14. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

One last RRL-Westworld connection; GQ tells us "How To Build a Westworld Wardrobe".

Because GQ's editors are the worst kind of fashion-industry whores, most of the pieces the article promotes have absolutely NOTHING to do with the show's inspired vintage-style clothing. Try to imagine the Man in Black wearing that ludicrous $7K Gucci trucker jacket!

Of the few items that do approximate the Westworld style, two are by RRL: the Drucker Corduroy Sport Coat and a Long-Sleeved Waffle Henley.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. malcb33

malcb33 Senior member

Loving this show. Pumped for the season finale on Sunday

1 person likes this.
  16. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

The Nick Fouquet fedora in GQ's "How To Build a Westworld Wardrobe" actually comes close.

[​IMG]

17. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

That hat is pretty nice but $1325? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit....

18. Bonesy

Bonesy Well-Known Member

The 40% off sweaters & outer wear is working on RRL.
    Just grabbed the indigo sport coat and the wool-blend sport coat for under $475, very happy.

1 person likes this.
  19. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I see he's done some collaborations with Borsalino, but they've left me thinking wtf? It seems the only thing that distinguishes them from Borsalino's own designs are that wooden match and maybe some very slight tweaks to brim size and peak that just do not seem to be all that creative or innovative. To each their own I guess, I don't get most modern art either..

20. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Totally agree. I don't see anything in this hat that would make it worth $1325. Frankly, I can't imagine ANY hat being worth $1325 unless it's maybe some kind of fur.

That being said, it fits the RRL aesthetic and I'd definitely wear it. It's a much better piece than most of the hats on Westworld, actually. The Jimmie Simpson character (guy in the white hat on the series) is especially atrocious. His hat, and whole outfit really, looks like he just stepped out of a Boot Barn somewhere in Texas.