1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

think I meant to quote a mix of you and Gruff, doing this on cell phone is just not easy...

2. pn2k

pn2k Active Member

Agreed.

The store is closing down today and will be replaced by Club Monaco, such a shame.

They have moved a RRL section into the Polo store but it's just not the same. The staff that work in there are so far up their own ass that it doesn't make for a good shopping experience.

There is talk of a smaller store opening in Carnaby Street or Covent Garden but I can't see it happening after reading those articles about downsizing the label.

I'm hoping that as RRL has such a cult following then it should stay but that didn't stop them when it came to cutting Rugby a few years ago.

3. FlaSurfer

FlaSurfer Well-Known Member

"Club Monaco" sounds like a brand you would see at Target/JC Penny. Never could get over that and haven't even looked at their website.

4. FlaSurfer

FlaSurfer Well-Known Member

Great look your grandpa had! I would wear that today.

1 person likes this.
  5. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

that looks like 11+ in leg opening though :happy:

1 person likes this.
  6. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Club Monaco actually stepped up in terms of both fit and quality by quite a bit as of late (I didn't check them out for nearly 8 years in between, so not sure if the progress is recent)

7. non boring

non boring Well-Known Member

If you purchased using Amex and/or Discover, they'll usually adjust the price for you. Never tried but it's part of the fine print for my Amex cards.

To whoever was asking about the denim jacket sizing, based on your measurements get size Small. Just know the length will prob hit exactly at your waist.

With regards to RRL, it's hard to say if/when they'll shut the brand completely off b/c I can't imagine the margins being low, with exception to the limited pieces and/or leather goods. Majority of the tops (tees/wovens/sweaters) should at minimum have IMU's of 75% or greater, while the denim should be closer to the 55-60% range, so net net after clearance/discounts they're still making decent margins/profit. Stefan is just applying the H&M logic but it's a little different when you're applying to a brand that prides itself on quality and heritage vs value & impulse.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Damn, told myself I wasn't going to get anything this season other than a shirt or two.
    Ended up ordering the leather biker jacket, the A2 flight jacket, and the engineer boots.

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

or..."for white guys like me with a no gym habiit"

I like the aesthetic and love the fact that I can get a L or XL in teh brand. I've gotten real lucky via ebay as the big sizes sit around for a while.

I'd be bummed if RRL got shuttered. As you said, I hope the fact that Ralph has a soft spot for RRL keeps it around for a while longer.

10. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

Very cool! When do you think this photo was taken? 1930's?

11. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

Nice gear. I had heard of them but assumed they were Japanese.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Levi's Vintage Clothing, a heritage brand that's somewhat hit-and-miss with their theme-driven collections. The brand's core offering is vintage-style denim—faithful reproductions that duplicate the "fit, fabric, and details" of workwear dating back to 1890. While fascinating from an historical standpoint, many of the reproductions are too high-waisted and roomy for men accustomed to modern, slimmer cuts.

In addition to selected LVC vintage denim ('47, '54 and '55 501 jeans) I own a number of LVC's Italian-made flannel shirts and some outerwear reproductions that include a 1930's Menlo Leather Jacket, a 1967 Sherpa-Lined Trucker and an iconic 1960's Suede Trucker Jacket.

Who knows? If RRL is axed maybe some of the brand's ex-designers will migrate to the Bay Area and revitalize LVC.

12. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

I agree. They are often way off!

13. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Doesn't Wrangler have a completely vintage-like line called "blue bell" that has a similar aesthetic?

14. Bethany Heck

Bethany Heck Well-Known Member

Here's the striped canvas jacket and the indigo polo. The jacket is hard to photograph, it's actually a pretty dark beige, much darker than it looks on the website. The second pic is a truer representation of the color. It fits much truer to size than the sack coat jacket they have on sale currently, which I had to send back because it swallowed me whole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In regards to RRL sizing, it's the only brand of this style that I can reliably shop at. The Japanese brands often don't come in XS; frankly RRL is one of the only brands like this who sell XS. I would be devastated if they shuttered it, so I've been on a spree to beef up my collection in case the worst happens.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    3 people like this.
  15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

That Menlo jacket is a beauty..

1 person likes this.
  16. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

No, shortly after he returned home from WWII, so late 1940s..

1 person likes this.
  17. subdivide

subdivide Senior member

Who owns a pair of the green limited edition slim fits? These came out in...2015?

I'm curious about the sizing - does this pair match up with typical RRL slim fit sizing, or did they come out larger / smaller in the waist / thigh, etc?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

18. abcdefghijkl

abcdefghijkl Member

Comparisons between
    Olive LE 32 / East West 32x32 / Fairmont 32x32
    Waist 17.5 / 17.5 / 17.5
    Front rise 10.5 / 10 / 10.5
    Back rise 15 / 15 / 15
    Thigh 11 / 11 / 11
    Knee 8.5 / 8.5 / 8.5
    Leg opening 8 / 7.5 / 7.5
    Inseam 36.5 / 33.5 / 34.5

The Olive LE denim feels thinner/lighter than the others so that slightly affects the fit also.

1 person likes this.
  19. oynag

oynag Senior member

Thank you for the pictures. That jacket has been on my wish list.

On the topic of stripes and summer items, I ordered this and kept it:

[Edit: forgot the picture- just stock photo, need to do some fit pics]

[​IMG]

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=90497176

It's longer in the body than I expected and I'm surprised that I like it that way. It's not t-shirt material. It's a light knit. Good for evenings.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  20. Bespoke 51

Bespoke 51 Well-Known Member

FYI- RRL is not part of corporate PRL. It is under the sole proprietary ownership of and controlled by Ralph.