1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dell1982

dell1982 Member

It's such a hit or miss with the colors when ordering some times

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. deez nuts

deez nuts Well-Known Member

3. aquila49

aquila49 Well-Known Member

Heading to NYC this coming weekend and am planning to stop by one of the RRL stores. Which venue do local folks prefer, the store in the Village or the one in Soho?

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions for other "don't miss" stores. I'll be staying in Manhattan, near the Fulton Street subway station.

Thanks!

4. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Well-Known Member

Broadway for its size and selection but Bleeker for its nice confined space that will allow you to see everything clearly. I almost always go to both but Broadway is my choice. Broadway also has a nice selection for woman so ikeep that in mind f your are going with a GF or wife. As for other stores the Bleeker st store has some good shopping and eats within walking distance.

Others:

- Blue & green in Soho
    - Self Edge on Orchard street . On the corner you will find the best brick oven pizza on the planet Goodfellas Pizza (my father created many of the pizzas on the menu I.e the Sallie pie)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  5. aquila49

aquila49 Well-Known Member

I will definitely add Blue & Green to itinerary. And I check out the pizza parlor as well.

The advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

6. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Well-Known Member

are those the button downs or are they crew neck sweatshirts?

7. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Jeans help (possibly asking the impossible)...

I've got a pair of brown slim bootcut japanese selvedge in a 36 and I really like the denim, they're the perfect fit in seat, thigh, leg. I even like the rise, but they're a bit big in the waist - okay with a belt, but pretty much 1.5" too wide. I'm looking for a washed/distressed blue pair with basically the same fit but a tighter waist. If I size down to a 34 I'm worried that what's a nice fit elsewhere will suddenly become overly slim (with US 12 feet - overly slim looks ridiculous) or I'll find waist sizing isn't consistently generous.

Are different washes/finishes generally consistent in size? Is the American selvedge similarly sized to the Japanese?

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

I really like the slim bootcut, but after trying just about every fit they've got, I finally dialed in my favorite as the low straights. I size down 2-3 sizes (I am a 33 to 34 so I buy low straights in a W31) and these are pretty perfect. The rise feels very similar to slim bootcut, and of course, since the legs are straight, I don't risk looking like I'm wearing my high school son's jeans.. I'd give the low straights a shot and I'd actually go ahead and size down to the 34 to start..

2 people like this.
  9. Dirty Denim

Low straights are excellent. Every measurement is right on the money for me. They give you all the benefits of a nice fitting jean without looking skinny. They are also comfy to wear

1 person likes this.
  10. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

Surprised all you dudes tend to size down on RRL denim. I'm also a waist 33/34 but I almost always go for my regular size and RRL denim seems to fit just fine. On the other hand, I lift and incorporate heavy squats and lunges into my routine so that may have something to do with how they fit.

Lowest I've gone is W32 on a pair of low slims in wheat, and that's doable but nut bustingly tight in the top block. I would have preferred 33s or 34s but found them stupid cheap at an outlet so I had to kop. They're starting to stretch a little, though.

On the other hand, to compare the RL lines, with Black Label denim I find that 34 fits more like a 32 and I have to size up one. Black is generally cut way slimmer than RRL, however. Ranking the fit of the lines, I find Purple Label to be the most generous cut, PRL and RRL to be middle and Black Label the slimmest. I don't wear the specialty lines (Golf and RLX).

1 person likes this.
  11. Dirty Denim

Are we talking about downsizing based on RRL's vanity sized bottoms or are some actually taking it further by buying a tagged 32 (measured 34) with a (body) waist that measures 36?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  12. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Thanks folks - I hadn't considered the Lows based on the fact I don't really like low rise jeans, but from measurements they look more like what many a manufacturer would term mid-rise. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap pair in a was I like. I' wish jeans were made to tagged size (or with raw expected shrinkage) - my Studio D'Artisan;s are about 3" under tagged size and the RRL seem a good 2+ " over tagged size...

1 person likes this.
  13. gnatty8

Haha, I have a true waist that is 33" to 34" and I downsize to W31

14. Dirty Denim

What i would do to have my shape prior to getting married and becoming a father.

Before ( 190lbs May 2011 )

[​IMG]

AFTER ( This was for my daughters Farm themed party in 2014 where I was at my biggest 240lbs )

[​IMG]

15. PCFIVEZ

PCFIVEZ Well-Known Member

I just love wearing RRL because it fits so well and looks so awesome...only problem is now that I have acquired a concealed carry here in NYC, RRL clothes sort of make it hard for me to do just that. fortunately, winter is here now so i wont have to worry about a sharp bulge for a few months.

i left my oversized denim and sweatshirts back in the nineties...anybody here have that same issue and have addressed it?

btw, i prefer not to hold anything with a barrel that is under 4" and i hate IWB holsters...so please don't suggest any of those two methods.

16. dell1982

dell1982 Member

The other 2 methods would be not wearing RRL or leaving the gun at home since you don't wanna go compact or use a IWB holster.

I feel your pain....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  17. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

I'm digging the suspenders. Kind of hard to tell, but how are they attached to your jeans?

18. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

On the upside, you look a little like Russell Crowe in the second pic, and your style is a thousand times more on point. Look for the positives. :)

19. gnatty8

I hear you.. I went from 165 to 210 at my heaviest, before diet and exercise brought me back to 170 where I seem to have settled out. Many years of living in hotels and eating shit food were mainly to blame..

20. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

There were a couple of threads about concealed carry with SW&D wardrobes a while back:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/298005/covert-fashion-aka-fashionable-concealed-carry-menswear/
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/265140/concealed-carry/

I'm not a gun guy so I haven't read through them, but there might be some tips in there.