1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cooly

Cooly Senior member

I think the quality of RRL great/above average..but when you ask the internet you will get a wide amount of opinion and it depends on who/what you are comparing it too. I'm very fond of RRL sweaters and have been for [too many] years. They last a long time and do not pile (unlike cheaper ones from j. crew or banana I've owned).

I'm not too familiar with Dior Homme - but I'm not sure it's an apples to apples comparison to RRL, but rather should be compared to it's big brother RL's Purple Label. The Purple Label is made in Italy and is the flagship designed label (like Dior Homme). The pricing is more comparable between Purple and Dior Homme as well - while RRL is much - much less.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

I am a RRL fan without a doubt but some of their eye candy pieces when in hand end up being no better than mall quality disappointments.

RRL does patterns and styles really well but their fabric is nothing special in comparison to the price. For instance they did this amazing work jacket I drooled over with a MSRP of $800 but when I went to the store it was honestly no better than the gap. This is why i wont buy full price unless i see it in store.

I should say their bottoms are almost always great but their tops are where they tend to disappoint

3. Dirty Denim

Agreed on the sweaters. I even think DS has great sweaters

4. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

True with the current pricing of DH but they used to be cheaper, more around the 300-400 euros for sweaters which made them comparable to RRL now. Thanks for your answer, it sheds some light!

That's a bit my feeling as well. Thanks for sharing. Anyway after trying out, it turns out even the S is too big for me.

5. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Here's the new Carmack liner jacket. Icon Henley. Midland denim. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Looking good Robert! I had my eye on that jacket, but have too many of these quilted style jackets. I opted for the Washed Denim jacket. I am also wearing the Kane Cotton Western shirt from the fall, low-straight Stillwater wash jeans and Alden Snuff Suede boots. I also ordered the Ranch Hand jacket. The Midland jeans are still on my radar. I definitely want a pair of lighter wash denim jeans.

Oh by the way, you are a much better poser :)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Cooly

Cooly Senior member

That looks great Walds!...you made the indigo on indigo on indigo work...you may have sold me on the indy suedes too..

8. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Thanks bro! I also have a pair of Alden x Leather Soul Ultimate Indys. I need to figure out what to wear with this new denim western shirt that I just picked up.

http://m.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13088111&cp=11588650.12138271

I'd definitely do denim shirt and jeans, along with the Ranch Hand jacket, but definitely not the denim jacket.

9. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

Nice job putting those pieces together, dude!

10. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

Being an RRL enthusiast is a learning experience. I get frustrated by the lack of accurate sizing information, oversaturated product photos, and occasional shoddiness. You shouldn't have to take a $200+ shirt to a tailor to replace buttons that fall off or are too small for the button holes.

On the other hand …

No one else does this kind of heritage clothing better than RRL. If I were to take Marie Kondo's advice to heart and keep only those items that "spark joy," the majority of clothing left in my closet would bear the RRL label.

11. Cooly

Cooly Senior member

I too thought about the carmack jacket but went with the pea coat (couldn't do both :) ) needed something heavier. Great color combo. I've been thinking about the henley (especially when/if they go on sale) - the black shoes really make the most of the jacket ....

12. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

My advice? Be careful.

I've ruined two pairs of rigid chinos by soaking/washing them in cold water AFTER having them hemmed. They shrunk dramatically, despite being air-dried. (By the way, the same pants didn't shrink at the waist.)

Nowadays, I treat the four pairs I own like selvedge jeans. No hemming—I roll up the cuffs and avoid washing them as long as I can. If any of them become impossibly dirty, I may risk hand washing them in cold water. After that, I haven't a clue.

Of course, this is my personal experience. If anyone has a better strategy I would love to hear it. By the way, Ralph Lauren was unable to provide any useful advice.

Good luck.

13. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

haha! i started the book but haven't finished it yet.

14. boxdok

boxdok Senior member

I have had my RRL chinos dry cleaned before and they shrank a little in the waist but they stretch right beck out

15. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

If you want good quality chunky sweater try Inis Meain or Scotch and Soda. Think they're both a better value proposition than Purple Label

16. oynag

oynag Senior member

Taking pictures of Vibergs, realized I was wearing all RRL. Low-Straight Once-Washed (but not washed by me) and a flannel from F/W14.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Dirty Denim

Viberg service boot may be the best looking boot around, nice slim silhouette, perfect for up or down dressing

18. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Nice man, you definitely pull off denim on denim well. Did you pick up the cotton twill Jacket? I'm interested in seeing that jacket as well.

Off topic: the boots from my pic are Viberg Stealth from 3Sixteen. Viberg is top notch stuff.

19. boxdok

boxdok Senior member

Has anyone seen the limited edition Schott peacoat in person. I was wondering if it had a slimmer fit or a more boxy fit.Any review would be helpful.Thanks

20. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Thanks man! I ordered the Cotton Twill jacket the other day. It goes by the Ranch Hand jacket in the fall lookbook. I should have it sometime next week.

[​IMG]