1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I had that shirt. Had to return it, it's fairly slim fitting. A medium on me was like a muscle shirt, not a good look. Want to size up to L but haven't gotten around to reordering.

If you decide to order, you might want to consider getting your normal size and one size larger, compare the two for fit and return one.

2. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Most of my jeans are medium to dark wash. RRL has this shirt in a rinse wash, but it is a really light wash. They also have a dark wash with no fading, darker than the one I referenced above.

If I decide to order, I’ll most likely go with a large since it’s a slim-fit shirt. I recently ordered the Kane Cotton Western Shirt in large. The Kane is a slim-fit shirt and it fits me right on. I wear large in RL Polo custom fit shirts and medium in classic fit.

What were your first impressions of the shirt?

3. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

SIAP, but what is the fit equivalent on the slim narrows in slim fits or low straights? In the latter 2, I'm pretty consistently 31x32. Should I go 32x32 for the slim narrows? TIA

4. carloso

carloso Senior member

I have the rinse wash shirt as well.

My chest size is between 38-40 and I went with the medium I don't think a small would fit me, I'm 5'6" so the sleeves and length is a bit too long for my liking.

Here's a picture of me with the rinse wash for reference.
    [​IMG]

5. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

My impressions, quality-wise the shirt is superb. Fairly meaty denim, solid construction, nice hardware. You're correct in that it seems to never go on sale and pretty much sits at ~$265, but it's a great piece that will last a long time and only look better with wear.

I wouldn't pay that much for most RRL shirts, as they're not really worth what they're asking, but I do think the denim western shirts are fairly priced. Look at it as an investment and as a piece you intend to wear for a long time and the price suddenly makes a little more sense.

6. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Also, for those more interested in RRL's cowboy aesthetic, this guy pulls it off well: https://instagram.com/long_knife/

He's got quite a few pics of him in RRL, as well as more general Western themed photos.

7. aquila49

aquila49 Senior member

There is much vanity in RRL sizing.

I like a 16.0 to 16.5 inch waist measured flat (depending on the rise and fit) and always buy denim and chinos in a size 30. I would recommend getting your RLL denim in a 29 or 30 waist. If there's an Ralph Lauren store near you that sells RRL, go there and try some jeans on in different fits.

Invest the time before you start buying stuff online.

8. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Looking good! The rinse wash is way too light for my liking. Reminds me of stoned washed jeans from back in the day :) The one I referenced in the link above is more of a medium, faded wash, which I prefer. I just have to be careful not to have an exact match shirts with jeans.

9. walds11

walds11 Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. Agreed, I would never pay the going rate for most RRL shirts, but the Dark Wash Denim Shirt is a core item that I intend to wear for a long time...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  10. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

No prob. If you're trying to figure out what to pair it with, I'd go with non-indigo denim. Something like their canvas buckle-back pants: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=65354936

You could always take the Canadian suggestion, though, although I prefer to mix the indigo top with some sort of brown pant.

11. carloso

carloso Senior member

I was actually able to get the rinse wash western shirt for about 100 USD last december at the west broadway location

12. walds11

walds11 Senior member

I wear chinos to work and jeans all other times, so I'll most likely go with the Canadian look :)

13. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Lol yeah, I don't dislike the Canadian look. There's a pic of Jason Statham floating around on the web where he's wearing the dark indigo wash with darkish denim and it actually looks ok.

And the other poster mentioning he got his shirt on sale at West Broadway reminds me, it's true that you can sometimes get deals on items in-store that you can't on the website. So, if you can get to an RL store that carries RRL during the next big holiday sale (Thanksgiving? Christmas?) you might luck out.

14. walds11

walds11 Senior member

I am in the Philly area, so no RRL action around here. I've been ordering RRL stuff online, which can be a pain if you need to figure out sizing. I reached out to one of the RRL stores in NY and they said this item will never go one sale because it is a core item.

15. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I suggest a day trip up to NYC, then. If you've never been, West Broadway RRL is an amazing store. The Mansion also carries some RRL.

1 person likes this.
  16. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

Yup the sleeves and overall length are long on these westerns with me being forced to wear it tucked in. On top of the length the chest on a XL came in a bit over 25inches PTP

17. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Anybody own the indigo dyed slim fit cords? Thoughts?

18. boxdok

boxdok Senior member

I saw them in person. They are really nice and they have a nice slim fit with a taper. It has a really strong overdye though and they are a really dark blue. Warning, they may bleed everywhere. At 420 they are a little over priced for me. If they drop under 300 they are a definite buy. I think they will pair really nice with a denim jacket and some boots for fall.

19. kaosjm

kaosjm New Member

Does anyone know where these might still be available? They seem impossible to find now especially in a 36". I wish I purchased them when I had the chance!

20. Cooly

Cooly Senior member

Own them - love them - highly recommend them...

Definitely my favorite pair of cords in a long while. I shopped around for a bunch of high priced cords and liked the color and fit of these the best.

Warning - they bleed over everything ... Crocked my belts and the inside of my new khaki ranch hand jacket blue - the bleeding is just starting to subside ... But the color is killer. Will have to wash them soon - first time after like 20 wears - hoping for the best.