1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. stylexchangemtl

stylexchangemtl Senior member

Ditto here, interesting to see the difference, but imo the cut is the most important aspect.

2. Nookitect

Nookitect Well-Known Member

I was looking at the beginning of this thread at the stores that carry RRL, but it didn't mention any outlet stores. I know there aren't any dedicated RRL outlets, but was curious if there are any RL outlets that are generally the stores that get all of the RRL leftovers? Does anyone know which would be my best bet to call to track something down?

Thanks!

3. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

The RL outlet stores are full of people with no idea what they are selling. Many have no idea what RRL even is. You are better off calling stores that carry RRL with hopes they didnt send it back to the warehouse. Outlets from what I know arent getting what they did in the past so its unlikely they will have much

4. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

Thats the sad truth. They're no longer "outlets" but "luxury stores" at an outlet location. They have a good selection of current sale items that would be on the website without any further reductions. When I asked why they exclude RRL from their sales they said it was too high in demand

5. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Folks, public service announcement: I recently ordered that red RRL cardigan with the southwestern print. Someone posted pics of it a few pages back. It was the last one in stock, a size large selling for ~$500.

Unfortunately, it arrived and I immediately noticed a pulled thread in the right shoulder. Almost like it was torn or something. I figured it'd eventually turn into a hole so back it goes as damaged.

So, if you've been looking for that piece, be aware that it'll probably pop back up soon on the website but caveat emptor. You might be able to live with the damage but I wasn't taking the chance for the price.

6. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Good looking out. I almost ordered that piece in that size.

7. rrlHEAD

rrlHEAD Active Member

The Ralph Lauren outlet store at Woodbury Commons gets a lot of RRL, at least it did the last time I was there--it's located near the Polo Outlet, adjacent to it. Wish I lived closer than 7 hours away, but Woodbury Commons is a must-stop for me whenever I take the drive back home for holidays. As for the Polo Factory Outlets, not so much. Occasionally, especially around the holidays, some of the Polo outlets at the premium outlet malls might get a couple of racks or RRL, Black/Purple label in, and if so, it'll be priced at 75% off the lowest ticked price, plus maybe 30% off at the register with a storewide sale, plus whatever 20%, 25% or sometimes 50% off coupon you might get in your email, so it's a steal--you get $600 items for $30 or $40 almost like they're paying you to shop there, and most of the customers in the store have no idea what RRL is so they leave it alone because they're shopping for "Polo"--but it's extremely rare. I wish RL would spread more of it around to various outlets to give more people a shot at the bargains, instead of always sending it to the same outlet stores, where it usually ends up in the hands of eBay resellers before anyone else can get it.

8. papillo

papillo Well-Known Member

Yea they have reduced the amount of RRL they send to the factory stores. Even Woodbury has seen a reduction from what I've heard.

9. Lord Nick

Lord Nick Senior member

Anyone aware of the next private sale date?

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Last year's private sale started Oct 21.

11. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Can confirm. A big reduction, actually. I was there back during Memorial Day weekend and they had half a rack of psr RRL. HALF a rack. Some pants from the holiday season, a few sizes of one type of jacket from last Fall and some t-shirts. Still bought whatever was in my size, though haha.

Contrast that with when I hit Woodbury during Memorial Day 2014 and they had quite a bit of RRL. A round rack of basic cardigans, straight leg denim in various sizes (all one wash, though), basic button down workshirts. Nothing really fancy or limited edition but a great deal on some basics.

Maybe things will change but it seems like they've made some permanent alterations at WC. If you're into Purple or Black label you can still get a hell of a deal on a lot of nice pieces, however. They had a ton of PL and BL when I was there. Snagged a nice PL cashmere sweater that was originally like 2 grand for something like $150.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  12. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I'm sure you'd notice plenty of differences if you handle and try on both of them, but the biggest one at first glance is the shoulder construction. The RRL appears to have a more rounded shoulder attachment - more akin to what you'd see on a cardigan, for example - while the blue label has a more squared-off attachment. If you're going to wear it over an odd jacket, the blue label one will probably work better than the RRL one; if you're just going to wear it over a shirt or a sweater, the RRL one will be fine and may look better than the blue label one depending on your build and the aesthetic you're going for. Fit is going to be a big factor as well (obvs) and may end up being more important than the differences in pattern and styling. There are also a bunch of other peacoat options out there, and IMO with any Ralph Lauren label you're to some extent paying for the brand name in addition to the garment. Unrelated: There's a 30% off promo for select items on the web site, but it doesn't appear to apply to any men's RRL.

13. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Not anymore.

There is a Ralph Lauren store in Woodbury Commons. It's an outlet concept but close to end-of season price at full retail price stores. But collections are pretty recent so there could be some deals to be had.

Not a lot of RRLs make to outlets these days. Maybe RL tightened up their inventories recently or maybe they are just stocking up at the warehouse so they can send it to outlets when they are ready to make some rooms for coming seasons.

What I heard from the management early summer was that the big Polo store will be selling PSRs again like they used to. It will be straight up 75% off of the lowest ticket price but there will be 5 items limit like always.

Best place to snag a deal would be Soiffer Haskin during summer and winter.

14. Dirty Denim

I was wondering if this was a move Ralph made because he knew he would be stepping down. Maybe to help bring up the margins?

15. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Man, that really, really sucks. That RL outlet was the best thing about Woodbury, sad to hear they've changed it up.

On the other hand, I enjoy hitting random outlets for PSRs. It's like finding a gem in a mountain of dirt when you randomly uncover that one nice RRL piece. Makes me appreciate it all the more.

16. Dirty Denim

17. London

London Senior member

18. Cooly

Cooly Senior member

Edit

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  19. walds11

walds11 Senior member

All these links are dead. Does anyone have a good link or an electronic version of this article or magazine issue? TIA!

20. oynag

oynag Senior member

Keep your antennae up for a Columbus Day sale though. Fall 2015 items maybe.