• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to local army surplus store, it will be close at maybe $10 max. Then cut off RRL patch off of a shirt hem or something and stitch it onto cap

captainshields

Reaction score
Go to local army surplus store, it will be close at maybe $10 max. Then cut off RRL patch off of a shirt hem or something and stitch it onto cap

Bought a couple modern us surplus ones that I'm gonna customize ;)

Still looking for an RRL one though...

Last edited:

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw that one but the seller refuses to ship it to Canada without using the ****** Global Shipping Program even though I offered to pay him direct through Paypal as a gift. I almost had him convinced but now that you posted this link the auction has jumped from $17 to $40 so Im almost certain he will let it ride out now.

Oh yeah, that ridiculous Pitny Bowles import charges crap. I've had to cut back my ebay purchasing by 70% or so because of increasing numbers of sellers who utilize it. Paying import charges doesn't bother me per se, but I'd rather have Canada customs make the decision. That cap, for example, would sale right through customs, I know it would. If the Canadian border doesn't care, why should they? It's just a money grabber for non-existent charges....

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh yeah, that ridiculous Pitny Bowles import charges crap. I've had to cut back my ebay purchasing by 70% or so because of increasing numbers of sellers who utilize it. Paying import charges doesn't bother me per se, but I'd rather have Canada customs make the decision. That cap, for example, would sale right through customs, I know it would. If the Canadian border doesn't care, why should they? It's just a money grabber for non-existent charges....

I constantly buy things from the US and I never pay import fees. I have bought so many things over the past few years and never once have I paid a cent in import fees. The only time you pay any kind of fees is if the seller uses FedEx or UPS and that is because they are charging you to bring it across the border which is totally just a cash grab for them.

I have had a bit of success directly messaging sellers and asking if they can just send it to me directly. Another option is to change your main eBay mailing address to a US address then once you have purchased the item just message the seller and ask them to send you an invoice with international shipping. I would say that 95% of the time the seller has no idea they even opted in for the Global Shipping Program so they don't even question it. Out of all the many times I have now done this I have only had one seller tell me that they liked the idea of the GSP but once I explained to them how it really works they agreed that it was crap and just sent it direct anyway.

The other thing I have heard about this Global Shipping Program is buyers being charged for the shipping to the eBay shipping facility, as well as shipping from there to the buyer and the import fees, but the seller has no clue about any of this so they just send the item directly to the buyer. In that case you just paid a bunch of money for absolutely nothing. eBay is cashing in big time on this stupid joke of a system. The way I see it, if I am going to be stuck paying 50% of the cost of the item in import fees, plus inflated shipping charges, I would rather just pay the buyer to ship it directly to me using express overnight shipping with signature confirmation. In most cases that would still be a cheaper option and I wouldn't be stuck waiting two or three times as long to receive what I bought.

It makes me mad just thinking about this kind of crap. They are telling the sellers that it is for their own protection so they cant get scammed when all the seller needs to do is send it with any form of tracking and they are good to go.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not any form of tracking, a signature over $250 and detailed tracking to your zipcode. If it just says delivered to your country, sellers can still get scammed. I only ship ems international, it starts at approx $40 but weeds of most trolls and is very reliable.

If someone buys something to a US address then requests international, they will either pay for ems, or I will cancel the order.

If I had a nickle each time an international said mark it $20 gift and send it first class.... Then when it goes missing they open disputes and blame the seller for their own stupidity. Ebay will tell you to use gsp so you are covered next time. What is a seller to do? I can see why they use it, even if its a total ripoff to buyers.

Last edited:

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not any form of tracking, a signature over $250 and detailed tracking to your zipcode. If it just says delivered to your country, sellers can still get scammed. I only ship ems international, it starts at approx $40 but weeds of most trolls and is very reliable.

If someone buys something to a US address then requests international, they will either pay for ems, or I will cancel the order.

If I had a nickle each time an international said mark it $20 gift and send it first class.... Then when it goes missing they open disputes and blame the seller for their own stupidity. Ebay will tell you to use gsp so you are covered next time. What is a seller to do? I can see why they use it, even if its a total ripoff to buyers.

If you check the tracking number on the Canada Post website it continues the tracking info to the customer's door. USPS usually stops tracking as soon as it leaves the country but Canada Post picks it up from there. I have only ever had one package arrive at my door but not confirm delivery.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To Canada. What about Turkey or Russia? You cant choose your customers, therefore you use ems for all your listings as the standard. If I could set shipping services for each country I would be open to Priority or lower for some, but you cant.

alex99

Reaction score

Remember, only works on new items, not existing sales items.  Those are already marked down + you get the 20-50-150 discount.  The bizrate would be the third discount.

At any rate, it worked for me.  I had to place two separate orders to get maximum value of the 20-50-150 deal, but final savings were close to 40%.

Cheers.

Code worked great, thanks. I got the -50 deal plus code and free shipping for a nice savings on some of the new indigo dyed tees. The black indigo tee looks especially nice.

DJ Quaaludes

Reaction score
To Canada. What about Turkey or Russia? You cant choose your customers, therefore you use ems for all your listings as the standard. If I could set shipping services for each country I would be open to Priority or lower for some, but you cant.

Can't you set options for certain countries? I believe I read something along the lines of being able to set an option for something like Canada then using GSP for the rest. http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#offering See 'Alternative Shipping Options'. I haven't tried doing this yet mind you so I'm not sure if this works or not.

I've used GSP simply because I'd rather not ship internationally and eBay will take the hit if the item gets lost on its way to the destination country. It really isn't buyer friendly, but it is a rare 'seller friendly' option in what seems like a buyer oriented policy philosophy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads