• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transcendental

Reaction score

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with China's quality control or construction. Most of RL's clothing comes from China anyway. I am a proponent of being competitive and making clothing outside US, Italy, etc.

However this will significantly lower the brands prestige since the denim was the core product. What I don't like is jeans made of Japanese selvedge and in the USA going for $360 then next season being made in China using Chinese denim for the same price. It's clear RL's profits will be higher and the consumer pays more for a lesser quality product.

Why would I pay $250+ for Chinese jeans when I can get Japanese jeans for the same price. It doesn't make sense to a denim enthusiast. RRL will become another ubiquitous mall-brand like Polo if everything comes from China. I suppose that is good for business... selling mass produced rehashed junk at ridiculous prices then at huge discounts is still better for the bottom line...

Yes- absolutely I agree. Just threw in my .02 as I didn't know your particular thoughts. I still recommend RRL as an eBay buy for people stepping into the brand. I don't find the idea lowered prestige too stinging. I understand for purists/collectors this may not be the case, but a simple pragmatic pair will get it done for me, while the ethos may have changed. Has it been determined that the denim is created in China? Maybe the final production occurs there? I did a quick search but I did not find much. As far as Cone goes, some of the separate/newer stuff is also complete trash in comparison, so that's why I hesitate to change my thoughts on country of origin.

Last edited:

RandJG1

Reaction score
Just noticed new items on RRL online. Empire Denim buckle backs and a brown/butterscotch motorcycle leather jacket. Anyone know when we might see the rest?

sskku

Reaction score
I went with a 31, a size down from my standard chino size. fit tight out of the box but have loosened up some.
9uLlxh

Last edited:

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol i didnt know "Dave's photos" were yours, Dave_SFU!

Last edited:

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm here now. Sad I know. Its 80 off most stuff. A lot of 36 reg sports jackets but the style is really underwhelming. A few purple label here and there retailing at 3000 for the sports jacket.
?

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lord Nick

Reaction score
Check the uk site they seem to have just about all if the new stuff online already, then you know what to expect when we get it .

indigoeagle

Reaction score
Check the uk site they seem to have just about all if the new stuff online already, then you know what to expect when we get it .

Where do you see that?
Also, it seems like they changed the Eurpean sites in that you cannot have a non-flash view of RRL items anymore. If you put something in your cart and then click on it, it won't appear under RRL in non-flash but just under the category like 'jeans'.
For some time weirdly RRL items were also shown within a Denim&Supply frame. But that seems to have been corrected.

indigoeagle

Reaction score
Ha, a simple search for RRL is doing the trick :)
Some pretty cool shirts (the indigo with reddish polka dots stands out; new bulldog shirts (striped and indigo plaid (this unfortunately heavily washed) , shawl collar cardigan, sports coat, striped sweater

. Great is the beach cloth vest.
And is the denim jacket any different from the recent LE one? Heavier fabric perhaps.

vcof2005

Reaction score

Why wouldn't they be legit? What reason do you have for suspecting they are possibly fake? Have you actually read any of this thread at all?

Haha. I've read a lot of this thread but I have a job and life so I can't study the whole thing. I know there are plenty of experts on here so I seeked out expert knowledge. Kind of like if I wanted to buy a car and knew little about them I would seek out an expert to help me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads