• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
Totally agree with the J.Crew sentiments. To use another members description, they're so "shameless." Don't get me wrong, they make some good stuff now and then, but ultimately they're taking (some of) RRL's image and charging more for it! That just boggles my mind.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of which, could anyone recommend selvedge rigid chinos from another brand? I know Levi's made and crafted offered a couple colors. Wondering where else I can find a pair for sub $175ish. I really like the feel of the 10.5oz and 11+oz LE chinos offered a few years ago but the newer season fabric is underwhelming

N&F has a few in different colors and fits--made in canada, japanese fabric, you can find them on sale for $70 range. However, they are semi-soft and not raw like RRL (you can try starching them up).

boxdok

Reaction score
I bought these two Shuttle Notes shirt from J.Crew and I happen to like them a lot. They have a nice slim fit. They are little long but that works well for me since I'm tall and they are really well made, they have a triple stitch runoff which is an interesting detail. I would highly recommend these shirts to anyone who is a fan of RRL.

Baldomero

Reaction score
I like J Crew but they can be shameless sometimes

Quote:
They're not exactly the same... different buttons, different stitching, different sized belt loops, different color selvage, doesn't look as rigid either.

They say to go some time without washing because that's what you're supposed to do with selvage, isn't it? Are customers not allowed to know because RRL did it first?

There are so few entries in the selvage chino market that I, for one, welcome a little competition.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're not exactly the same... different buttons, different stitching, different sized belt loops, different color selvage, doesn't look as rigid either.

They say to go some time without washing because that's what you're supposed to do with selvage, isn't it?  Are customers not allowed to know because RRL did it first?

There are so few entries in the selvage chino market that I, for one, welcome a little competition.

they're such a clear rip off though based on the details, even the pricing...and then they have the audacity, as j crew does, to charge more than the original

don't disagree with the last comment necessarily, but if you're going to enter the market, add something, don't just poach what already exists

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought these two Shuttle Notes shirt from J.Crew and I happen to like them a lot. They have a nice slim fit. They are little long but that works well for me since I'm tall and they are really well made, they have a triple stitch runoff which is an interesting detail. I would highly recommend these shirts to anyone who is a fan of RRL.
at $198, you can do a lot better

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J crew is moving up there in the world.

I think it was either Nudie or LVC that pushed the whole "don't wash raw denim for 6 months" thing back in the early 2000s.

6 months is such an arbitrary number.. it all depends on how hard it's worn (or how smelly.)

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Yea man, **** J. Crew for copying a pair of repro chinos that are a direct reproduction of a pant that dozens of different firms (not including Ralph Lauren!) produced for years and years. You can't complain about copying in the repro market when literally everything is already a copy.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly if/when the J Crew / Wallace and Barnes chinos go on sale (their higher priced items do tend to get discounted eventually), I'll check them out.

Baldomero

Reaction score
they're such a clear rip off though based on the details, even the pricing...and then they have the audacity, as j crew does, to charge more than the original

don't disagree with the last comment necessarily, but if you're going to enter the market, add something, don't just poach what already exists

Oh please.

Every raw denim jean ever made by anyone ever is a clear rip off of someone else based on the details, even the pricing, and some of them even have the audacity to charge more than others

Don't make raw denim if raw denim already exists. If you do, add something, like pink butterflies on the back pocket.

Funny how you (not particularly you) laud RRL for staying classic and true to original garment designs and dismiss someone else for doing the same thing.

Drpunch

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the sizing is like on RRL denim jackets? I am thinking about getting one but I am unsure if they how they fit. I am a fairly slim and I usually where small in most jackets but depending on the fit I can wear XS. I tried looking on the RRL site for measurements but they didn't really have any. If anyone could point me in the right direction or help me out that would be appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads