• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

funny, and nice catch...noticed that after posting...34s are 10.8oz twill, others are 10.5oz. confused about how/why that would happen though? didn't think anything would be diff from 34 to 36 aside from sizing...what's the deal?

in addition to the 34s being 10.8oz v the 36s 10.5, looks like the weave on the 10.8oz is listed as 92x60, while the 10.5 at 127x57. meaningful diff? that to say the 36s are a finer weave?

Last edited:

Sym

Reaction score
Funny how much of a difference 0.3 oz can make. I still need to pick up my 9.23oz (100 x 50) Rigid Officer's Chino and compare them to my 10.8oz (92 x 60) which I've been wearing quite regularly.

Last edited:

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought this vintage Levis Wildfire vest circa 1977, Made in USA, NWT. I thought you guys might appreciate it. Sz M.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Probably gonna have to sell my rigids, which makes me sad because I just had them completely recut :( Going to need to size down.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like my RRL officer's chinos, so I've been researching other selvedge chino options as I could see myself always having a pair or two on hand.

Pretty funny that these J Crew Wallace and Barnes chinos appear to be an exactly copy of the RRLs down to the 60 days without washing recommendation:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pants/wallacebarnes/PRDOVR~03169/03169.jsp

I like J Crew but they can be shameless sometimes

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like Jcrew has become Bizarro RRL. On the other hand they're just following trends. Practically everyone is doing slim selvedge chinos and White Oak jeans these days. Jcrew has really stepped it up a lot in recent seasons and the Womens stuff is pretty good. They still make $98 selvedge chambray workshirts which is a huge plus in my book. Some of their jeans and footwear are $500+. I would never spend that much on Jcrew's high end collabs when there is RRL, I wonder who buys all those expensive pieces and Chimala jeans, given Jcrew's affordable mall brand image.

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like J Crew but they can be shameless sometimes[/quote]

Nice and a good slim fit also but I still prefer the RRL British officers chino I bought from the RRL shop in London. I can not wait to go to the RR shop in NYC in November! My wife is after a pair of good sitting slim jeans so we may also take a look at the J crew stuff but as they are similar prices I am better off just sticking with my very much loved RRL!

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nice and a good slim fit also but I still prefer the RRL British officers chino I bought from the RRL shop in London. I can not wait to go to the RR shop in NYC in November! My wife is after a pair of good sitting slim jeans so we may also take a look at the J crew stuff but as they are similar prices I am better off just sticking with my very much loved RRL!

when in November. I think their big sale is end of oct/beginning of november

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I really like my RRL officer's chinos, so I've been researching other selvedge chino options as I could see myself always having a pair or two on hand.

Pretty funny that these J Crew Wallace and Barnes chinos appear to be an exactly copy of the RRLs down to the 60 days without washing recommendation:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pants/wallacebarnes/PRDOVR~03169/03169.jsp

what a joke. and they even cost more

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of which, could anyone recommend selvedge rigid chinos from another brand? I know Levi's made and crafted offered a couple colors. Wondering where else I can find a pair for sub $175ish. I really like the feel of the 10.5oz and 11+oz LE chinos offered a few years ago but the newer season fabric is underwhelming

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of which, could anyone recommend selvedge rigid chinos from another brand? I know Levi's made and crafted offered a couple colors. Wondering where else I can find a pair for sub $175ish. I really like the feel of the 10.5oz and 11+oz LE chinos offered a few years ago but the newer season fabric is underwhelming

could just order a bunch of pairs and hope to get one from the 10.5oz lot like I did

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics