1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fwedo

fwedo Well-Known Member

Wool shrinks a lot at hight temperatures.

And yes, cotton shrinks also, but stretches far more... and at the end, a lot of my chinos, tees, hoodies and jeans are now far too big.

2. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Bottom ones usually have non-selvedge or fabric is little different compared to regular rrl jeans.

1 person likes this.
  3. ispace

ispace Senior member

Actually the bottom ones are womens jeans, while the top are mens. The womens' waist is usually much bigger than tagged, and I think you'll find that bottom pair are overdyed (black) selvedge. Lots of ebay sellers list womens jeans as mens.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  4. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

Bottom ones are women's. Top ones might be too. The easiest way to tell if they are women's is they have 3 buttons instead of 4. The pockets are also more shallow.
    Ebay is filled with women's jeans trying to be sold off as men's.

5. jeanius

jeanius Member

i own a pair of black RRLs with those black tags on the bottom and they aren't womens. They have 4 buttons and they dont fit like womens at all. I was just wondering because the black pair has a different tag than all my other RRL jeans. I actually think stu00a is right with different fabrics even though they are selvedge

6. captainshields

Ya, I'm speaking to the other details I see, not the tags. I have all kinds of different tags on RRL jeans and pants.

7. jeanius

jeanius Member

8. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  9. captainshields

10. Denim

Denim Senior member

Powell boot looks awesome! Thinking about purchasing as well.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Do you guys think these will stretch / loosen up in the hip and thigh area a bit? They are the white selvedge, they are pretty stiff out of the box and hopefully will stretch. I'm fairly big in the quads / hamstrings from weightlifitng. Dunno if to keep or return.

Pictures under spoiler tag -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  12. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

IME most jeans don't stretch that much in the hip and thigh area. You'll end up getting more room there once the waist stretches and they start to sag lower on your hips, which pretty much always happens. Offhand, I'd guess that those would work out for you.

13. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I love my deadlifts, too, and can tell you from buying two totally different pairs of high end denim that the waist stretched but the legs only shrank a tad after washing. Do not expect the thigh/knee to stretch; unless they're skin tight AND you are squatting or doing physical stuff in them, there's just not the same pressure on those dimensions as there is on the waist.

If you don't want the waist to stretch, wear a tight belt.

I think that fit looks great.

Haven't been a huge fan of the RRL officer chinos that I tried at Unionmade—are some cheaper feeling than others? felt like nylon wind breakers—but you guys keep talking up this brand so I'm keeping my ear to the ground for some good pieces.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Thank you. I've been wearing baggy Sugar Cane 1947s for the better part of the year so anything slightly slim feels super tight. I think the fit is good and I'll try to break em in now. They are actually really rigid, way more than any other white jean I tried.

15. ceron101

ceron101 Member

any idea on when the private sale begins? Also, nothing is elligible for the RLGIVE promo :(. If the private sale is at the end of this month, what peices of the FW are eligible? and what % off do you expect? I really want that indigo shawl collar cardigan...

16. DJ Quaaludes

DJ Quaaludes Senior member

The officer chino's most frequently referenced here are usually the rigid twill selvedge ones, http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13088135

There is a large variation in the fabric's used, as 'officer chino' really can also just describe an RRL fit that they use for many pants. For instance, the fabric on the 'garment-dyed' officer chinos will feel completely different than the 'twill officer's chino' I linked above. Which ones did you try on at Unionmade, do you recall?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. DJ Quaaludes

Personally I think they look OK, and think you're right that it's most likely not being used to the fit. They don't look 'sausage leg' to me by those pics, so I think so long as you are comfortable wearing them that they will break in nicely.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  18. thisatbat

thisatbat Member

I just purchased these RRL straight leg selvedge jeans on Ebay the other day ($57). I can't seem to find much info on them. They look to be decently old. Does anyone know anything about these? I noticed that the back pocket deisign is different from most pairs I see online...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201187322109

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  19. DJ Quaaludes

Can't tell you much about what season they might be from but they do look relatively old as you note. However, that is based on the appearance/wash (not something I've seen in recent collections) and isn't merely on the back pocket stitching, which appears to be their standard 'straight leg' stiching they use for their back pockets.

They tend to use different stitching depending on the fit, and that stitching is consistent with straight-leg pairs I've had as old as 5 years ago and as new as last season.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  20. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

I just purchased these RRL straight leg selvedge jeans on Ebay the other day ($57). I can't seem to find much info on them. They look to be decently old. Does anyone know anything about these? I noticed that the back pocket deisign is different from most pairs I see online...

Those are 3rd generation straight fits. They are slightly trimmer fit, have the extended belt loops, are sewn using dual colored thread and are made from Kaihara Mills denim. The tag logo is uncolored. The next generation lost that belt loop configuration and are made from Kurabo Denim. That tag has a red logo. They are now on the fifth generation jeans using primarily custom woven Cone denim. All are great jeans. Some of the best you can find.