1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those look like they have a really low rise. Feels antithetical to the vintage chino vibe.

1 person likes this.
  3. Viral

Viral Senior member

RRL fans are complaining about pricing??

There will always be sale opportunities.......MSRP is not what most people pay.

4. blankinput

blankinput Active Member

A little too obvious of a rip-off; especially laughable considering the retail on that.

5. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Fashion designers copy everything. One could say the RRL officer chino is a "rip-off" of a real US military chinos. Military garments are far from the most unique design inspiration.

Buzz Rickson

Mister Freedom

Moto

Levi's Vintage

These aren't specifically cited as military chinos but the specs are the same:

Blue in Green

Epaulet

I actually like that these higher end pants are not so niche anymore.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

Isn't the first RRL sale due to hit shortly - sometime early October?

7. Ghost01

Ghost01 Senior member

Isn't that the exact reason the Ralph started the brand, to reproduce clothing from a golden era? And if you see the product manuals they produce each season they clearly state that many items are reproductions of vintage pieces.

The RRL officers chino even print all the authentic details on the pocket linings and its not a rip off of the US chino its a reproduction of the British Officers Chino.

What amazes me about the Wallace and Barnes chino is that they even copy the style and layout of the RRL product manuals, but thats what you get when you employ a lot of old Ralph Designers/graphic designers.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I mean, I love Ralph Lauren, but he didn't invent the practice of repurposing military styles for the fashionable civilian.

1 person likes this.
  9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I think we all know Ralph Lauren is the brand that doesn't invent, it's the brand that successfully recreate old style and still sell every single time.

1 person likes this.
  10. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Ralph Lauren is going downhill.

11. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

Just grabbed these 2 jackets online. I think I got a great deal, but I'm not sure. I need some IDing help.
    The leather pea coat is blue label. Anchor buttons.
    The down jacket is RRL.

Does anyone know what seasons these are from and maybe msrps? I kind of blind bought. Been looking for a pea coat for the winter and this one just caught my attention and it's not your typical peacoat!
    For $200 I got both coats and 2 RL scarves. (the RRL jacket has a stain on the back leather).
    Just hopin that was a good deal. And I can't find any info on either of these jackets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  12. cj610

cj610 Senior member

Well done. Those buttons really bump the shirt up a notch or 2. :thumbs-up:

1 person likes this.
  13. Lord Nick

Lord Nick Senior member

Anyone know the dates of the next private sale?

14. Ghost01

Ghost01 Senior member

Totally agree.

In fact its clear to see how much of menswear is influenced by military clothing and fabrics.

There's the great series of books by William Gibson that ends with the book Zero History where they are trying to track down the secret denim brand Gabriel Hounds and people are stealing prototype military cargos for the construction techniques.

15. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Is Ebay user rl_shop a StyFo member?

He has a couple of RRL pants I'm interested in. Figured if he was on StyFo we might be able to do a combined purchase to reduce shipping and fees.

Apologies if this is obvious, I searched the thread and didn't find a conclusive answer.

16. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

PM Sent

17. blankinput

blankinput Active Member

Anyone have any of the plain or distressed A2 bombers for sale in a size Large? Please PM me.

18. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Thanks man! I do a lot of minor customizations like that to my clothes.

19. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

That is a bad-ass jacket. I'm not sure I could pull it off. It reminds me of a jacket worn by a character in the movie "M" who was kind of a metaphor for fascism. [​IMG]

20. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

Haha, I'm not sure if I can pull it off either yet!
    It's driving me nuts that I can't find out anything about it. Not what season, the name of it, what it retailed for, others for sale...nothin!
    But I hope I can rock it. Not sure if it will even get cold enough where I live haha. We'll see.