1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks man. saved me a trip thank you

2. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

Stopped by Broadway store today...Loaded with many of the newer items including the bib henley I posted from the Japan site. Apparently only 16 were made for the U.S with 4 going to the Broadway store. They said people immediately came looking for it & sold out same day. The fireman's coat in the Kendo cotton was limited to 50 worldwide & that sold out immediately as well. I got to see it in person including the bib henley & both are amazing. I pretty much had the chance to see just about everything...ended up grabbing this along with a few things from the polo store close by. The sale section was good as well with everything 40% off with 50% on top. Sales reps were pretty cool as well..they seemed amazed at my knowledge of item names & that I knew what was on the Japan site lol.

& [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  3. Lord Nick

Lord Nick Senior member

Correct, I mostly have their moto inspired t shirts though, kinda difficult to get most of their other stuff in the USA, but I'm going to tokyo for a couple weeks in December so I've already got a shopping fund set aside and will definitely visit Desolation Row ( the freewheelers store).

4. stickshift

stickshift Senior member

The fireman's coat is beautiful for sure. Was it pre-distressed, or does it come unwashed? Looks like the limited edition reading coat is selling out quickly as well.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  5. spork141

spork141 Active Member

Anyone know where a good fellow like me should start looking for a indigo clyde trouser in 32 waist. Only place ive seen one is Japan import at this point. EBay is empty and the nyc stores are sold out in the size. Anyone out there have suggestions?

6. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

Did you happen to notice if they had anymore of the white officer chino shorts?

7. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

I remember seeing white pants on the big table in the back to the right...it could have been shorts but i was under some sort of spell where i was keying on certain items

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  8. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

snagged these on the sale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

Were the sneakers on sale? Or just happen to be in that photo

10. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

They were just in the photo with the bag, I didn't look at the shoes.

11. jp2k1

jp2k1 Senior member

I dont normally wear camo, but the color and material on the camo pullover is pretty amazing in person.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. Sonderist

Sonderist Senior member

Does anyone know of a site where I could get some comprehensive measurements of the Officer Chino? I'm eyeing some but I'm worried they might run slimmer in the thigh than I need (usually between 12.25-12.5 to be safe).

13. alex99

alex99 Senior member

14. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Looks like they're low in stock right now, but Epaulet may restock these at some point: http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/bottoms/products/epla-wilshire-jean-white-kuroki-denim

There's also an eggshell version that's available in a wider size range: http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...la-wilshire-jean-14-oz-eggshell-kaihara-denim

I also have some Todd Snyder jeans that I like, but they're out of stock on the Todd Snyder web site and I don't know where else they're stocked. They're maybe a little less white and a little more eggshell, and they run a good two sizes large if you come across a pair. I wear a 29 in the rigid officer chinos and clyde trousers, and I wear a 28 in these.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    2 people like this.
  15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

your legs are so not fat like mine are. the blackest black cannot hide mine thighs

edit - today i had 4 cronuts

16. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Ok, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this - what historical archives? I feel like I've heard this term before in reference to RRL, and I'm a little hazy on why/how it's being used. With LVC, I get it; Levi's has spent over a hundred years making clothing, and I'm sure they have plenty of archives of their own stuff to draw from. With RRL i'm less clear. It's an homage to vintage workwear and westernwear, but is it drawing from anything specific? Or do they just source some denim/chino/chambray/whatever fabric, send it to a factory in China to have them hit it with the sandblaster, rub some dirt into it, and then call it a day?

I'm not arguing that RRL shouldn't be revered in its own way; the few pieces I have from them I really, really like - as much as if not more so than the couple of LVC pieces I have - and I'll probably continue to pick up occasional pieces from them in the future. I'm just confused by the type of reverence they seem to inspire. I see them as a fashion brand that references history but doesn't have any actual connection to it, whereas they seem to be treated like they tap directly into a rich vein of America's past.

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll try those Epaulet, they look nice.

18. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

according to rumor and employee leaks, RL has one of the largest historical archives of old clothing anywhere....his people are constantly acquiring old pieces or photos of old pieces, old catalogs, rights to reproduce old designs, etc

maybe some RL employees who have heard about the Holy Grail can add to the mystique

I have to say, though, that after 21 years of RRL, he's probably covered most theme's already and now it comes down to repeating or tweaking designs and using different colors (brown Wabash, black Wabash, olive Calico, red Calico, jeans in every color, etc). How many blue Calico shirts do I need? or chambray

if I were RRL, I would bring back some of the best designs of the past and re-offer them ala what they are doing with www.RLvintage.com and cut back on some of the very costumey stuff and add more staples (tobacco brown suede western vest anybody?) and leave the costumey stuff for the Ltd Edition pieces.

The cold hard fact that sale prices are so reduced for some many pieces tells me they are missing the mark more often than in the past in the balancing act between reproduction pieces that can be worn in modern times and those that can't. Of course, pricing has a lot to do with that

1 person likes this.
  19. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Got it. So they're essentially doing the same thing LVC is doing, but they're doing it with any old clothing they can get their hands on (and want to reproduce or use as a basis point for a design, obviously) rather than just using their own clothing.

20. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

yes, so RRL has a lot more to fall back on

I remember seeing an article about his archive and how extensive it is, if I can find it, I'll share it