1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

I have never heard that, but reading over Al's yelp reviews is disconcerting. Do you have proof or article I can read? Or is it privileged information from your friends in Bozeman?

Quote: Ok I'll bite. What EXACTLY is "sub-par" about the quality of the denim/construction?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

We've never worried about staying purely on topic in Styleforum. In terms of activity, database size, and traffic, the most successful menswear forum in the English speaking world, and we attrribute it in large part to this. If some branch talk really takes on its own life, we just branch it off into another thread. In some cases, like this Streetwear&Denim subforum, we actually branched off an entirely new subforum.

This is a community, and we, the owners and managers, its caretakers and to some extent, its leaders, not so much in the actual discussions, but in the policies, forum taxonomy, and technological features that foster what we see as the strengths of a forum.

Forums are vastly different from a purely informational resource like Quora, and the dynamics that make a forum successful and useful are very different. In my view, and this comes from years and years of doing communications research in an academic setting, the best knowledge and best ideas come about when people are given a subject, and then allowed to talk about whatever they want, with minimal moderation. Think of it as a brainstorming session, rather than a seminar. The flat structure of a forum is ideal for this, and we like to play to our strengths, working behind the scenes to make the knowledge made available also accesssible to new user and more casual users. If you are interested in helping to make the knowledge more accessible, we are always welcoming volunteers to our little group, and we are starting an initiative exactly to "bubble up" information so that it is easier to find. It's sorta like taking a long conversation, and boiling down to an interview that someone can read in a reasonable sitting.

Hope that clarifies things.

Cheers,

Fok.

2 people like this.
  3. LA Guy

Al gets flack from Yelp, but Yelp is pretty useless for a lot of things. He has done some cool stuff over the years, though sometimes I've found his quality to be lacking compared to other "workshops".

The denim is not bad (I used to wear it a lot, until the slimfit got to be uncomfortably low rise),. but it's just not to the level, in terms of being "interesting", as that used by any number of Japanese repro companies. I like it because the Japanese denim has that black blue color that I like, but the color is not particularly complex, and the denim itself is pedestrian. I always bought the Japanese denim when it was $210, then $260, but I also know a lot of retailers, and usually got it for well under $200. At the current prices for the Cone denim, I prefer something like 3Sixteen, which is just as well made (pretty much the same group of LA factories, with about the same spec levels, make all those made in USA jeans), and for $360, I can get any number of Japanese brands for that or lower, at American retail, many of which are making jeans with cuts that are more "modern" now. Previously, Japanese repro jeans were not well cut for North American and European body shapes, but with more and more making jeans for specialty retailers like www.blueowl.us, SelfEdge, and BlueinGreen, there are now choices. If you want, at that price, and if care, you can also get jeans with all sorts of bells and whistles that I personally don't care about, like selvedge at the fly.

4. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Well-Known Member

Wasn't meant for you to bite but IMO, subpar bull denim for $200+ is:

1) one wash and faded detail washes out
    2) heavier denim that is rough to the touch with thinner, sometimes uneven stitching holding pieces together that does not relax over time or conform to body (research Iron Heart denim as again, IMO, this resembles a cheaper iteration of)
    3) it shrinks but it supposedly sanforized (yes I've washed/soaked in hot/cold/medium etc...)

Just my opinion for $200+ jeans, I (me) will not get a few years wear out of them, good fades or distressing that accompanies good denim, compared to some other RRL denim that again, IMO, is the best bang for the buck on the market (not cone per-se but some of the heavier cone is nice). I think more khaki jeans when I think of bull denim...oh and RRL website has duped me numerous times with the erroneous descriptions yet not once have I seen them brag about Bull denim, made in China (not hating on things made in China either)

Edit: as LA guy said, in our opinions, there is more interesting denim out there.....but people, RRL fans, may not know that unless we stray off topic from RRL in small iterations.

5. LA Guy

I'm not a huge fan of bespoke. I do MTO stuff if there are specific details I'd like to tweak, and I do MTM if someone doesn't carry my size, but I am not a great designer, and part of the fun of shopping is discovering something awesome that you would never have thought of before, of that you would have overlooked if you hadn't seen it styled properly.

RRL, J.Crew, a lot the designers go to the same places to buy "inspiration" pieces, so it's hardly surprising that they come up with similar designs. if you go to Bobby of Boston, in the South End, you'll see what I mean. A lot of those guys go there to buy vintage, and then remake it, tweaking for modern bodies and their own brand's sensibilities.

I don't see the point is dropping a brand completely, unless your tastes have evolved that much. Even brands evolve, and pretty constantly. RRL hasn't so much, since the collections have different inspirations. but a brand like Engineered Garments has changed a lot, from esesntially a workwear and ild hunting gear repro brand, to something a little darker, and at the same time a little more dandified. Nothing wrong with changing that way, as long as you keep your heart.

6. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

Well said Fok. Its very important to keep the flow of discussion going and not to censor members thoughts (as long as they are not offensive). Never know where some information picked up on these boards will lead members. I'm so glad you chimed in on this.

7. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Well-Known Member

LA GUY - selvedge fly doesn't matter until the jeans are trashed and you start to feel the frayed innners rub, not that the selvedge weave cannot come apart in the wearing process but like you stated, it's optional but in my experience does serve a purpose in the long run.

8. LA Guy

The crotch in my jeans blow out well before that happens. Plus, I don't usually go commando in raw denim... Sounds slightly painful, selvedge fly or not.

1 person likes this.
  9. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Well-Known Member

Ha, I reinforce the crotch when it starts to go and if I'm running commando (big if), the raw is not very raw anymore...otherwise the denim ain't gonna be the only thing that's raw!

10. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

I think the point w. Al is that Norcal can go to him and get exactly what he wants, how he wants it. That's fantastic.

With jeans, as this market matures, there's going to be a flow of change. Good or bad. That's the nature of our world today. Its much more accelerated but inevitable. What's great is that we have so many more choices now and sites like SF are an important tool for men world over who are trying to sort it all out for themselves.

11. RRL CLOTHING

I agree with most of what you say, but I wouldn't write off RRL denim as simply pedestrian. I agree when it was $210 it was a better deal a few years back, but with inflation and intricacies of running a billion dollar company that offers hassle free unlimited returns, will have additional expenses that a niche brand like N&F, Flat Head or PBJ don't have to deal with and I don't mind paying a premium, even if it sometimes a huge premium. Plus, I don't think RL wants their RRL jeans cannibalizing sales from the PRL/D&S China selvedge jeans that are $185. Just like with luxury cars, there will be a 20% yuppie tax.

Personally I don't really go for the Repro brands anymore compared to a few years ago. I am looking for more subtle jeans these days without irregular texture and highly streaky fades that repro brands like to emphasize. In fact I dislike most denim with a slubby and looser weave.

Nobody can really blame someone for buying a Subaru instead of a Lexus if they are well informed and don't need any embellishments.

Quote: All sanforized denim shrinks 2-5%.

12. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

The Yelp reviews for Al's are a bit of a running joke for those of us locally who know *how* to use him. Like any tailor, some have skills in one area and might not be so good in others. I use him for workwear, jackets, vests, and accessories. If you are detailed oriented with him and can provide pictures of what you want, he will bend over backwards to get it right and his prices for bespoke are very, very reasonable, esp if you provide the fabric.

re: Levi's LVC and boots for RRL - Al is one of the best boot makers in the country (how he got his start) - as good as that Julian guy who RRL used for several years. He's got a Goodyear welting machine in the back room and the construction on his work boots is INSANELY bombproof. Here's a picture of the boots he made for the Levi's collaboration.

btw, Al's Attire is not in the Mission as RRL_Clothing said, it's in North Beach on Grant Street (one of the coolest street's in SF) across the street from Cafe Trieste where Francis Ford Coppola wrote part of the movie The Godfather (and where FFC still shows up on occasion) and down the street from ABFits, which regularly hosts events with many of the best Japanese and American workwear brands (DenimBruin etc).

Tim Burton actually rented Al's Attire's storefront for a weekend when they shot a recent movie in town and Helena Bonham Carter and Tim both had Al make them clothing while they were here

He's a tailor that gets workwear which is a rare find these days outside the realm of workwear brands who don't allow much customization (although the JackKnife guys in SF are great, too)

1 person likes this.
  13. RRL CLOTHING

Got my Olive Aviator vest in a little while back.. and that Type2 I was searching for that sold out online.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. 00bam

00bam Senior member

That rrl leather patch tho...idk to me rrl just makes the most sense its authentic

15. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

RRL new Hong Kong store

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  16. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

saved for later, thanks!
    there's also this one, hasnt been updated in a while but some goodies.
    http://www.flickriver.com/groups/1155667@N24/pool/interesting/

17. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

18. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Oh thats so true when going commando. last time my scrotum got caught in between the button fly when i sat down. I also stopped wearing zip fly jeans because when you're in a rush after going to the toilet, and you zip up carelessly, then ooohhhhh..... Oh, i can't bear to talk about it anymore.....

19. LA Guy

That is way too much information for a Sunday evening. Friday, after a few drinks, maybe.

20. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

Bobbys is an amazing place to walk into. IIts got the aesthetic of entering an RRL store but everything isnt reproductions of vintage clothing. When i was living in Lynn, MA the Bobbys warehouse was across the street from my house. It was closed to the public but you can get in on appointment. I know tons of designers source from there.