1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. oceansaway

oceansaway Senior member

Geez, settle down. I don't wear baggy pants. Get over your slim fit obsession. They're not masculine and they don't look that great. Do you think Don Draper would be caught dead walking around in a pair of white, slim-fit jeans?

2. 00bam

00bam Senior member

To me slim fits dont make sense and are not practical they hit the crotch and fall off the butt...straight leg or 501 style whatever are comfortable and are good...I think everyone should give them a try and see that there not baggy

3. randomnoob

randomnoob Senior member

i have a pair of RLBL straight leg jeans and they fit me like slim fits. i completely fill out the thigh. and i have dainty legs. i cant imagine how skinny the models are. a lot of pants i have to return because the ass diameter is the same as the pant's waist. i feel like we have women's clothes problems now

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  4. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

Don Draper is a fictional character. He only exists on a page of a script.

1 person likes this.
  5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

You've been outvoted on this one. Those white denim look very good.

You should wear denim that match your body type. I generally wear "slim straight" types (RRL low straights, APC NS, etc). Dudes that are skinner can pull off slim fit denim. Pretty simple.

6. oceansaway

oceansaway Senior member

Thanks for letting me know. I was invoking the character as a masculine reference, in case you didn't get it.

7. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

And I'm pointing out that an imaginary character would look good in anything. even a dress...

If you used Jon Hamm as your reference it would be different.

Enough said. Moving on...

8. SpiKedPSU

SpiKedPSU Member

not to continue this asinine discussion but i get where youre trying to use don draper as an example "masculinity" but number one "hes" from the 50s, and whats "masculine" has changed, and you really cant just lump "slim fit jeans" into a category .. certain brands cut their slim fits in a way where the fit is still slim but the fit and cut is still very masculine .. i also dont like when skinny/slim jeans look too feminine or whatever the word is, on guys,but again thats from poor fit or design or the person just doesnt know how to find a good pair of slim fitting jeans .. anyway, i was thinkin of gettin the hazlewood parka, any tips on how RRL outerwear runs? im torn between getting an XS or a S ... it looks pretty slim so im thinking small ..

9. Brattman

Brattman Senior member

Anyone have experience with the Denim Shaw Collar Workshirt? I'm wondering about sizing. I'm 5'10"-11", 160 lbs, slim with a 39" chest - do you think medium would be best, or would small fit better. I'm more inclined for it to fit fitted, but not so tight that it's pulling at all.

10. randomnoob

randomnoob Senior member

i dont know if the denim shirt will be sized differently from the cotton ones, but i just returned mediums for smalls and i am 5'8" 155lb 38" chest. The smalls are fitted on me. I believe at 39" chest you will be pulling on the buttons on a small, and at 5'10-11" the sleeves may be slightly short.

11. Brattman

Brattman Senior member

^Thanks! I was afraid of that, but suspect you're probably right. I see the medium is sold out on the RL site. Does anyone else know of any other shops carrying the denim shawl collar work shirt in medium?

12. randomnoob

randomnoob Senior member

if you cant find a medium, just buy the small and see how it is. then, if you want a medium, maybe one will come back in stock from being returned. i actually tried to do this recently but my timing was off. bought shorts in a 28 (all that was left) on sale. a few weeks later a 32 comes back in stock. Now you can see how many are left in inventory but before that feature came online, it sold out. it was probably just 1 pair. i couldnt ship and process the exchange fast enough.

13. randomnoob

randomnoob Senior member

i just had my g/f measure me and got 39" chest. i was told 38" a few weeks ago at a Jos A Bank. i have wide lats so it really depends on where the measurement is done. so maybe you will be ok with the small, but i think the sleeves are going to be short.

14. Wildling

Wildling Well-Known Member

I'm with ya dude. I don't understand the tight fitting denim jeans and or shirts. I know that is what's "in" now, but it looks ridiculous. It's not only uncomfortable for me to try and wear but you can tell visually it looks uncomfortable looking at other people wearing tight fitting clothes. Not to mention it completely emasculates the man wearing it.

Guess I'm stuck in the 90's too.

1 person likes this.
  15. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Senior member

But there's tight and then there's slim fitting.

Slim fit:
    [​IMG]
    You see how the pants closely follow his legs but it does not look constricting in any way

Tight fit:
    [​IMG]

Mom jeans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think you guys are just lumping all of it together, probably because you had an experience where you tried on slim fitting jeans for the first time, they were a little too tight on you, immediately dismissed these jeans as being way too tight and feminine, and never tried since. Well you probably had the wrong size on, or the wrong fit from a designer that probably doesn't work for your body style. Unless you have an athlete's body or you're stick thin, finding slim fitting jeans may be a tad more difficult, but worth trying on several pairs to try to get a fit that is both slimming AND comfortable.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  16. randomnoob

randomnoob Senior member

usually i have to get straight fit in designer jeans to get a slim fit. and i think i have skinny legs. i dont know how thin these models must be

you're probably less 90s than you think
    [​IMG]

17. oceansaway

oceansaway Senior member

Nobody's arguing for a return to Seinfeld jeans. I prefer a nice trim, straight leg cut, whether in jeans or trousers. Ask most women what they'd like to see a man wearing, and you're unlikely to hear "slim fit jeans." Now, if the jeans are not too slim or too low rise, or you have the body type to carry it off, then more power to you, I guess.

18. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Of course this largely depends on your location and what age group you ask. In urban areas, I think trim fitting clothes are definitely preferred over "mom jeans". Also the younger crowd (mid 30s and younger) will definitely prefer a trimmer fit. If you are asking women from podunk nowhere, or asking women in their mid thirties or older, you might hear that they prefer roomier pants. Broaden your horizons oceansaway. Go to a store and try on some trimmer fitting pants. You'd be surprised how many people compliment you. Unless your morbidly obese.

19. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

Joe Manganiello and Ryan Gosling wears slim fits almost exclusively and I'm pretty sure all women would choose them over whatever oceansway looks like wearing his walmart jeans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here is Mark Whalberg being completely out of touch with reality.

[​IMG]

Bottom line is unless you are completely clueless about fashion or just simply fat (inb4 I lift bro I have huge muscles/thunder thighs/need room for my giant package) there is no reason not to wear slim fits. RRL slim fits aren't even that slim, go see the cuts being offered by Swedish brands.

20. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

So...why has this thread turned into a whole bunch of dudes comparing what they think looks better on other dudes?