• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Official Rick Owens Thread***

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yes the heavy calf is pretty good to my recollection

Transcendental

Reaction score

Sadly, RO in general has declined not only in quality and bang for buck, but even in labor costs. A few years ago they would send the leather and patterns to moldova to construct so you had pretty decent work on Made in Moldova jackets, but apparently now everything is being sourced in Moldova, Whereas the Italy jackets now have leather sourced in Italy and shipped to Moldova for manufacturing and then shipped back to simply add the cotton lining and tags. 
T-shirts are now using much lower quality and priced bamboo viscose to replace the wood viscose tee's. I guess this is just what happens when the demand is too high and RO is all over the mainstream. A year ago you could only find Drkshdw at barneys, maxfield, traffic and maybe a few niche shops in malibu or venice, but now it's being sold at the beverly center and numerous start up shops in downtown and on fairfax. 

Sorry for the rant, but it just hurts to see a brand I deeply respect and admire slowly sliding its way down into the racks of loehmanns. 

U srs about the bang for buck **** you just said? lmao
I think after a certain point, pricing efficiencies don't matter much

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
trying to decide between the below jeans

DRKSHDW " DETROIT " JEANS - BLACK

color best can be seen:

VS...

DRKSHDW " DETROIT " OVERTINT JEANS - BLACK

i'd like one of these to work with my ma+

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^yes the heavy calf is pretty good to my recollection

I have 2 stooges and both are good, fw13 is thin and drapy, fw14 is heavy and warm. The heavy calf this season is great.

I was a bit shaken by ExAngel's post last night, so I got my jacket out the closet, put it on, and looked at myself in the mirror.

"Nope, this thing is still ******* awesome."

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Screw the Mollino, the awesome full grain stooges is still available at 50% off in a 46. Someone cop before I get tempted to!!!

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got in a "made in Italy" stooges from FW14

It has the exact same leather type as the Moldova one, the LCW leather. The Made in Italy jacket's main difference is that they added a few panels of cashmere to the lining. It's not entirely lined, and it feels pretty average as far as cashmere goes. The leather designation is "LCWK"

The cut is practically identical, except the made in italy one is significantly tighter around the upper arms and elbows.

I'm a little disappointed. For a jacket that costs over a thousand dollars more than the other, they could have done more than slapped a few panels of cashmere in there. I was just stunned. There's not even enough cashmere to have a significant difference in warmth. It's the lower and mid back primarily, and a small spot right in front of the hsoulders.

I would have toughed it out and broke in the cashmere one just for the **** of it, but honestly I just like the imperfections on the hide of my first one more. It's got some nice scarring on the back. Oh well. Goodbye cashmere panelled stooges.

I have a feeling those cashmere coat/leather jacket hybrids are a disappointment as well. I highly doubt they filled the entire jacket up.
musicboohoo[1].gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So I got in a "made in Italy" stooges from FW14

It has the exact same leather type as the Moldova one, the LCW leather. The Made in Italy jacket's main difference is that they added a few panels of cashmere to the lining. It's not entirely lined, and it feels pretty average as far as cashmere goes. The leather designation is "LCWK" 

The cut is practically identical, except the made in italy one is significantly tighter around the upper arms and elbows.

I'm a little disappointed. For a jacket that costs over a thousand dollars more than the other, they could have done more than slapped a few panels of cashmere in there. I was just stunned. There's not even enough cashmere to have a significant difference in warmth. It's the lower and mid back primarily, and a small spot right in front of the hsoulders.

I would have toughed it out and broke in the cashmere one just for the **** of it, but honestly I just like the imperfections on the hide of my first one more. It's got some nice scarring on the back. Oh well. Goodbye cashmere panelled stooges.

I have a feeling those cashmere coat/leather jacket hybrids are a disappointment as well. I highly doubt they filled the entire jacket up. 
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

So do you still have the heavy calf version?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics