1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

***The Official Rick Owens Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sinnedk, Jul 12, 2014.

1. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

^this

My arms are pretty normal length (I think?) and stooges generally look ridiculous on me. Tho I’ve seen people with short arms pull it off (eg nicelynice).

2. Seoul Soul

Seoul Soul Well-Known Member

Welp, and there I thought that 'Stooges' are easy to pull off and style, but the comically long arms may indeed be a deal breaker. Let's see when it arrives tomorrow morning.

3. Callusing

Callusing Distinguished Member

On at least one of his Stooges, Nicely got the sleeves shortened. Which might explain it.

It's become a big turnoff for me, particularly for his more low-key styles (e.g., Stooges, Worker). The Stooges could be a pretty low-key jacket in most leathers, but the long sleeves push it hard into "this is a FASHION jacket" territory. And it's especially brutal if you have to size up because of how slim the sleeves and shoulders are running these days.

I need a 46 for the sleeves to fit, a 48 for the body to fit, and a 50 for the sleeves and shoulders to fit. Which means in almost any case a Stooges is going to look ridiculous on me, as much as I wish that wasn't the case.

It's less of a problem in his more aggressive styles, since nobody is going to mistake a mollino or even an intarsia for anything low-key, especially up close.

4. steveoffice

But to be fair, don’t get a rick to begin with if you want low-key amirite?

5. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

I don’t own, but have tried the Stooges on a couple of times. I had to size up, which exacerbated the sleeve issue. I understand the look is for the sleeves to be long, but they reached my fingertips or beyond.

Shortening sleeves on many RO jackets is not practical or easily done since the sleeves can have zippers or other design details that would be compromised. Shortening from the shoulder can be problematic if the upper arms are slim to begin with.

6. Callusing

Callusing Distinguished Member

You're right, the majority of his stuff is pretty "loud" from a design perspective, but not all of it.

Back when I had a different build (less muscle, true Rick 48), I loved his suede / blistered jackets because they were legitimately the easiest-to-wear and most versatile leathers I owned. The Stooges in particular can work really well as a stripped-down take on the double rider shape.

You see it more on the womens' side, of course...I feel like half the women in Manhattan Beach own one of his bikers, and they look great in, with and on pretty much anything and anybody.

Used to be easier to make that argument when prices were a little less ridiculous. Back in 2016 or so I could easily recommend a suede/blistered Stooges for $600-$700 as a starter leather for a lot of folks.

@bry2000 For the exact reasons you outlined, Nicely had his shortened from the shoulder. Which I expect was quite expensive and required a decent tailor, if for no other reason than the underarm gussets.

7. Seoul Soul

That's exactly why I bought it, the Stooges seemed like a cool, "normal" biker-style leather jacket to me.

The sleeves push it into high fashion territory I didn't want to dab into. Let's see how bad they are tomorrow ...

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Stylish Dinosaur

I'm 6'2 with a 6'11 wingspan I was born for ro sleeves

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

10. steveoffice

yeah i had to keep on pulling the sleeves up for stooges which was annoying. the ribbed cuffs help a lot

11. Seoul Soul

My Rick Owens 'Stooges' arrived and. Lets make it short: I didn't like the fit at all. The sleeves were indeed a bit too long, but that was the least of my concerns: the fit as a whole is just too form-fitting, too athletic. It fits more like a gym suit than like anything else -- one can clearly see the way your ribcage, stomach and shoulders are formed. Only flattering if you have a body to be proud of imo.

So I'm sending it back.

On a positive note, the leather and overall construction quality was pretty insane and hard to find even amongst 'luxury' labels, so I get what the hype is about from this standpoint. The jacket had a pleasant moderate sheen and beautiful slight wrinkling. Also positively surprised by the complete lack of branding. I'm sure someone else will have lots of fun with this jacket.

Rick1.JPG

Rick2.JPG

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

@Seoul Soul wondering what is binding exactly? Is that like a glue job (cementing) on cheap shoes?

Is that a calf Stooges?

Regarding The fit, A classic rider is definitely more forgiving but it is also a boxher. The stooges fits slim and has darts on the back panel. I completely understand not everybody has build for it, I certainly do not, I’m just pretty slim and Rick works for my body shape.

My only advice there is that you can maybe size up for a more comfortable fit but if that means everything else looks off then definitely just skip.

As always it’s good that there’s an easy return policy.

13. magnetoes

magnetoes New Member

Does anyone know the exact model for the following two leather jackets worn here? Trying to buy one of these two if I can find them online. Thanks!

rts7z2l_cropped.jpeg rtx1jmlj.jpg

14. steveoffice

they are sternberg no hood

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

@magnetoes @steveoffice is correct but in case you want something similar the intarsia looks closest but has paneling