1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Retailer Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by URALLMORONS, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Gagno905

Gagno905 Senior member

Emailed Leo at Blackbird asking if some items were due to be on sale in the future. I was expecting a 'wait and see!'

Instead I got a reply saying that I could get them for 20% right now.

Then, before I replied, I got another email saying he spoke to Nicole and could get me 30% off and free shipping right now. Incredible.

2. Local_Disk

Local_Disk Senior member

Looks like Blackbird has been treating everyone well here, I however am a bit disappointed. After buying something from them on sale, I heard about this promotion where they match sale items from other stores, so I promptly gave them an email asking them if they can match the price of the item I purched with a competitor's price. Well, apparently they dont offer that promotion retroactively, even after I offered to prove to them the price of the competitor's sale at the time of my purchase. It's only been about 4 days since I bought the item; I didn't even recieve it yet, but compensating me was "out of their limitations". Just a head's up for you people.

3. astris

astris Senior member

Context: Dudes are super polite and helpful in store. Good with email support too. Good prices during flash sales.

Blue Owl: Jay is very helpful, detailed responses. Sales all the time.

Blake: Unbeatable sales. Top notch customer service. Just wish they had an online shop. Though, if they did, sale stuff would go too quick!

Blackbird: Solid customer service. Placed an order, decided to cancel one of the items, received the partial refund immediately.

Odin: Decent experience, would give them another chance.

South Willard: Not bad, not great. Would buy from them again.

4. jet

jet Senior member

This may come as no surprise to most of you but my favorite shop is south willard. I've known Ryan for almost 5 years now and he's the nicest guy I've ever met in the business. The first handful of times I ever went into his shop I didn't buy anything but we ended up talking for probably an hour each time. If you catch him when he's not busy he'll do the same with you. The guy knows his stuff and buys things he likes and listens. He's always helped me out and I've bought more stuff at full pop at his store than anywhere else. Apparently I'm not the only one based on what's left come sale time since he's got quite the following and is hugely popular in europe and japan.

His shop has been in countless japanese mags and when he goes to buy in paris people are clawing at him to carry their brands. He brought common projects to the west coast in 2005, put quoddy and crescent down works on the map, was one of the very first band of outsiders retailers as well as stephan schneider. I don't buy as much these days anymore but whenever I'm in that area he's always a great guy to chat with about food, art or whatever. He's also got an incredible book selection. I remember in 2006 he carried willhelm, branquinho, raf, bless and dope womenswear, it was unreal. If you're ever in LA you should stop by and say hello.

5. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

Looks like Blackbird has been treating everyone well here, I however am a bit disappointed. After buying something from them on sale, I heard about this promotion where they match sale items from other stores, so I promptly gave them an email asking them if they can match the price of the item I purched with a competitor's price. Well, apparently they dont offer that promotion retroactively, even after I offered to prove to them the price of the competitor's sale at the time of my purchase. It's only been about 4 days since I bought the item; I didn't even recieve it yet, but compensating me was "out of their limitations". Just a head's up for you people.
    lol, then you should have returned it and bought at the competitor. its a store policy ... you cant ding them for that. but thanks for the "heads up," lol.

6. Local_Disk

Local_Disk Senior member

lol, then you should have returned it and bought at the competitor. its a store policy ... you cant ding them for that.

but thanks for the "heads up," lol.

Cant return sale items, and there was no aforementioned "policy" anywhere on the internet, which is why I gave the "heads up", and why I am complaining in the first place.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This may come as no surprise to most of you but my favorite shop is south willard. I've known Ryan for almost 5 years now and he's the nicest guy I've ever met in the business. The first handful of times I ever went into his shop I didn't buy anything but we ended up talking for probably an hour each time. If you catch him when he's not busy he'll do the same with you. The guy knows his stuff and buys things he likes and listens. He's always helped me out and I've bought more stuff at full pop at his store than anywhere else. Apparently I'm not the only one based on what's left come sale time since he's got quite the following and is hugely popular in europe and japan.

His shop has been in countless japanese mags and when he goes to buy in paris people are clawing at him to carry their brands. He brought common projects to the west coast in 2005, put quoddy and crescent down works on the map, was one of the very first band of outsiders retailers as well as stephan schneider. I don't buy as much these days anymore but whenever I'm in that area he's always a great guy to chat with about food, art or whatever. He's also got an incredible book selection. I remember in 2006 he carried willhelm, branquinho, raf, bless and dope womenswear, it was unreal. If you're ever in LA you should stop by and say hello.

I think that I'm going to change jet's signature to "articulate".

Back in the day, Ron Herman and Maxfield's were the LA gold standards, and they really had very different feels. Maxfield has always been about over the top luxury, (I think that James Perse's line was a direct reaction to Tommy Perse's LA rockstar persona,) and they have crazy things. I remember that one year, they had a remarkably collection of vintage Louis Vuitton luggage. Ron Herman was much more street level. Before it split off to become Hollywood Trading Company, the downstairs was Ron Herman vintage, "streetwear" LA style - a lot of Masons shirts, Griffin, stuff like that, and The Jean Bar - probably one of the first around - it was a novel concept back then. They carried things like Levis Premium, Paper Denim Cloth, and things like that, when they were fresh, and the whole premium denim thing was a new development. Above it was the designer stuff, and it was always styled in a very LA way - sort of scruffy and not put together quite right, but looked amazing. I used to drool over Hlam, Helmut Lang, Margiela, there. And the cool thing was that a lot of the employees were fledgling designers, and were sometimes allowed to put their stuff out on the floor, so you could find some amazing stuff. Most of it was out of my reach, but the September 50% off sales were crazy, and I'd buy then.

Man, I miss the LA retail scene. So much fresher than NYC, where everything fits neatly into a niche.

I'd say that my favorite stores these days are Sydneys, which is sort of like Atelier, but a lot more tailored and less about a head to toe "look" than about really great pieces. Sydney himself is pretty great too.

8. Gagno905

Gagno905 Senior member

Just got hit with an $88 COD on a $200 order from Stuart and Wright. And $47 shipping to Canada. Basically payed as much for shipping as the items - nice.

9. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

Is Detour still around?

10. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

had a defective apolis global iphone case that i ordered from context. for some reason i couldnt get a hold of apolis and context took care of me right away. great customer service ... ordered from them several times

11. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

More props for Tres Bien. Couldn't be more pleased with shoes ordered from Sweden and received two business days later.

12. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

Is Detour still around?

website's still around and the inventory seems to be updated recently ... try emailing them

guess they are no longer affiliates or at least not paying for above banner status

13. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Hmmm... I've shopped with Mortar with no issues, but I'll talk to them soon. Very few retailers seem to offer insurance. Some do require a direct signature, which is a pretty needless PITA in Moscow, ID, but is probably a good thing to require in say, LA or Boston. BTW, you guys are going to like our newest affiliate, I think. They are Europe based, and offer Stephan Schneider and Dries van Noten, among other designers, so we are pretty excited.

I really like the sounds of this and will be awaiting who it is. Would they happen to be located in Portugal?

14. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

dunno if mega-retailers count but i just had a very good experience with bergdorf online. i bought a band jacket (just arrived in the mail, like it a lot) for around $700 (org. about $1600) six days ago and today it was marked down to about $400 and the sale page says 'no adjustice for prior sales'. however i saw the "Returns & exchanges" section of the website says they offer a one-time price adjustment for all sale items so i thought why not just ask if it applies in this case too. didn't have much hope but i called and after some very polite exchange and jumping through some hurdles (items no longer available, etc. etc.) the manager kindly approved the adjustment.... guess they wouldn't normally approve it but who knows what will happen if you call.

btw a lot of stuff is 25% now both in store and online

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

I've had some great interactions with Mark at Cloth in Lurgan, N Ireland. They usually have a good stock of Universal Works, and their sales are quite good this time of year. I recently ordered from Nitty Gritty for the first time, and they were very helpful.

16. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

+1 for nitty gritty. fast shipping, great selection and a nice gift too. wish their still had some Inis Meáin in S though

17. jet

jet Senior member

I've had some great interactions with Mark at Cloth in Lurgan, N Ireland. They usually have a good stock of Universal Works, and their sales are quite good this time of year.

I recently ordered from Nitty Gritty for the first time, and they were very helpful.

I had a not so good experience with nitty gritty, the woman was helpful at first but gradually turned into a bitch and went so far as to lie to me that something was sold out in my size the second it went on sale and it was still there a few days later. Would not recommend anyone copping anything from NG, she was stubborn as well. I find I always get the best service from guys, women tend to be pretty awful in this respect.

18. whatever123

ng has always been great with me ... highly recommended. i think jet has bad experiences everywhere [​IMG]

19. jet

jet Senior member

^what did you buy from them?

they don't carry samurai or pbj

20. whatever123

^what did you buy from them?

they don't carry samurai or pbj

lol, i buy other things too.

i got a si knit pullover from them.

what did you buy? it seems odd they would tell you something was out of stock ... after all, it is a retail store [​IMG]