• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Ramen Thread (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find one of these already, which is a real shame.

Share and get recommendations for the best ramen spots in your city.

Also - share cooking tips for homemade ramen. I'd consider myself a semi-pro at making tonkotsu so can answer most questions there.

I'll start with a question: what's the best ramen spot in LA? Making a trip in a few weeks.

20120227-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-pork-fat-26.jpg

arnoldpettibone

Reaction score
For Ramen:
Tsujita Annex
Tsujita
Yamadaya (spicy #2)
Tatsu (terrible service)
Daikokuya (longest tenured in LA)

For Tsukemen:
Tsujita

All located on Sawtelle save for yamadaya which is on Venice

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Hombre! I'll offer my own NYC recs for anyone interested -

Chuko Ramen: two in BK, not traditional but good
Mu Ramen: LIC, best ramen in NYC IMO. Long waits on weekends, somewhat fancy.
Ramen Ya: W 4th street in the WV, small and cash only, no frills
Ramen Zamurai: Williamsburg, used to be Ramen Yebisu, good variety of different styles

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is the best Ramen you guys have ate? Anywhere in the world,

I think for me the best bowl I had was in Paris at Hakata Choten. (yeah I know you don't think Ramen when you think Paris)

Scramm

Reaction score
I remember going to Mu Ramen with an inadvisably large group of friends a few years ago - we ended up waiting two hours before getting seated. The ramen was really good though, but I could never muster up the fortitude to return after that.

These days I've been going to my local neighborhood joint, Nishida Shoten, a lot. It has some good, cheap, filling ramen. They serve their pork slices as these thick chunks of tender meat, which I really enjoy, and in general I think their broth and noodles have a nice 'homestyle' feeling to it. Also dig TONCHIN, close to Bryant Park. It's a little fancier but I have a good time when I go.

My real ramen love though is back in my home of San Mateo, California. Have real good memories of going to Santa Ramen after school and slurping up their shoyu ramen, back when they were on B Street. That restaurant's moved to this plaza on El Camino Real now, but their old Ave B location now hosts Ramen Dojo, which is also pretty good. But man nothing can beat the nostalgic flavor of that shoyu ramen for me.

arnoldpettibone

Reaction score
a few favorites of mine - Gokkei just outside of Kyoto - chicken based, porridge style broth
20171124_034540853_iOS.jpg

and Kazami in Ginza Tokyo - seafood/sake lees based broth

20171129_025704470_iOS.jpg

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not the best but Rokurinsha in Tokyo station is an old reliable, and they (sometimes) let you buy frozen tsukemen to take away. you can enjoy it at home - and it's still better than any tsukemen that I've had in HK.

Barth deRosa

Reaction score
My homemade ramen recipe is :2 large eggs
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
-4 cups reduced sodium -chicken broth
-4 ounces shiitake mushrooms : Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until mushrooms have softened, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with eggs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics