1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Pipe, Pipe Tobacco, Accessories, and Smoking Thread.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Dec 13, 2011.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I would add that with a corn cob pipe you want a tobacco that smokes rather dry. If it generates a good deal of moisture in burning, as some tobaccos do, it will gum up the corn cob pretty quick. A corn cob can give you a pretty good smoke if you don't mind its rustic image.

2. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Yea I was planning on doing a small order from a smoke shop online. Probably pick up one can of Pipe Tobacco and around 5 cigars. I guess I'll do a little more research.

3. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Maybe quality wasn't the right word, but I'm looking for an english or balkan style blend without the humetants or sweet casings. From my googling Brigham's Balkan Blend is the same as Altadis Balkan 512. Regarding the write up about Italy, very good stuff.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I'm currently enjoying some Pirate Kake from Cornell and Diehl. I bought a half pound of it in 2006 or early 2007 and shortly thereafter I got much more into cigar smoking. Pirate Kake is a very heavy latakia blend, which is not surprising given my tast in cigars leans very heavily towards ligero.

LMK, if anyone wants to try some, I'll ship you some!

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I will pass since I have more tobacco than I know what to do with, though most is sealed up for storage. But someone should take you up on that offer. Pirate Kake is supposed to be a pretty good Latakia blend and is worth a try, especially for people who don't know if they like that kind of tobacco (do I like Latakia mixtures). It is supposed to be Latakia-heavy, even for a Latakia blend, so keep that in mind.

6. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I accidentally started contaminating the Briar thread with my questions, but anyone want to guide me to a newbie guide for pipe smoking?

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Try Pipe Smoking: A 21st Century Guide by my dear old friend Richard Carleton Hacker. I haven't read it, but if Rick wrote it, I'm sure it's very sound.

Rick is also a gun writer of no small renown.

8. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I got the Stanwell Majestic bent billiard Dopey was kind enough to give away. It's beautiful. I've smoked it about 10 times so far and really enjoy it. Being a bent, it's easy to read with, and the stem is just long enough to keep what little smoke rises from the bowl out of my eyes. The bowl is deep, so it can smoke for a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got Dunhill Flake, my first flake tobacco. So far I've been taking think strips off like string cheese, then ripping those in half, then rolling all that into a ball before I stuff it in the bowl. It works well enough. It takes a while to catch a light, but once it does it burns with a lot of intensity. It's very flavorful and doesn't have a very strong nicotine kick. The aftertaste stays in my mouth a long time, but it's not unpleasant; it's a bit sweet and earthy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I've done a lot of pipe smoking in my time, and I have been simultaneously reading most of the time I have been smoking. I never noticed that it was appreciably easier to read with a bent or a straight. However, I don't keep the pipe in my mouth for long periods, as a general matter.

10. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I always keep it in my mouth. I hold it since my teeth are too sensitive to clench it for very long, plus I can direct the smoke in different areas of my mouth to cut down on tongue bite.

11. dopey

Glad to see you have been enjoying the pipe, Reggs.

12. doyleclark

doyleclark Active Member

Give it time. Tongue bite and pipe smoking are sort of like blisters on your finger and playing the guitar. If you smoke more regularly, that bite will go away. Mine lasted about 3 months.

13. doyleclark

doyleclark Active Member

Since this thread has been going almost a year, and I'm pretty new to the forum myself, I'll give some introduction.

I've been smoking a pipe for almost four years now. I started out smoking on Sunday evenings. For me, it was more of a family tradition thing. I had always loved the stories of Sherlock Holmes and knew that one day I would start smoking a pipe. I inherited my grandfather's collection of pipes from the '50s and '60s (including an old Yellow-Bole). I wasn't very satisfied with some of their shapes and styles. I smoke through them all and found what worked for me so I would know what to look for in my own pipe collection. I almost exclusively smoke Peterson pipes and more often than not smoke local blends from the shop around the corner. I enjoy some tins of big name tobacco.

I've got my eye currently on a tin of Peterson's University Flake. I have tried it before and enjoyed it. Has anyone else tried this flake style tobacco? If so, what did you think?

14. doyleclark

doyleclark Active Member

Have you considered a "bit saver"? It may go by another name online or at another local Tobacconist. It's essentially a soft rubber sleeve that goes over the end of the pipe. It makes it easier to hold the pipe with your mouth and keeps bite marks off the bit.

15. dopey

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am a little bummed. I kept meaning to buy some fresh tobacco and enjoy my pipe out on the patio over my break but never got around to it. Now I'm swamped in January and cannot see having the time for a peaceful pipe until February.

17. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Have been smoking through some house blends that I tried and enjoyed. Trying to figure out if I will go back to stuff I really love (squadron Leader, Dunhill's Morning Blend and London Mixture) or if I'll keep branching out. Probably get one new and one favorite, but I just don't have a pipe often enough. Perhaps a pipe and a walk at halftime of the game tonight.

18. dopey

I have been smoking Squadron Leader as my English blend of late. I like it and have thought about stocking up, but there are many English blends that I like (Wildernes, Odyssey, Sword of Avalon and others). I usually have one English and one Virginia going at any given time. Most of my smoking is done walking from my kids' school to the office; office to the gym; or walking home at night. As long as the weather is above freezing, that works fine.

19. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Sad to report that Grant's in SanFo has closed. Tried stopping in on my last trip and it was boarded up. A few online inquiries confirmed the worst.

Not sure if there are other Bay area suggestions - I recall a good one being in San Jose.

I haven't been to Vendetta yet, so can't comment on them, but Humidor is pretty good for a pipe shop and very good as a cigar shop.

20. dopey

I originally posted this in the CE forum in a thread about the situation in Syria, but, obviously, it belongs here:

Since posting it, I did a little mini stock-up on Three Oaks Syrian, Wilderness and HH Syrian Reserve. The first two I know and like. The latter was just an experiment.