1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Pipe, Pipe Tobacco, Accessories, and Smoking Thread.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Dec 13, 2011.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

ill grab a photo later when I get home.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

3. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

This is one type of Czech tool:
    [​IMG]

This is another:
    [​IMG]

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is impossible to come up with a reason why a fancy tamper/pick is functionally better than a simple 3-in1 Czech tool. They all work exactly the same. Nicer ones are just nicer. I like the Sheffield made combo tools, which are like little pocket knives and have two, one in black and one in steel like this:
    [​IMG]. Here is a link.
    I also have three Czech tools and a couple of pipe nails (basically a metal tamper that tapers to a pick and cost about $1). That way I don't have to look to hard to find one. The Sheffield ones are as nice as I care to go, but some people like the fancy Dunhill or Savinelli ones or more crafty artisan made ones.

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

6. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Decided this thread needs some real pics.

At Pio's earlier request, smoking this eve...

[​IMG]

Oh, & Happy New Years Everyone! May this one be better than the last.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I had a few nice smokes this last week.

8. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Just tried some Bell's Three Nuns tobacco with a C.S. Lewis scholar the other night who said that it was Lewis' preferred tobacco.

Dreadful stuff. I suspect my friend knew this because he just sat there attempting to watch me with disinterest out of the corner of his eye as I smoked it; the way someone looks at you when they've given you a beverage laced with something like Worcestershire sauce as a prank.

[​IMG]

9. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Currently liking Dunhill Nightcap and Squadron Leader. Would be remiss if I did not encourage you all to visit here if you ever make Chicago:

http://www.iwanries.com/home.cfm

Looking to try a few others yet, but I don't go through tins very fast.

10. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

What's a CS Lewis scholar exactly, someone who studies his works?

Anyways, new 3 nuns should not be like famed original 3 nuns, perique to kentucky very different.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So bought a big, free hand Nording. Too heavy to hold in the teeth long but damn, does it smoke cool.

12. dopey

I have their latest catalog. It seems like a beautiful shop.

I have been enjoying Esoterica Stonehaven and GLPease Fillmore lately, with a bowl of Escudo or MacBaren Latakia Blend (also a spun, coin cut) thrown in every so often.

On my Christmas Week trip, I took two Dunhill pipes, a Prince and a Zulu, but lately I have been most often alternating an Upshall Prince and Cutty but also a Burak Bent Bulldog and a Talbert Ligne Bretagne Paneled Prince.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Just bought a new Ascorti from the SCP Tinder Box yesterday. This brings my total number of briar pipes up to 27, plus one olive wood pipe (a nice smoker). I also have six meerschaums, which I only smoke infrequently. Pipe smoking is one of life's great pleasures. And if it has any averse health effects--if done in moderation--I've sure never noticed.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

How often and with what do you clean your pipes? I use high proof rum and run a pipe cleaner through the stem after every use. It still seems my new pipes are getting a bit of a disagreeable odor and a tinge of old tobacco taste. I've smoked my Peterson the most, maybe ten'ish times now, and just used a napkin dipped in rum to swab it out.

Suggestions?

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Before pipes grow any cake they tend to get wet, and a wet spit/tobacco juice isn't exactly pleasant. It goes away over time. If you need, get a pipe sweetener and run it through, that can help. More importantly, smoke slowly.

16. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I use a pipe cleaner soaked in a pipe-freshening fluid to clean out the shank after every time i smoked it. While rum may work as well, I have a better place for good rum!

17. dopey

I use a plain pipe cleaner after every use (not soaked in anything). If I can't do that right after smoking, then I will use a cleaner soaked in alcohol later.

18. dopey

So which are your favorite pipes and tobaccos? I think I remember your saying something about cherry aromatics, but I don't recall if you liked or disliked them.

I lean heavily towards the classic English shapes and, more particularly, the straight or barely bent stems. I have a few bent pipes, but the only ones that I smoke regularly are two bent bulldogs - a small Cumberland shell Dunhill and a larger but smaller chambered smooth Burak (and I also have a volcano that I smoke occasionally). My most frequent smokes are Princes and a new Zulu. My tobacco favorites are currently (as noted above) Esoterica Stonehaven, Pease Fillmore and Escudo. I have just about run through my open stock of Stonehaven and Fillmore and rather than crack open another, I bought a tin of Maclelland Blue Mountain (their entry in the Balkan Sobranie 759 contest) to try.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I haven't read the whole thread, but there's a guy from Texas that makes beautiful pipes - do you aficionados know who I'm talking about?

20. rwbenjey

rwbenjey Well-Known Member