• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official PATRIK ERVELL thread ***

mundieTRAINS

Reaction score
What brands do y'all like now to try and fill the void?

I’m lazy and have to wear generic business casual every day to work so I do Costco tailored fit shirts and dockers alpha khakis....

I have enough Ervell to last me a long while for casual wear.

I have not been able to find outerwear that I like as much as the Ervell that I have (except ironically some of the pre-Ervell Vince which is very nice).

I also have never found a heavy denim shirt as nice as my Ervell medium wash.

But for knits I’ve been buying Gant rugger or just kept wearing my SNS herning, jeans I buy han kjobenhavn selvedge, todd Snyder here and there (great linen shirts and leather), and Sunspel pretty much rounds it out.

I tried to do our legacy but I just can’t pull some of it off and some of it isn’t very well made. Same with acne

Sunspel in particular does a great shirt - simple, well made, fabric is incredible etc. though I never really wore Ervell in the summer.

I’ve heard people compare peak Ervell to brands like a kind of guise but I’ve never owned anything from it.

Jonas251

Reaction score
I’m lazy and have to wear generic business casual every day to work so I do Costco tailored fit shirts and dockers alpha khakis....

I have enough Ervell to last me a long while for casual wear.

I have not been able to find outerwear that I like as much as the Ervell that I have (except ironically some of the pre-Ervell Vince which is very nice).

I also have never found a heavy denim shirt as nice as my Ervell medium wash.

But for knits I’ve been buying Gant rugger or just kept wearing my SNS herning, jeans I buy han kjobenhavn selvedge, todd Snyder here and there (great linen shirts and leather), and Sunspel pretty much rounds it out.

I tried to do our legacy but I just can’t pull some of it off and some of it isn’t very well made. Same with acne

Sunspel in particular does a great shirt - simple, well made, fabric is incredible etc. though I never really wore Ervell in the summer.

I’ve heard people compare peak Ervell to brands like a kind of guise but I’ve never owned anything from it.

Yeah I think Akog is a good starting point. Their quality is generally above acne (acne has a kind of youthful/playful streetwear vibe that I didn’t really see in ervell). They use mother of pearl buttons on their shirts and everything (as far as I know) is made in Germany. I have a jacket, shape is a little odd but the waffle knit is reaaaaalllly nice. I think our legacy is kinda similar (both brands evolved out of graphic tees) but more punk inspired while ervell was more military inspired. Ervell kind of had that Scandinavian minimalism thing going too. Don’t know much about our legacy quality, but they make everything from very high end jackets to sweats, so I assume it varies.

Last edited:

John-Galt

Reaction score
Always wanted to give AKOG a try but have moved on to Lemaire and Jil.

I haven't looked at Band of Outsiders in a while but the Sternburg days were always a good substitute for Ervell. It captures that small period of American history that Ervell mastered.

My friends and I have a decent amount of Our Legacy between us. I'd say that focus is certainly on fit and fabric. They like to denote the country of origin for fabrics which is cool. Quality is good but not mind-blowing like the waist lining of Ervell chinos

death shot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried to make legacy work but as it has evolved its become awkward to me. Never had luck with acne but always liked the more minimal pieces. What I've bought hasn't been the greatest quality for the price.

I've been buying the less sleazy Sandro pieces like linen T-shirts and certain button downs. Their jackets are gorgeous and conform to the Ervell aesthetic but slimmer. This season is cleaner and less "1976 New York scumbag" to me than previous seasons. I haven't yet found a replacement for Ervell standard jeans on me, though the vince slim and skinny black jeans are cut nearly identical to my eye and I may give them a try.

Until then I will continue buying secondhand ervell and altering as I do with everything.

I am actually about to send my technical cardigan from 2014 out to a professional garment dyeing service to dye it black. If anybody is interested I can post the results. It's one of my spares. That is how sick I am. I have spares.

Last edited:

Arnold Grape

Reaction score
What brands do y'all like now to try and fill the void?
Uniqlo U; AKOG or OL. Tres Bien has some nice looking things, but I’ve only owned one of their jackets. APC is a fair constant. It seems like fashion is in this weird transitional state right now, which I don’t really get excited about or understand. (Or something.) In lieu of pontificating about all that, I will say that I got that A Kind of Guise Kathmandu Corduroy Chore Coat a few weeks ago and it’s well constructed. Things like that seem more difficult to find now.

mundieTRAINS

Reaction score
Tried to make legacy work but as it has evolved its become awkward to me. Never had luck with acne but always liked the more minimal pieces. What I've bought hasn't been the greatest quality for the price.

I've been buying the less sleazy Sandro pieces like linen T-shirts and certain button downs. Their jackets are gorgeous and conform to the Ervell aesthetic but slimmer. This season is cleaner and less "1976 New York scumbag" to me than previous seasons. I haven't yet found a replacement for Ervell standard jeans on me, though the vince slim and skinny black jeans are cut nearly identical to my eye and I may give them a try.

Until then I will continue buying secondhand ervell and altering as I do with everything.

I am actually about to send my technical cardigan from 2014 out to a professional garment dyeing service to dye it black. If anybody is interested I can post the results. It's one of my spares. That is how sick I am. I have spares.
Definitely 100% interested in that and the results. Where do you send it to?

I have my technical knit for sale (as well as my neoprene) but may change my mind and keep them after being convinced by this forum

death shot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jonas251

Reaction score
Would love to see how that goes as well.

Wanted to put this up there for anyone still curious why ervell went under.

Fw17

6565868C-AD61-465F-A156-97EE9BA68344.jpeg

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His best stuff was with the interesting fabrics, like the reverse prints and the ballistic nylon jackets

mateogonzalez

Reaction score

music vid i made wearing fw17 runway coat, high summer 16 hoodie, vince track pants, postmans

feels appropriate for this thread WIWT

John-Galt

Reaction score
Brand is a serious hit or miss. Some items source imported fabrics and buttons while others are just a run of the mill J Crew items. I can see the parallels but have yet to find brand that matches Ervell in any capacity. The execution just isn't at PE's level.

proustpantalone

Reaction score
Brand is a serious hit or miss. Some items source imported fabrics and buttons while others are just a run of the mill J Crew items. I can see the parallels but have yet to find brand that matches Ervell in any capacity. The execution just isn't at PE's level.
fair play, I don't disagree with any of your points. I also have an Ervell shaped hole in my heart. Wish I bought the club collar oxfords while I still could...

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selling an ocean print and a sailboat print long sleeve shirt, both in large. The ocean print fits very slim.

IMG_20190526_123729.jpg
IMG_20190526_124612.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads