*** The official PATRIK ERVELL thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Feb 12, 2011.

1. 1969

1969 Senior member

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

his collections have always been recycling.

this one looks slightly...older (as in less boyish). I get the feeling that that's because a) the models are a bit bulkier than normal, b) a lot of them could stand to size up 1.

e.g. look 8 could be from any of his past seasons. contrast with look 10 etc. I also think the pieces are styled a bit un-creatively; windbreaker under blazer was genius, everything is styled too classic here.

3. JChance

JChance Senior member

I like Ervell pieces because of the fit and cut, not the creativity. I agree with tz0d that his pieces are staples and should remain through further refinement, not to just follow fashion trend like pretty much all other designers

4. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

i'm not talking about the design, i'm talking about the way the pieces were put together for the runway show. Just kinda unimaginative.

5. London

London Senior member

This is beautiful

/[​IMG]

6. jwjp

jwjp Senior member

some great fabrics by the looks of things

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Ervell back up on Gilt

8. 1969

1969 Senior member

Under what category I don't see it?

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

its nothing new. its all the leftover stuff that didnt sell mostly large sizes

emerging designers

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

Yes, I'm well aware that Ervell is all about recycling pieces seasons after seasons, incremental and subtle changes, iconic pieces etc, that's something I very much appreciate and enjoy (well not so much these days). When I'm complaining about the recent collections I'm not so much lamenting the lack of groundbreaking outfits as the progressive dilution of what made the label "ervellian" so to speak. Ervell is not a menswear store, he's a designer with a fashion show so I expect more of his collections than a procession of wearable menswear staples. It's been argued in the past that he should just forego runway shows altogether and I'm more and more inclined to agree. It wasn't always the case, if you look at old seasons you'll find a visual coherence and consistency that is sorely lacking in the 2011/12 hodepodges. Talking about a narrative here would be presumptuous but there was definitely a "vibe" for lack of a better world, a gentle collision of amish-like minimalism with technical fabrics and ever so slightly futuristic outerwear on a 90s shoegaze soundtrack gave the whole thing a youthful somewhat etheral and atemporal presence.

It's not all about pocket sweaters and leather backpacks, it's also about air jackets and sottsass prints and transparent pvc coats and mylar jackets and reversible outerwear and parachute trench and rust shirts...

So when someone says that Ervell is about the cut and the fit and not the creativity, I say "exactly."

And please, please, stop the bullshit about timeless elegance vs. escapist cosplay, Ervell is fashion period. And as long as he puts out shows and collections he'll be held to a higher standard than Gant Rugger. After all, i'm not the one who said "I want to make something more than clothes, I want to send a bigger aesthetic message.”

So in the end I'm actually not advocating for a new Ervell but for the old one, I'm a reactionary. Who's talking about reinvention now ?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

11. sipang

sipang Senior member

Yes, I read the interview thank you. It doesn't invalidate anything I said, I'm not sure what you're getting at with the bolded parts of my post so feel free to enlighten me.

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

No hostility here, the meaning of your previous post was a bit obscure but I just saw you edited it and it makes more sense now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

13. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Geez, finally he produces a navy suit! I've needed one for ages, will buy when it goes down in price a bit

14. sipang

sipang Senior member

Forgive me for being dense but are you actually agreeing with me disagreeing with you ?

So what you're saying is that you're a fashion victim ?

15. jwoowoo

jwoowoo Senior member

SS12 Ervell is up on the official site for purchase now. Some things were snatched up quickly already (...silk quilted bomber...)