• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official PATRIK ERVELL thread ***

knathaniel

Reaction score
Can anyone attest to how much Ervell jeans will stretch? I just bought a pair of the lightwash selvedge and they're pretty tight but I can't exactly return them (eBay buy).
Am I better off just selling them and sizing up?

mcfly26

Reaction score
Can anyone attest to how much Ervell jeans will stretch? I just bought a pair of the lightwash selvedge and they're pretty tight but I can't exactly return them (eBay buy).
Am I better off just selling them and sizing up?
depends on how much you need it to. i bought mine last season at retail in 28 as recommended (im true 30). although it has stretched some, i wouldnt say it got to the size needed. im trying day by day although not confident.

id recommend trying at least a week or wear before offloading.

btw, legs stretched nicely. the waist not so much

Last edited:

knathaniel

Reaction score
depends on how much you need it to. i bought mine last season at retail in 28 as recommended (im true 30). although it has stretched some, i wouldnt say it got to the size needed. im trying day by day although not confident.

id recommend trying at least a week or wear before offloading.

btw, legs stretched nicely. the waist not so much
This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.
Yeah, I figured I'd give them a bit before trying to resell them.
The waist I can live with, it's really the thighs and calves I'm worried about.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty cool interview from the oc blog : http://openingceremony.us/entry.asp?pid=9563
You said that you were interested in a lot of technical fabrics, but I noticed that there are a lot of cottons and silks, which are natural fabrics. Where does the tech element come in?
There are some nylon pieces, and rubberized cotton. It’s almost mimicking the first waterproof clothing, in which they would take cotton and just paint rubber on top of it to make a rubberized canvas. I always like experimenting with those kinds of fabrics. That one was actually developed for us.

You grew up in Marin County. Did you spend a lot of time at the ocean?
We were almost always within sight of the ocean or the bay. It’s all right there. Sailing was a big thing; I was on my high school sailing team for a year.

What did you usually wear while sailing?
You can wear shorts and a T-shirt, and you have to wear a life jacket. If it’s on a certain type of boat, then you also have to wear a harness, in case you fly out. All those sort of webbings, attachments, and cleats—all those things are really beautiful.

Did you try to implement any of those elements into the collection?

The Snap Belt shorts have that nylon belt [like a life jacket]. The MMXIV graphics aren't literal, but has that feeling. Another part of the inspiration was looking at Tommy Hilfiger in the early '90s, when they did a sailing collection. I met Tommy Hilfiger, and mentioned that to him. I think he was kind of amused by that. But it's emblazoned with numbers, year signs, etc. Spring/Summer is the first time there’s been any graphic like that. It reminds me a bit of that '90s streetwear, Tommy Hilfiger and also Polo Sport. I feel like it’s not a reference that anyone has dug out yet. There are people that fetishize that and collect it. I think that’s a really interesting moment in American fashion.

R300

Reaction score
Super interesting, cheers @toothsomesound

wondered where the sailing influences / inspiration originated from..

Last edited:

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the current season standard jeans have the ribbon waist like last season did?

I bought the navy and army colours last season in 34 and they're too big, but I am not sure if 32 with the ribbon waist would have been too small.

I really don't like the baggy thighs on last seasons (considering slimming) and the new season standard jeans look much slimmer (good).

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried on the unstructured blazer/suit this year? same fit as last S/S season's?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do the current season standard jeans have the ribbon waist like last season did?

I bought the navy and army colours last season in 34 and they're too big, but I am not sure if 32 with the ribbon waist would have been too small.

I really don't like the baggy thighs on last seasons (considering slimming) and the new season standard jeans look much slimmer (good).

I was curious about the difference in fit and fabric from the FW'13 jeans to this new seasons.... this is what the shop said:

The fit of the SS14 Standard Jeans is the same as the FW13 version. The fabric is in fact lighter by a few ounces, and is more appropriate for the spring/summer season.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised to read that slack tide because the current season are definitely different in their cut/shape.

Last seasons has a lot more room in the thigh and seat which you can see clearly comparing two. This seasons standard jeans are slimmer right through the leg. Look at the railroad stripe jeans for an idea of what last seasons were like. Not nearly as slim as current season standard jeans.

So they may be slightly lighter weight, but they're also a different cut without the 'baggy' thighs.

I did some more reading and it seems as though they retained the ribbon waist. I'll grab the 32's even if they don't stretch. I must have at least 1" too much room in the 34's I have now. Additional space in the waist, rise and highs means I'll probably sell my FW13 jeans for the current 32's.

Last edited:

death shot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last seasons has a lot more room in the thigh and seat which you can see clearly comparing two.

This is the fit I really want. I'm a true 31 if anybody wants to sell their jeans from last season.

mcfly26

Reaction score
hey guys, so I went to hand wash my selvedge denim for the first time after some months (was worried about shrinking).... when I checked the pants afterwards there was a lot of this yellow/ soil stains everywhere. Im soo sad cos it looks terrible
butbut.gif

I didnt use any product and washed gently myself....not sure what should I do or what might have happened/where this coloring come from.... any tips? can see from the pics?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have a lot of sulfur/calcium/minerals in your water at home? Or use a water softener system for hard water?
That's weird. If you didn't use any detergents and washed it by hand all I can think of is maybe if you use well water it could stain it.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you use any blemish products that have peroxide, the residue can be enough to cause staining/bleaching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads