• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**The Official P90X Thread**

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I'm hearing some fantastic things about this. I know some SFers have had serious transformations with the p90X, and I'm seriously considering it. I'm basically fit, but who wouldn't want to get more fit. What are your opinions on this program? For those who have done it, what are the workouts like? How long? What equipment do I need aside from the DVDs? What the diet program like? Is the food expensive?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also been thinking about trying this out for 3 months or so. Subscribed
smile.gif

bjornb17

Reaction score
Fellow P90X'er here. I am finishing my first round of P90X this week. It is a great program, especially if you follow the meal program. I've been kind of half-assed with the meal program and still lost 15 lbs and look great. I am going to do the program again after about a 1 week rest following the meal plan stricter.

The first weeks sucks ass terribly, since you won't be used to that type of workout. But once you start looking better you will look forward to doing it.

It is a 6 day-a-week program, and all of the workouts are between 50 and 60 minutes, with the exception of yoga x, which is 90 minutes. I usually substitute Cardio X for Yoga because of the time constraints, and well, doing yoga is super hard.

You really just need a mat, dumbells, and a pullup bar.

For the first month when i was following the diet strictly, it really wasn't any more expensive. The book has recipies for all the meals you can make, but it also has an alternate system with points and assigns certain number of points to different types of food, and tells you how much of each group to eat in a day. All I can tell you is that i hate eating eggs now because i've had so many over the last 3 months. I don't know how I ever could have liked eggs.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did it for a month last year and thought it was really great. Fell off the wagon a bit, but my last final exam is on Wednesday, so I think I'm going to start up again next week.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will I be able to play hockey on nights after a p90X workout? I guess I should wait until playoffs are over...

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
I did it for a month last year and thought it was really great. Fell off the wagon a bit so I think I'm going to start up again next week.
+1. Works even better if you can follow the diet program as well.
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Will I be able to play hockey on nights after a p90X workout? I guess I should wait until playoffs are over...
If you give the workout a 100% effort than I doubt you would be able to do anything after wards. Every time I do the workout I feel like passing out. Especially after doing plyometrics

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just started week 2 today. I really like the program and am continously really sore from the workouts. Ply is probably the most intense workout, but yoga's the toughest one for me.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P(power)90(days)X(extreme). There are several courses they have called P90, the P90X program is one of the more intense ones. Most of the actual workouts are around 40-50 min long plus a 10 min warmup. The abs one is 16 min long. You'll need variable strength resistance bands and/or dumbells, plus a pullup bar. Lots of pullups/chinups in the workouts. The workouts are interesting/unique yet intense. The theory behind the rapid transformation is the use of "muscle confusion" in the exercises to keep the body from getting used to the workouts and plateauing. It's not all pushups/pullups and weight lifting - there are Yoga and Kenpo Karate workout disks. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/P90X Criticism - 1) It's not a beginner's workout. You're kind of "thrown into the pool" and expected to swim. If you're really out of shape or overweight, it might be too intense. 2) It can be hard on the lower back until your back gets used to the exercises. He talks a lot about lightening the resistance if you feel any strain on the back. 3) Tony Horton is a good instructor yet he gets grating after a while. He's got a bit of a smart ass, alpha male, tries to be funny but comes off as cocky attitude about him. Praise - 1) It works. Youtube "P90X Transformation" for dozens of before and after videos. 2) You'll start noticing results quickly, and it motivates you to stay with the program.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it.

I quit the gym about 3 years ago and have been doing Beachbody programs since (P90X, P90X+ and One-on-One) and have seen better results.

mcnealy

Reaction score
I did it for about 2 and a half months before going off and making my own. It's an awesome program, I just wanted to listen to my own music when I workout!
wink.gif
Anyway, here's what I look like as of three days ago:
210530_1951703148348_1115721268_32317074_8247334_o.jpg
Nowadays, I just do 3 days a week of pushups, pullups, squats, etc (your regular old exercises) and on every day in between those I do the Spartacus Workout, which you can find on www.MensHealth.com (it's a solid cardio routine). And I eat healthy. That's the most important thing! Don't forget.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
It is a 6 day-a-week program, and all of the workouts are between 50 and 60 minutes, with the exception of yoga x, which is 90 minutes.

Good god.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 hour a day to exercise is not hard at all with a job.

Also, P90X is ok but Tony Horton is rather annoying. You can play hockey fine while doing P90X. The only day that might conflict with hockey would be the plyo disc which is only once a week. The rest is just weight lifting, pushups, and pullups.

I think insanity is far better than P90X. I prefer just going to the gym and lifting for the type of results P90X advertises.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
How does a working person have that amount of time?

I put in around 4.5 - 5 hours a week and that's all I can do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads