1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official P90X Thread**

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by NewYorkIslander, May 1, 2011.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

My biggest issue with Insanity is that it's very light on the resistance exercises and you lose strength over the course of the 2 months.

I'd substitute the P90X cardio exercises with Insanity workouts over doing the Insanity program.

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I agree. Usually I'll do the power, plyo, and cardio workouts 3 days and lift for 2 days to help prevent muscle loss with maybe 1 extra day to concentrate on sprints.

When people ask me which one is better P90x or Insanity, I always tell them it depends on what your goals are. If you're already muscular but want to trim down and increase cardio, then Insanity is better. If you want to build muscle and get into just overall better shape, then P90x would be better.

3. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I agree with this.
    First time through, your goal is simply to finish--you get used to finishing the workout and not quitting/giving up.
    If there is a really hard exercise, just modify, do something else during that time. Something is better than nothing or stopping or giving up.

I've done P90X consistently (3+ times a week) since September 2010 and I'm in the best shape of my life--by far. Way better than when I used to lift w/ free weights in college. I'm amazed at the muscle you can gain by just doing resistance exercises with body weight and bands. Of course, I'm not trying to get HUGE, but just toned and cut.

After getting pretty bored w/ P90X, I moved on to P90X-2...but so far it's just modification of all the exercises I have seen before. Which is fine, because that's sort of why P90X works--you do different exercises so your body doesn't adapt and you don't plateau.

Anyways, I think doing any sort of diet and exercising works if you continue it for 1 year+, but P90X just gives you the blueprint, which makes it easier.

4. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I did weights for years, with cardio just a 30 minute treadmill run every-other-day afterthought. Then I did P90X and increased my cardio tremendously, just because of the length of the cardio workouts. Then I got bored & did Insanity, but it was killer on my knees and, like Trini, I lost strength. Asylum has a pretty good Strength exercise workout, and for some reason, it's easier on my knees :confused:

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

What type of soup are you guys stirring?

lefty

6. UrbanComposition

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Do you "caw" like a pterodactyl backing up?

lefty

8. samblackbones

samblackbones Senior member

I do ab ripper x for core along with running a hell of a lot of miles but I definitely feel like a) it works great b) is fairly easy to do as the guy talks you through it and c) yields a pretty solid six(+)pack. That being said I run 80+ miles a week so I don't have a ton of fat.
    People I know who stay consistent with it get blasted/yoked/swoll/etc.

9. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Interestingly enough, my favourite P90 routines are the P90X+ ones - primarily because they're quicker in pace than P90X.

I end up changing up the exercises a bit but I still use the videos for pacing purposes.

If you haven't checked out P90X+ or are bored of P90X, I'd give it a shot.

Finally, check out teamripped.com

The guy/coach on there has had ridiculous results and comes up with a bunch of hybrid workouts that use P90, Insanity, etc.

Like all the other Beachbody 'coaches', he shills their products but his results are kinda unfuckablewith.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  10. crazy dog lady

crazy dog lady New Member

11. crazy dog lady

crazy dog lady New Member

I started P90X about 4 weeks ago and LOVE IT!!

12. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I'm with UC- Although I'm doing both now. I'll do an Insanity or Asylum in the morning and do my weight routine in the afternoon. It's all about the Sean T, not a Tony guy.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Anyone tried out P90X-2?

Thinking about giving it another run this winter after CX season is done...wonder if I should try the sequel instead of the original.

14. UrbanComposition

Do not like p90x-2. Only because of Tony. Great workouts though.

15. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Anyone do Insanity with P90X?

16. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I've just finished two rounds of a P90X -insanity hybrid. I do the weights from P90X and the max cardio conditioning/ max interval circuits/ max plyo from insanity. The first time I did the 'lean' option with more reps but the second time I went heavier with the weights with fewer reps. I've bulked up in the arms and shoulders, and tightened up all round though I still have a some fat to loose in the lower abdomen. My left knee gets pretty sore after insanity, I twisted it in the past during a snowboarding accident - I wear support and modify exercises to reduce stress on the knees.

I never followed the diet as I have to eat wit others who aren't into it, but am happy with the results. I'm probably going to the T25 and 10 minute trainers now, to save on time and just to provide 'maintenance' exercises.

17. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

So Insanity is good for getting flat abs? I have some, but not much, flab around my gut I need to lose.

18. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I'd say it is as long as you stick to their dietary recommendations, what's the phrase 'abs are cooked in the kitchen' or something.