• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**The Official P90X Thread**

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I am taking a week off....

My apartment flooded this weekend so I've missed 3 days now due to not having any workout space/being busy dealing with ****. Too bad as I had a pretty damn good record up to now :)

I'll just start it back up where I left off (week 11 day 1) on saturday...but its not like I will be just sitting on ****** until then

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using a cheap set from Wal-mart, but am thinking about jumping on this deal for the SelectTech 1090 dumbbells. Any thoughts?
Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Dumbbells Pair (90lbs each) $359 free shipping from Bowflex. Starts 12AM Eastern

$599 - 40% off = $359

Starts 12AM Eastern (Time may not be exact)

Use Promo Code DB9A

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm currently using a cheap set from Wal-mart, but am thinking about jumping on this deal for the SelectTech 1090 dumbbells. Any thoughts?
Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Dumbbells Pair (90lbs each) $359 free shipping from Bowflex. Starts 12AM Eastern

$599 - 40% off = $359

Starts 12AM Eastern (Time may not be exact)

Use Promo Code DB9A

The reviews on Amazon are mixed. http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-Selec...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The speed at which Tony goes from exercise to exercise doesn't seem conducive to adjustable dumbbells, as you'll have to pause the video to change the weight depending on the muscles you're working out. For example, in the Back and Biceps session, lawnmowers need heavier weights than regular bicep curls.

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 52.5 lb set and highly recommend them. I also need to upgrade to the 90s.

Tony uses them on the P90X+ videos.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The speed at which Tony goes from exercise to exercise doesn't seem conducive to adjustable dumbbells, as you'll have to pause the video to change the weight depending on the muscles you're working out. For example, in the Back and Biceps session, lawnmowers need heavier weights than regular bicep curls.

If you're going heavy and doing 8 reps, you'll have enough time because of the chick who's doing 12-15 reps.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
I went with the Powerblock U-90 set instead of the SelectTechs. Overall they're great but my one complaint is that it's a pain to do 2.5lb adjustments as opposed to the 5lb adjustment. You add in a little metal cylinder if you want to adjust by only 2.5lbs as opposed to sliding the pin out for 5lb increments. Other than that though, I haven't had a single issue with them in over 2 years.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by bjornb17
It is a 6 day-a-week program, and all of the workouts are between 50 and 60 minutes, with the exception of yoga x, which is 90 minutes.

Good god.
...and the abs program, which is less than 20 minutes.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks TRINI--I am trying to go heavy, so that works great for me.

In a perfect world, I would have gone Powerblock or Ironmaster, but their prices are a little steep. Selecttech for $350 shipped (while they're going for $500-550 on Craigslist) seemed too good to pass up. I'd like to think that if they don't work out, I can flip them locally and not lose any cash.

My understanding is that they replaced the plastic piece noted in the 2008 Amazon.com review with a metal piece in the second iteration of the product, which greatly increases durability, so I'm less concerned about that as well.

If anyone else is interested, I believe the code expires at 3am EST and has been changed to 3DAY1090

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anyone else is interested, I believe the code expires at 3am EST and has been changed to 3DAY1090

DAMMIT. That code only works for the US.

I want (need?) to upgrade to the 90s...

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd proxy for you, but the shipping weight is 212 pounds :foo:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just started this program and wanted to ask you guys: How important do you feel the supplements are? I'm going to buy some protein powder, but I'm skeptical about the value of the "peak health formula" and the "peak recovery formula."

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just started this program and wanted to ask you guys: How important do you feel the supplements are? I'm going to buy some protein powder, but I'm skeptical about the value of the "peak health formula" and the "peak recovery formula."

That stuff of theirs is just marketing. The instructional videos are great (in that the results are quick), the accessories and supplements are meh - overpriced.

Last edited:

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I'ved used the 1090s for 3 years now... a set of free dumbells would indeed be faster (not twirling of dials), but there isn't room in my house for a big set. The 1090s are much more space-friendly. After 3 years, I've noticed that it's a little harder to turn the knobs on one of the dumbells, as though something's out of line. Other than that, they were a very good investment in my opinion. If you aren't that muscular, the smaller version (only goes up to 50 or 60 pounds) might have been better for you, since they are smaller and easier to maneuver. However, now that I'm almost done with Phase 3 of P90X, I'm using 70 lbs for lawnmowers. If you plan on really putting on mass, then I guess the 1090s are the way to go.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've not been doing the whole program, but just adopted the chest/back as my upper body routine. i like the intensity. (lower body consists of squats, DL and running/cycling.)
thing is that i miss resistance, and feel im losing a bit of size in my upper body, has anyone else substituted bench press or other weights for at least some of the press ups?
so far im doing a light-ish 3 sets of 80kg instead of the regular pressups ( i weigh around 72kg).
any other advice?

Last edited:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i've not been doing the whole program, but just adopted the chest/back as my upper body routine. i like the intensity. (lower body consists of squats, DL and running/cycling.)
thing is that i miss resistance, and feel im losing a bit of size in my upper body, has anyone else substituted bench press or other weights for at least some of the press ups?
so far im doing a light-ish 3 sets of 80kg instead of the regular pressups ( i weigh around 72kg).
any other advice?

Can't comment about size since I'm an ectomorph and gaining muscle mass is a very slow process. I have been substituting a lot of different exercises just to change it up a bit. And as long as you're targeting the same muscles groups - why not? I've finished the program and now I've only been doing the arms/chest/back videos. I've been replacing many of the exercises with isometric equivalents, hopefully to keep the muscles and brain guessing. Instead of doing 30 pushups I'll hold my body in a low pushup position, an inch or two off the floor during the duration of the exercise. Or I'll do pullups and hold myself in the up position.

I found these to be pretty effective replacements to the chest exercises

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads