• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Notre Dame Football Thread

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
That win was an appropriate USC victory. An illegal push by a player illegally enticed to USC.

musicboohoo[1].gif

chyrspchuck

Reaction score
That is such crap. Ty had one good season. After two crappy seasons, he was fired. Weis had two good seasons, which led to his extension. He had three crappy seaons and then was fired. One reason Weis was only fired until after 3 bad seaons was that in '07 and '08 almost all our skill players were freshman and sophmores. So, he was cut a lot of slack. When the team didn't perform in '09, it was over. Also, Weis consistently recruited very well, so there was always the potential for greatness. Ty only had one good recruiting season.

Sorry, I'm a huge ND fan but Charlie's contract was extended after 7 games, not 2 years, we were 5-2 at that point. We had just beat BYU and the week before lost to USC thanks to the bush push. I don't know why they didn't just let him play under the 6 year contract. I think what they did to Ty was poor but in all reality, he was an inept coach who showed how terrible he was at Washington 2 years ago. Charlie was a great recruiter, but I do think he baby'ed the boys a little too much. Jimmy and Golden were like sons to him not his football players.

That being said, I agree with the sentiment that we have gotten smoked over the last several years, I think obviously we are still relevant or people wouldn't play their best game against us always or talk about us constantly. That being said, I think the culture around ND has changed since BK came to town and I think we will play well for the next several years.

w.mj

Reaction score
Grew up pulling for the Irish but it's tough to get too excited anymore. So clear that schools like Florida/Alabama/USC are simply playing a different sport; their players are serving an apprenticeship for the NFL with only a perfunctory nod towards academia.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
Grew up pulling for the Irish but it's tough to get too excited anymore. So clear that schools like Florida/Alabama/USC are simply playing a different sport; their players are serving an apprenticeship for the NFL with only a perfunctory nod towards academia.

+1...

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chyrspchuck
I think obviously we are still relevant or people wouldn't play their best game against us always or talk about us constantly.

Do ND fans really believe this? I'm not asking out of prickishness or to poke fun; I sincerely can't imagine anyone who knows anything about college football actually thinking ND is "still relevant" or "talked about...constantly."

There may be really good, legitimate reasons for ND's decline, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. ND football just doesn't matter much in college football right now.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Do ND fans really believe this? I'm not asking out of prickishness or to poke fun; I sincerely can't imagine anyone who knows anything about college football actually thinking ND is "still relevant" or "talked about...constantly."

There may be really good, legitimate reasons for ND's decline, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. ND football just doesn't matter much in college football right now.

From a competition standpoint, ND has not been one of the better programs in the country. From a business standpoint, they are evry relevent. They bring in major money which is why the Big 10 chased them so hard and why NBC and the bowls chase after them. Of course the Notre Dame fans would prefer to have a program like Texas, Oklahoma, FLorida, etc these past 10 years! Time will tell if this new coach can turn the program around. It won't happen overnight.

On another note....I know there is a long way to go but Alabama looks unstoppable.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
From a competition standpoint, ND has not been one of the better programs in the country. From a business standpoint, they are evry relevent. They bring in major money which is why the Big 10 chased them so hard and why NBC and the bowls chase after them. Of course the Notre Dame fans would prefer to have a program like Texas, Oklahoma, FLorida, etc these past 10 years! Time will tell if this new coach can turn the program around. It won't happen overnight.

On another note....I know there is a long way to go but Alabama looks unstoppable.

Man every top 5 team looks "unstoppable" playing scrubs.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian Kelly is putting together a good class of defensive players.

guster

Reaction score

If Tuitt stays firm, then that would be a nice DE/OLB class with Lynch, Tuitt, & Willams as the big names. Lynch & Williams started classes today. They also just got Hounshell, Ohio's D-II defensive player of the year. They also have Springmann, Carrico along the line. They have not recruited D-lineman like this since the 80's.

Weis was a good recruiter but seemed to excel getting the skill O positions. He had some big D recruits along the way (Manti Teo) but he really struggled at D-line.

Who knows how these guys will pan out but it is a nice start.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
If Tuitt stays firm, then that would be a nice DE/OLB class with Lynch, Tuitt, & Willams as the big names. Lynch & Williams started classes today. They also just got Hounshell, Ohio's D-II defensive player of the year. They also have Springmann, Carrico along the line. They have not recruited D-lineman like this since the 80's.

Weis was a good recruiter but seemed to excel getting the skill O positions. He had some big D recruits along the way (Manti Teo) but he really struggled at D-line.

Who knows how these guys will pan out but it is a nice start.

I can't believe Tuitt committed to GT!

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

That should help them hang with Tulsa this season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads