1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official NFL Thread: 2012-13 Season

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

God this game is taking forever with all of the stoppages.

2. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I have long been predisposed to seeing the NFL's side of things in many instances. Maybe it's a political thing, maybe it's a self-identity thing, but I always tend to believe the owners get a bad rap. While I'm certainly a lot more sympathetic to the players in the NFL (who don't have guaranteed contracts and pay an awful physical price for playing the game) than in other sports like MLB, I think much of the negative press about the owners is overstated.

I initially supported the Payton/WilliamsVilma/Saints suspensions, finding the bounty stuff to be really repugnant and thuggish.

I initially tended to support them in the lockout with officials. NFL referees are good at what they do, but it's a part time job and they make almost incomprehensible amounts of money for a part-time job. And I didn't believe NFL officials were that special that nobody else could do the job. (actually, I'm still not sure I believe that entirely)

But the NFL is really starting to look like shit in both of these affairs. The Saints thing is starting to look like an example-making overreaction based on shoddy evidence over a practice that appears to have been pretty common for a long time. The replacement refs are a real joke. The product on the field is very shoddy at the moment, and when it comes down to it, the amount of money they're fighting over is peanuts.

Roger Goodell is looking pretty douchey at the moment.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Al Michaels had the perfect analogy: The replacement referees are the substitute teachers who are being taken advantage of by the kids. I hope it's not going to take a serious injury to a player in a post-play fracas to get the NFL to realize it's being penny wise and pound foolish.

1 person likes this.
  4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

That game last night was unwatchable to me.

5. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

While I think the officiating is a joke, I think the player safety claims are bogus. These guys clearly don't know how to call PI or spot the ball and they're missing a lot of mundane stuff like holding, but they're not markedly worse at calling the roughing stuff that causes concussions and/or spinal injury. If anything, the worst call I've seen in that regard was flagging the Ravens for a roughing call on a perfect, legal, clean hit on Mike Vick. I guess they are losing some control of the game with stuff like the grabbing and a bit of post-whistle chippiness but if someone blows an ACL at the bottom of a pile because someone was pissed about a no-call and twists another guy's leg, that's hardly on the officials. Particularly in a league where, by the admissions of lots of former players, there have been player-driven bounty systems for years.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

In the Cowboys game Sunday they missed a really ugly blindside hit on Sean Lee by Golden Tate but on the same play called a late hit on a light push by Bruce Carter when Wilson was inches out of bounds.

Basically cost the Cowboys the game :sarcasm:

7. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

So whats the opinion on the Bucs last play? I know it is the unwritten rule but it has always seemed dumb when the game is within a score.

What was going through Eli's mind I wonder? Could you imagine if he did fumble after that amazing last quarter?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  8. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I think it's incredibly dumb and dangerous. Even if they did recover the fumble there's no way they were going to be able to run it in since there's always RB's back their to stop them on what was essentially the last play of the game. Doing this opens up players to unnecessary injuries and now teams are going to do it back to you. It's easy for a coach to order this because he's not the one putting his body on the line. Imagine if a team did this to the Bucs now and injured Josh Freeman or one of his own defensive players got hurt. He'd look incredibly stupid and in over his head.

Greg is also full of shit saying he teaches to play until the final whistle. If he was really trying to play until the final whistle, he wouldn't have done kneel downs to end the 1st half and he would've used his timeout at the end of the game. He basically did this to be an asshole.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:(

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

RIP Steve Sabol.

Had no idea he was sick

11. Mark Anthony

I get you and don't disagree. I guess there gets to a point where the unwritten rule can be taken to an extreme, especially if the winning team is pinned relatively close to their goal line. General point, not necessarily speaking of this past Sunday.

There was good debate on sports radio here in Vancouver about it and trying to find similar scenarios in other sports like hockey and basketball.

All said, Football has enough issues with danger maybe this is the one rare play where the players do take safety seriously.

12. Mark Anthony

Agreed. The work he and his dad did is amazing. The testiment is that even non football fans would stop and watch those films - and enjoy them.

13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Those films are iconic.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Must be quite sad for a father and son to both reach old age, and then for the father to outlive the son.

Ed Sabol is still healthy at 96.

15. Mark Anthony

At least it was somewhat old age for Steve, like to think 69 is still pretty young. Ed worked into his 80s if I am not mistaken.

16. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

While true, there's never really been proof before. I waver on this point, and I may even be contradicting myself, but look at it this way - If you were caught on tape saying that you would pay a guy to go out and break somebody's leg, or seriously injure a guy for $10k, you would be having an interesting discussion with a DA. You could probably even become SF's own prison fashion blogger.

If Gooddell doesn't over react, he risks multiple things, largely, a guy who does get seriously hurt, has this kind of proof and is pissed off enough to do something about it. For the league, if they have knowledge and don't do something, they risk huge liability, perhaps even rico type stuff, or at least the criminalization of parts of the game. While it sucks for Vilma et al, you're not seeing much protest on the part of Saints brass.

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Boy..that Jets defense is sure top notch!!
    :eh:

18. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

Nice to see Tony Romo still sucks.:D

19. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Romo just got crushed on that last sack.

20. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

These refs suck. Just cost the Bucs a touchdown off a fumble recovery that they missed. This will be second red flag the Bucs had to throw to get a bad call reversed.