The Official NFL Thread: 2012-13 Season

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Aug 11, 2012.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

My understanding was that the Chiefs took the initiative, telling the NFL they wanted to play the game.

2. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Realistically, there was no alternative except playing the game tomorrow and having two MNF games. How much of a difference is a day going to make? They certainly couldn't not play the game.

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Reading comments on ESPN stories will make you lose your faith in humanity in general.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The Redskins played after the murder of Sean Taylor, which IMO was a much greater tragedy than Belcher's suicide. If Romeo Crennel is emotionally capable of coaching the game, the Chiefs should go ahead and play.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

what a horrible story.

this does not surprise me in the least. it also nauseates me. do you think you could coach or play in a football game so soon after seeing a friend/teammate blow their brains out? i certainly could not.

i also dont like when players play on the day of/after losing a parent. ffs, be with your family. i know the standard line is, "i know its what he/she would want me to do. im doing it for them...." but it still seems absurd to me. yes, you are a manly man, we get it. take the day off and be with your family. no one will think less of you. i mean, everyone has the right to grieve in their own way, but it seems awfully callous to me. ymmv.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. in stitches

would it be impossible to push it off til midweek? a few days can make a big difference.

im not even going to. i can only imagine the stupidity that reveals itself there.

7. L'Incandescent

My take on that is that people grieve in very different ways, so I'm very hesitant to judge. I can't imagine being in Romeo Crennel's shoes, though. I have no idea how I'd respond to that.

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

No. Their bodies won't have enough time to recover for the next week's game. This is why you'll never see a team play a MNF and then a Thursday night in the same week. Pushing the game to Wed or Thurs would give the team a serious disadvantage for the next week's game.

9. L'Incandescent

Rams and 49ers are both undefeated against their division this year. Looks like a case of the irresistible force meeting the immovable object. But the Rams are at home, celebrating their 75th anniversary, and wearing their royal blue and yellow throwbacks. I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a Rams victory today.

10. in stitches

yes, i understand that. and i am probably just imaging what it would be like for someone who would grieve like i would. its just odd to me. im sure to others, its not odd at all.

the whole thing is just a damn shame. there is really is no good option. best of luck to all involved. :(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

let me tell you, it ain't easy.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

when did we stop saying "Steve Smith has to make that catch" and now the accepted way of saying things is "if you're Steve Smith, you have to make that catch"...?

should I start saying this too? tomorrow I'm gonna go check on my staff members who are preparing our presentation for next Monday and say "well, if you're Sam, you need to start using Calibri font instead of Arial"

13. L'Incandescent

If you're HRoi, you gotta start doing that.

14. in stitches

Peterson is a beast

15. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Just saw the Peterson run. :wow: