The Official NFL Thread: 2012-13 Season

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Aug 11, 2012.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

In the Cowboys game Sunday they missed a really ugly blindside hit on Sean Lee by Golden Tate but on the same play called a late hit on a light push by Bruce Carter when Wilson was inches out of bounds.

Basically cost the Cowboys the game :sarcasm:

2. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

So whats the opinion on the Bucs last play? I know it is the unwritten rule but it has always seemed dumb when the game is within a score.

What was going through Eli's mind I wonder? Could you imagine if he did fumble after that amazing last quarter?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I think it's incredibly dumb and dangerous. Even if they did recover the fumble there's no way they were going to be able to run it in since there's always RB's back their to stop them on what was essentially the last play of the game. Doing this opens up players to unnecessary injuries and now teams are going to do it back to you. It's easy for a coach to order this because he's not the one putting his body on the line. Imagine if a team did this to the Bucs now and injured Josh Freeman or one of his own defensive players got hurt. He'd look incredibly stupid and in over his head.

Greg is also full of shit saying he teaches to play until the final whistle. If he was really trying to play until the final whistle, he wouldn't have done kneel downs to end the 1st half and he would've used his timeout at the end of the game. He basically did this to be an asshole.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:(

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

RIP Steve Sabol.

Had no idea he was sick

6. Mark Anthony

I get you and don't disagree. I guess there gets to a point where the unwritten rule can be taken to an extreme, especially if the winning team is pinned relatively close to their goal line. General point, not necessarily speaking of this past Sunday.

There was good debate on sports radio here in Vancouver about it and trying to find similar scenarios in other sports like hockey and basketball.

All said, Football has enough issues with danger maybe this is the one rare play where the players do take safety seriously.

7. Mark Anthony

Agreed. The work he and his dad did is amazing. The testiment is that even non football fans would stop and watch those films - and enjoy them.

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Those films are iconic.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Must be quite sad for a father and son to both reach old age, and then for the father to outlive the son.

Ed Sabol is still healthy at 96.

10. Mark Anthony

At least it was somewhat old age for Steve, like to think 69 is still pretty young. Ed worked into his 80s if I am not mistaken.

11. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

While true, there's never really been proof before. I waver on this point, and I may even be contradicting myself, but look at it this way - If you were caught on tape saying that you would pay a guy to go out and break somebody's leg, or seriously injure a guy for $10k, you would be having an interesting discussion with a DA. You could probably even become SF's own prison fashion blogger.

If Gooddell doesn't over react, he risks multiple things, largely, a guy who does get seriously hurt, has this kind of proof and is pissed off enough to do something about it. For the league, if they have knowledge and don't do something, they risk huge liability, perhaps even rico type stuff, or at least the criminalization of parts of the game. While it sucks for Vilma et al, you're not seeing much protest on the part of Saints brass.

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Boy..that Jets defense is sure top notch!!
    :eh:

13. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

Nice to see Tony Romo still sucks.:D

14. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Romo just got crushed on that last sack.

15. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

These refs suck. Just cost the Bucs a touchdown off a fumble recovery that they missed. This will be second red flag the Bucs had to throw to get a bad call reversed.