• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a great night of fights but the right people won. Kenny is and always has been overrated. I don't think he has ever beat a top ten guy. Having Edgar win really opens up LW. Maia needs to step it up, right now he looks like a gate keeper at beast.

Looking forward to the next UFC, I really hope Mir gets knocked into next week but I'm not holding my breath.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Awesome, I hope RN can bounce back. Gotta love guys that do it their way.

I'm not sure that "bounce back" would be the way to characterize it. He earned a lot of respect in the decision loss against Dos Santos. He stood for 3 rounds against the most feared striker in the heavyweight division, someone who hasn't gone out of the first round. But yeah, it would be great to see him rack up some wins against that level of competition.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose " I hope he can take the next step and beat a top 3 guy" might be a better way of putting it.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
NSFStomachs:

Marcus Davis' eye

:barf:

Some boxer said it best when he said "It looks like he's got a head growing out of his head."

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
He really needs to fire everyone, get off of Hilo, and go train at a camp with top guys who will challenge him.
I remember watching one of those preview shows ahead of ** fighting GSP, and GSP was talking about all the guys he trains with (in Montreal, a bunch of Olympians, ahead of a fight, with Rashad/Jardine/Marquardt and a bunch of Alberquerque Jacksonians) and saying that they were "like brothers". ** mocked this saying something to the effect of "how could GSP hope to compete training with his like brothers when he, ** Penn, was here in Hawaii training with his actual brother?!" and I was like 'uhhhhhh ****....how many belts have your brothers won?"

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Wrong Diaz, that was his brother and it was a blood stoppage anyway, hardly a "smash up."

OK, but I hate both of them in any event, and Nate even more. Well, at least I'm convinced if they kept fighting, things would have gotten worse for Nick Diaz, not better. It's hard to fight when blood is blinding you, and there is no way he would have submitted Noons if they were slippery from his blood. I wished they let them keep fighting.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOFL @ Josh Koscheck being a coach on Ultimate Fighter. The guys a complete ******* joke of a fighter. He's really good at wrestling, I'll give him that, but he is completely mediocre in pretty much every other part of his game.

And I know he's ranked highly.... and that completely blows my ******* mind, considering he has never beaten a decent fighter in his prime. He has lost to them though.

I'm thinking about taking a loan out for like $100,000 and betting it on GSP when they fight. Short of GSP having a heart attack and dying, I think he's got the win in the bag.

JesterM

Reaction score
^^agreed. I think Fitch would give GSP a tougher fight (and be a better coach) but since Kos talks so much **** he'll bring the ratings to the show and eventual fight.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
LOFL @ Josh Koscheck being a coach on Ultimate Fighter. The guys a complete ******* joke of a fighter. He's really good at wrestling, I'll give him that, but he is completely mediocre in pretty much every other part of his game.

And I know he's ranked highly.... and that completely blows my ******* mind, considering he has never beaten a decent fighter in his prime. He has lost to them though.

I'm thinking about taking a loan out for like $100,000 and betting it on GSP when they fight. Short of GSP having a heart attack and dying, I think he's got the win in the bag.

laugh.gif
worship.gif
^ This whole thing!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesterM
^^agreed. I think Fitch would give GSP a tougher fight (and be a better coach) but since Kos talks so much **** he'll bring the ratings to the show and eventual fight.
Fitch coaching: OK so here is how you take him down, here is how you pin him, and here is how you hold him down, and here is how you wait for the clock to tick by, and here is where you win a judge's decision for controlling the entire fight.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion

I disagree. Koscheck gave GSP a good fight in their first meeting. GSP won a unanimous decision, but a lot of people don't remember that two judges gave Koscheck the first round. Halfway through the third round, Koscheck went for a double leg and GSP did an amazing sprawl where he hopped on one foot backward across half the Octagon and ended up in top position until the end of the fight. Had Koscheck gotten that takedown, it is very possible that he would have won a split decision.

Yes, GSP has improved a lot since that fight, but Koscheck has as well. I think Koscheck was caught unprepared by GSP's wrestling ability, and will be practicing his wrestling more for this fight. I think Koscheck can, and will, put GSP on his back in this fight. How GSP reacts will be very interesting, because he's very rarely been on the bottom in his UFC career.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
GSP coaching: OK so here is how you take him down, here is how you pin him, and here is how you hold him down, and here is how you wait for the clock to tick by, and here is where you win a judge's decision for controlling the entire fight.
Fixed that for you. I watched GSP fight Dan Hardy from about ten feet away, and this was his exact strategy.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
there is no comparison between GSP and Fitch for boredom generation dude...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
there is no comparison between GSP and Fitch for boredom generation dude...
Maybe not, but you can't criticize Fitch in this context for using that strategy when GSP uses the same exact strategy. GSP used to be a lot more exciting, but I feel like his past couple of fights, and especially the Hardy fight, used the same formula you described for Fitch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads