• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to see some videos of traditional kung fu masters getting stomped by MMA fighters.

Lendo

Reaction score

I'd like to see some videos of traditional kung fu masters getting stomped by MMA fighters.

bullshido.net

Curious to see what happens when/if McGregor makes the jump to LW. Him vs. Cerrone would be a hell of a fight. Rockhold looked solid, that fight should have been stopped in the 3rd round imo.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bullshido.net

Curious to see what happens when/if McGregor makes the jump to LW. Him vs. Cerrone would be a hell of a fight. Rockhold looked solid, that fight should have been stopped in the 3rd round imo.
Cerrone and McGregor would be a good fight, but it would be a warmup fight for Conor unless Cerrone decided to become a wrestler again. Cowboy fights too much like a traditional Thai boxer, and takes a lot of shots. McGregor can crack harder, moves better. although he gets hit as well, and seems to have a very solid chin. On the other hand, although Cowboy regularly gets drawn into ill considered brawls, I've rarely seen him lunge into a punch, unlike poor Aldo. I feel bad for Jose because that has happened to me more than once, though, in private and for zero money.

KotaB

Reaction score
Be pretty cool for this thread to pick back up. Who yal got?!
ad.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like DC if he decides to wrestle, Miocic if DC decides to stand and strike.

Pretty accurate prediction by @LA Guy on Cerrone-McGregor, although it wasn't a good fight. Probably would have been a much better fight in 2016. I would like to see Gaethje-McGregor. Conor ducked that fight in picking Cerrone, but will rush to sign on the dotted line if Gaethje upsets Khabib.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like DC if he decides to wrestle, Miocic if DC decides to stand and strike.

Pretty accurate prediction by @LA Guy on Cerrone-McGregor, although it wasn't a good fight. Probably would have been a much better fight in 2016. I would like to see Gaethje-McGregor. Conor ducked that fight in picking Cerrone, but will rush to sign on the dotted line if Gaethje upsets Khabib.

I have DC if DC can close the distance and wrestle, or can fight up against the cage in the clinch.

Miocic is a midrange fighter who has better boxing fundamentals. Neither is winning a HW boxing belt anytime soon, but Stipe is a solid amateur boxer and very durable. I really like DC, but not only is his boxing very brawl-y, he is over that year 40 mark, *and* has taken at least a few bad KOs and TKOs. He used to have the advantage of not having many MMA miles on his body despite being an older fighter, but that has not been the case for a while now.

Conor has a way better chance against Gaethje than against Khabib. The only way he beats Khabib is if Khabib’s head is in a bad place, which it could easily be, given the death of his father. Either that, or Conor goes back in time to begin wrestling before the age of 10. Otherwise, he’ll just get Khabibed over and over again. Conor is a good fighter with a good learning attitude, but that only goes so far.

KotaB

Reaction score
DC was busting up Miocic in the second fight. When Miocic started throwing those hooks to the body was when DC started losing. If he fixes that issue I see him doing the same strategy and winning.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you all think of the possibility of Francis Ngannou becoming the UFC HW champion? I think it's a bit embarrassing for the UFC that a super-athletic guy with the skills of a Toughman competitor (okay a bit harsh, but not too far from the truth) can become champion.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Smaller cage suits DC a little more then Stipe, but I'm still on Miocic taking the fairytale ending away from Cormier on this one. This at least means that the belt doesnt get vacated the moment it's won (I'm looking at you GSP), and we don't have to worry about Ngannou swooping in to fight for a vacant title - presumably against the guy that just lost it.

Last edited:

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
What do you all think of the possibility of Francis Ngannou becoming the UFC HW champion? I think it's a bit embarrassing for the UFC that a super-athletic guy with the skills of a Toughman competitor (okay a bit harsh, but not too far from the truth) can become champion.
hi Chris, how's it going...saw this question pop up with Uncle Chael a little while ago...

Last edited:

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score

I don't think there's anything embarrassing about it at all -- athleticism and physical specs can overcome a lot of "technical" deficiencies in every single professional sport out there. IMO it's not a knock to have, quite possibly, the most powerful puncher ever (combined with the fact he's in shape) be at the top of the HW division, which, by most accounts has historically been... the least "skilled" division in aggregate.

That being said, if what you posit about his skills being shoddy are true -- eventually he'll age and get beat and the world is right again. A "flash champion" has plenty of precedent in all sports.

To me, it would be saying it's embarrassing that Dwight Howard won DPOY so many times with relatively little "technical skill". There's definitely an argument to be made/something to be said, but I think it'd be a non-issue really.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see last night's UFC event? Chris Weidman looked terrible. Lazy striking, ineffectual takedowns, and gassed out in the second round. This was a gimme fight and he needed a third round of lay and pray to secure the victory. Any middleweight with skills, decent cardio, and passable takedown defense would stop Weidman within two. He needs to take his gold watch and retire before he risks CTE.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got Stipe, 48-47. Can't believe DC didn't wrestle more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads