1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

can anyone point me at a website where I can watch the fight (before the UFC's lawyers get hold of it)?

mmalinker.com

And sorry TS but Forest won.

2. bob_gnarly

bob_gnarly Senior member

silva does walk around 210-215. dana white said that about him awhile ago. silva will win his fight on the 19th. even if sandman is a bully fighter close up, silva can just use his superb thai clinch and take care of business. anyone can get knocked out so thats always possible. but i def. see anderson winning this fight, then getting that LHW belt, there's no other striker better then anderson right now[​IMG] ...too bad we wont see silva vs. roy jones

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

Anderson has a real chance at a LHW belt while it is around Forrest's waist. I like Forrest a lot, and I do believe he won the Rampage fight, however I wouldnt rank him the no 1 LHW in the world at the moment.

If Silva gets fast tracked (which knowing Dana White's love for him, he may well) he could end up only a couple of qualifying fights away from a title shot. There are people more deserving of that shot, but it wouldnt surprise me at all to see Anderson leapfrog a lot of more established guys at 205.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Some new news.

5. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    that sounds like Silva. The man is a class act however the free show won't hurt afflications viewership at all. That's what tevo is for.

6. Matt

Matt Senior member

Big big MMA weekend beckons. It's come up in various places throughout the UFC/MMA threads, but totally deserves its own...and in order to trump Chris, goddammit, I am starting it on Tuesday [​IMG] Affliction Banned. Absolutely the best heavyweight card ever assembled, and damn...maybe the best.card.ever. Main card * WAMMA Heavyweight Championship bout: Fedor Emelianenko vs Tim Sylvia * Heavyweight bout: Andrei Arlovski vs Ben Rothwell * Heavyweight bout: Josh Barnett vs Pedro Rizzo * Middleweight bout: Matt Lindland vs Fabio Negao * Light heavyweight bout: Renato Sobral vs Mike Whitehead Preliminary card * Heavyweight bout: Aleksander Emelianenko vs Paul Buentello * Light heavyweight bout: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Edwin Dewees * Middleweight bout: Vitor Belfort vs Terry Martin * Featherweight bout: Savant Young vs Mark Hominick * Welterweight bout: Mike Pyle vs JJ Ambrose * Middleweight bout: Justin Levens vs Ray Lazama My take on Banned - Sylvia over Fedor pretty comfortably. Rothwell to upset Arlovski. Barnett and Lindland to cruise through. Interested to see how Belfort has aged. And, as we all know right now, in a move that is brilliant, shrewd, and terrible for the sport as a whole, we have the hastily assembled - but objectively still pretty decent - UFC Silva vs Irvin, with the following card: Main card * Light Heavyweight bout: Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin * Lightweight bout: Hermes Franca vs. Frank Edgar * Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy * Welterweight bout: Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns * Middleweight bout: Jesse Taylor vs. C.B. Dollaway * Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez vs. Jake O'Brien Preliminary card * Welterweight bout: Brad Blackburn vs. James Giboo * Welterweight bout: Rory Markham vs. Brodie Farber * Lightweight bout: Dale Hart vs. Shannon Gugerty * Middleweight bout: Nate Loughran vs. Johnny Rees * Middleweight bout: Tim Credeur vs. Cale Yarborough My picks - Spider over Irvin very comfortably. Interested to see how Franca and Frankie line up. Vera has a lot to prove, so I'm with him. Taylor over Dolloway (but has Taylor really paid the price? They are so setting him up to be the next Tito/Koscheck-esque heel). Other thoughts?

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I've got some different picks.

Fedor by armbar. Timmy has a good chin, but he can be put on his ass. See his fights with Arlovski and Couture. Fedor's boxing is better than people give him credit for. I think Fedor gets inside, maybe not right away, and knocks Sylvia down. From there, it's just a matter of time.

I haven't seen Rothwell fight, but I'm still on the Arlovski bandwagon. He hasn't looked that good in his last several fights, but I think he gets inspired by his move to a new organization and outclasses Rothwell.

Barnett, Lindland, and Sobral win rather easily.

It sounds like from the Affliction website that the Fedor-Sylvia fight is up first.

As to UFC, I have Silva by TKO. Edgar is a great wrestler and Franca is a BJJ ace, and the fight is pick 'em. Vera gets back on the winning track. Anthony Johnson is supposed to be the next big thing, and scores another spectacular KO. Dollaway out-LNPs Taylor.

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I don't know how I feel about the Fedor/Sylvia fight. Is there any way for both guys to lose? It will be annoying to listen to the Fedor nuthuggers if he wins - "I told you man, Fedor is the friggen best guy ever to fight in MMA, dude can beat anyone. Yada yada yada." On the other hand, it will be annoying to listen to Sylvia if he wins and people are going to have to look at him wearing the WAMMA belt to the grocery store. The dude is just a huge tool.

I think Arlovski will beat Rothwell, Barnett will beat Rizzo, and Lindland and Babalu will come away with wins too.

As for the UFC event - I got my money on Silva, but I think Irvin definitely has a puncher's chance. I hope Vera loses. Also, WAR FRANKIE EDGAR!!!

9. Matt

Matt Senior member

I haven't seen Rothwell fight
    ohh...think you're too good for the IFL boyo? [​IMG]

10. Ambulance Chaser

ohh...think you're too good for the IFL boyo? [​IMG]
    I'm an MMA snob. I only watch Brazilians fight in PRIDE. Now that PRIDE is no longer here, I lower myself to watch UFC. [​IMG]

11. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm an MMA snob. I only watch Brazilians fight in PRIDE. Now that PRIDE is no longer here, I lower myself to watch UFC. [​IMG]

Where and when are you going to watch the fights this weekend?

12. Ambulance Chaser

Where and when are you going to watch the fights this weekend?
    I didn't know you were a fan, RJ. I have a real dilemma on my hands. My friend is hosting his annual Bastille Day party the same night. I still haven't decided whether I would rather drink red wine and eat French cheese or watch fights. If I go for the latter, I will probably go to Buffalo Billiards.

13. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

We need an official MMA thread.

Didn't know where else to put it:

Police: "Rampage" goes on one

Driver hits at least three cars during chase that begins on 55 freeway and ends with arrest on Balboa Peninsula.

By Joseph Serna
    Updated: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:07 PM PDT
    There are No comments posted. View Comments

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, former light heavyweight champion of the Ultimate Fighter Championships, was arrested on suspicion of felony evading, hit-and-run and reckless driving Tuesday after he allegedly led police on a pursuit from Costa Mesa to Newport Beach, police said.

Jackson, the driver of a lifted, gray pick-up truck left crashed cars, shredded tires and sparks in his wake this afternoon when he led police on a short pursuit from the southbound 55 freeway exit onto Newport Boulevard where he hit at least three cars, police said.

The driver hit two cars at 19th Street and Newport Boulevard, then drove away at about 1:13 p.m., Lt. Paul Dondero said. A Costa Mesa police officer saw the driver southbound approaching 17th Street and tried to pull him over, police said. There, he hit at least one more car before continuing to run, now heading south toward the Balboa Peninsula, Dondero said. Some time after that, the truck blew a tire but continued to drive on its rims, Dondero said.

Jackson eventually gave up, pulled over and was arrested, police said. The whole chase lasted about five minutes, Dondero said.

More details to come

Daily Pilot - Serving Newport Beach & Costa Mesa, California

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. somecallmebj

somecallmebj Senior member

^ Wow. Pretty smart to pull a chase in a big ass truck with your picture on it.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Holy shit, we're using the term "nuthuggers" here now? What is this, Sherdog?

16. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Holy shit, we're using the term "nuthuggers" here now? What is this, Sherdog?

We need to use it more on this forum. Like, "dude, stop being such a john lobb nuthugger, we all know Edward green is the shiznit." or "what's up with all the manton nuthuggers in this thread?"

17. kronik

kronik Senior member

I still haven't decided whether I would rather drink red wine and eat French cheese or watch fights.
    I had respect for you.. once. And the question is.. what the hell did Rampage have in the car? And I was looking forward to him regaining. Bah.

18. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

You ever watch The Ultimate Fighter tv show this past year? Quinton never seemed smart

20. Matt

Matt Senior member

We need an official MMA thread.
    I have thought about that actually, but we often have polls in them on who will win and how, and we couldn't keep updating the poll...so we go event by event. As for the rest of your post...ya ummm.......
    ^ Wow. Pretty smart to pull a chase in a big ass truck with your picture on it.
    ....what he said.