• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
just out of curiousity, what does it cost to train at urijatopia?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
just out of curiousity, what does it cost to train at urijatopia?

$149/month for unlimited classes. $5 extra per BJJ.

Tomorrow I'll start off with a conditioning class followed by my first boxing class I think.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
that strikes me as really expensive - esp as jits is extra - so you do 2 classes a week of BJJ, you are looking at ~200 a month, right?

Admittedly, I live on a different planet. Is that what things cost in the real world these daze?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
that strikes me as really expensive - esp as jits is extra - so you do 2 classes a week of BJJ, you are looking at ~200 a month, right?

Admittedly, I live on a different planet. Is that what things cost in the real world these daze?

The $5 extra was a joke to play off of yours.

Yeah, it is a bit expensive, but it is within walking distance of my place. The next nearest place will cost me $100 in gas a month. There is also a $200 initiation fee but Urijah cut that in half for me.

I guess you pay for top notch training.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I made a joke? OK. Yah, cool, enjoy it man. Let us know how it goes...was just chatting online to J about this (who cant understand why anyone would pay to hit and be hit) but personally, I love fight training. It is the only form of exercise that has ever been able to keep me interested, mostly because anytime I get lethargic, someone pops me in the jaw
smile.gif
Im a beginner in BJJ, just a few months, but just in a nice little learning curve phase at the moment where people are not tossing me around as easily as they used to. I'm enjoying it. Let us know how you get on, and feel free to ask any questions as you get started.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I made a joke? OK.

Yah, cool, enjoy it man. Let us know how it goes...was just chatting online to J about this (who cant understand why anyone would pay to hit and be hit) but personally, I love fight training. It is the only form of exercise that has ever been able to keep me interested, mostly because anytime I get lethargic, someone pops me in the jaw
smile.gif

Let us know how you get on, and feel free to ask any questions as you get started.

Sorry, you didn't make the joke, West24 did right before you.

I used to do TKD tournaments as a kid. I did alright at the smaller regional level but TKD isn't very practical. I do regret losing my flexibility. I used to be able to kick well above my head now I'll be lucky if I can kick above my waist.

I'm really excited about the whole submissions thing because I think it is the only way I'd be able to win a fight if I needed to against someone bigger than me. Plus there is the whole macho thing that sitting around with my egghead friends playing video games just doesn't accomplish.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Sorry, you didn't make the joke, West24 did right before you.

I used to do TKD tournaments as a kid. I did alright at the smaller regional level but TKD isn't very practical. I do regret losing my flexibility. I used to be able to kick well above my head now I'll be lucky if I can kick above my waist.

I'm really excited about the whole submissions thing because I think it is the only way I'd be able to win a fight if I needed to against someone bigger than me. Plus there is the whole macho thing that sitting around with my egghead friends playing video games just doesn't accomplish.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I did karate when I was a kid and used to go to all of the local and regional tournaments and did pretty well, but karate doesn't seem to be much more effective than tkd. I also used to be able to kick over my head, do the splits, etc., now I've just become fat and lazy, so that's why I decided to take up muay thai.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

You've been out of the States too long, Matt. My friend is trying to get me to join a BJJ gym that is $155/month for 3x week. I think $149/month for unlimited classes and the chance to learn from a champion is pretty reasonable.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its just cashing in on the wave of popularity and every guy wearing an affliction or tapout t shirt now wants to join a bjj gym. these guys wouldnt know **** about **** so random people start opening up MMA gyms with a pad on the ground and guys will drop cash to join it.
my boxing gym is located in a full access normal gym. i.e. weights etc, and being coached by former canadian oympic coach, russian olympic coach, etc. trained some big fighters, i think lennox lewis at one point, and its only 80 a month and its 4 times a week but bags are there n u can go pretty much ne time you want.
you can also use the gym ne time as it is part of the membership.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Affliction Banned MMA card is one of the best cards, on paper, that I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I think Affliction is blowing its wad and will go out of business after this event. It is paying Fedor $2 million and Sylvia $800K for their fight.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
damn Chris - a month+ before the show, and you are already starting the thread? How can I ever compete.

Agreed, awesome card. Agreed, financial viability questionable.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they are smart. The are pulling some great heavy weights. The company has deep pockets.
Fedor will draw the crowd. If he fight randy the PPV pull will be through the roof.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just saw the full card it's worth every penny!!!!

Fedor will walk through sylvia however

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Denimbar
I think they are smart. The are pulling some great heavy weights. The company has deep pockets.
Fedor will draw the crowd. If he fight randy the PPV pull will be through the roof.

I'm not sure how much of a crowd Fedor draws in the US outside of hardcore MMA fans. I don't think this will get as many PPV buys as even an average UFC card gets, in spite of the fact that this is a better card than most of the recent UFC cards.

Having said that, as a fan of MMA, I am looking forward to this card.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fedor is going to punish Tim Sylvia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads