• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could see a "gimme that arm, *****" thought bubble over her head through the whole fight. I don't get the whole "one trick pony" criticism. If the armbar works, it works. At this point I'm pretty sure she's looking to use it every time to keep the streak going, not because she has no other ideas.

But it is true, she has been doing it forever. That's why she's so damn good at it.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She also appears to be ridiculously strong. Given any kind of decent position, she can rip that thing out.

I have a working hypothesis that the female lack of upper body strength makes it harder for them to defend against the arm bar. Anyone involved in female bjj able to weigh in?

Lendo

Reaction score
Knowing she trains w Judo Gene & Gokor, I have heard stories that everyone's grappling at the gym is insane. Like Rogan always harps about, lifelong judoka and grapplers are ridiculously strong and she clearly trained more of an old school style of Judo as opposed to being ippon driven. Her control from kesa gatame was impressive and once she established the armbar position I didn't see there being any way she wouldn't take it.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured from her makura kesa gatame Ronda would transition into kata gatame. It was available a few times. But, she does have her takui waza, so she was looking for that the whole time.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ronda's ground game is garbage and I am not being a hater. She does have a good arm bar and her transition in good but not great. She needs to fight a good female BJJ black belt and my thoughts are if they go to the ground she's fucked. Ronda gives up way to much space.
Lendo can attest to that. Watch her videos and you will see space she gives up.
As far as grip strength it's true judoka players can develop unbreakable grips that's why certain grips are illegal in Judo tourneys.

hrb

Reaction score

Ronda's ground game is garbage and I am not being a hater. She does have a good arm bar and her transition in good but not great. She needs to fight a good female BJJ black belt and my thoughts are if they go to the ground she's fucked. Ronda gives up way to much space.
Lendo can attest to that. Watch her videos and you will see space she gives up.
As far as grip strength it's true judoka players can develop unbreakable grips that's why certain grips are illegal in Judo tourneys.

So who's the girl to beat her? there are a lot of holes in a lot of these girls games. I would like to see a five rounder with RR. Or a three.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So who's the girl to beat her? there are a lot of holes in a lot of these girls games. I would like to see a five rounder with RR. Or a three.

Cyborg. Although calling Cyborg a "girl" is very generous.

hrb

Reaction score
Cyborg, in my books, is a moot point as that wont happen anytime soon. (Though I agree with you). I wouldn't mind seeing her and Julia Budd go again or Coenen.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL with AC.

There is an amazing Black Belt that trains at 50/50 when she comes over from Brazil that could take Ronda. The problem is weight. A 135lb or 145lb girl is a big *****. I use to wrestle in high school at 119 and fought Muay Thai at 134.9. I just don't know many chicks like that. They are around for sure but at the girls world level they are few and far between. Not to mention they are all eating the horse headed candy. Not that that means anything. I believe anyone at the elite level is doing some kind of performance enhancer.
I really feel Cyborg is her best bet right now and that ***** not happening. They need to find someone from Brazil or Japan that comes from a Grappling background. These girls are good I am not knocking them they are just light years behind the guys. Ronda has been playing Judo her whole life so of course her grappling is better than the rest of her competition. It will be YEARS before anyone can catch up to her but when they do they will blow past her just like you see with the men's division.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought some UFC women are being "loaned" to invicta? If so, it`s just a matter of time til Cyborg finds her way back hopefully

hrb

Reaction score
you would think there are some sleeper beasts in Brazil. Maybe hold a TUF Women's Brazil and bring out the talent. Ratings not guaranteed. I would watch, though. Just saying.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ TUF is a male dominated audience. You pick the right girls and rating would shoot through the roof. Talented fighters or not.
Cyborg is the best option but she's just not a poster child like Ronda for womens MMA.
I know it's stupid but think G.I. Jane and how the picked Demi Moores character. Same thing applies her. Cyborg could possibly be growing a penis at this point. She's not easy on the eyes like R.R. or G.C.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in other news

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/23/1467749/lloyd-irvin-open-letter-****-charges-mma

This is beyond horrible. Even more allegations have come out saying Lloyd has sexually assaulted under age students of his as well as two of his top pillars wives and sister.
He needs to spend time behind bars.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the rumor is that he watched a gang **** in 1989 and did not participate only because he could not get it up. Thus no **** conviction or time behind bars.
Not sure if it is true or not and I know nothing about the guy. Still, where there is smoke there is fire...

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to teach Thai Boxing for Lloyd. I have known him for almost 20 years. He's done some really horrible things to people. He was part of the ****, period. He was totally down and said so himself. Everyone got convicted but him because of his " I couldn't get it up" line. That's bullshit. He was there he participated. He might not have slipped it in but he participated and that's enough. So much more has surfaced and will continue to surface.
He told me back in the late 90's he has a civil suit against him for assault. He made it sound like it whupped some dudes ass when in fact the civil suit was from the girl that was trained. The internet wasn't like it is now so I thought nothing of it. I knew when the Camp Spring's Gym opened he was getting a little kookie. That's when he wanted to be called Master . I bowed out when he wouldn't pay for his key fighters/instructors health insurance. Now Ryan Hall and others are coming forward. I spoke with Mike Fowler about some serious **** between his wife and Lloyd. That's part of the reason Fowler left the camp.When Rhadi posted he wanted nothing to do with Lloyd that's when I knew everything said was true because those two were tight. His agreement with Alliance is over. With out Mike Easton he has no access to the UFC anymore. Poor Mike Easton is stuck. This **** is FUCKED UP!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads