1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Confirmed. Dan Henderson injured during training, out of title fight. Chael Sonnen accepted UFC offer to replace Henderson. Jon Jones refused fight with Sonnen, will fight Lyoto Machida at 152 instead.

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I see people piling on Jones for not taking the Sonnen fight, but screw Dana. He wants Jones to take on an Olympic caliber wrestler with 8 days notice?? Nope, no thanks. And shame on Dana that one fight can turn this from a $50 PPV to something you wouldn't put on Fuel TV. If the rest of the card was worth something maybe it could have been salvaged somehow.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Wow, Dana is pissed. He's all but calling Jones a coward. I wouldn't take the fight if I was Jones either.

4. Ambulance Chaser

5. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Yeah, Dana gets that way sometimes. I remember when he was ultra pissed at Silva after the Maia fight. "I told someone else to put the belt on him, I didn't even want to be in the ring with him" he said. Look, Jones is the first UFC fighter to really get some kind of commercial recognition. Why he's trashing him is beyond me. Short term pain for long term gain by making a better fight. IMO.

Edit: and to Bisping, how did that turn out?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  6. Lendo

Lendo Senior member

Doesn't that describe Hendo as well?

7. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

When was the last time you saw Henderson attempt a takedown?

Edit: Also, Sonnen is getting praised for his "willingness" to go fight Jones with 8 days notice. Sure, for a big pay day I'd be willing to start the Redskins season opener as QB. I wouldn't do any good, but I'd be willing. All the fans saying Jones should step up and take the fight should ask themselves 1. Could Sonnen win this fight? IMO No. 2. Would you rather have an admitted $0 PPV card saved by a fight that probably wouldn't last 2 rounds.

8. Lendo

Lendo Senior member

Good point on both of those things, i was playing devil's advocate more than anything. If possible on such short notice, the could just switch it over to FOX or something like that.

9. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

People are saying that Dana knew for a couple of weeks that Henderson was hurt and that's why the Sonnen Jones beef got started, to gauge interest in a possible fight. Rankings be damned in the UFC I guess. Jones didn't let this card get scrapped, Dana did. Besides, I like having 2 championship fights on the next card, and to be quite honest a good deal of UFC 152 wasn't looking to impressive either.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Sonnen has a very small chance to win this fight, but still a chance. If he truly had no chance, Jones would take the fight in a second. The risk of losing to a guy Anderson schooled last month is just too great.

11. Ambulance Chaser

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

LOL. Not sure if Sonnen is a genius or a lunatic.

12. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

You're right, Sonnen would have a chance, I don't think he'd get it done though. The thing that erks me about this situation is that Dana is trying to lay the loss of this card solely on Jones. It isn't Jones' job to make a good card. Its Dana's, and if he fails at all of his attempts at a plan B that isn't Jones' fault either, its Dana's. White's attempts to save this card should be an insult to fans. What I want to see are good fights, and no matter what 8 days notice I don't believe would produce a good fight.

Edit: "Just do....nothing" Burn Sonnen :rolleyes:

13. the_drizzle

the_drizzle Senior member

Sonnen is currently the best troll in MMA. Always amusing.

Not sure about his comment saying he was the highest paid fighter though...

14. Ambulance Chaser

I agree. UFC PPVs are getting too diluted. Without the main event, UFC 151 is one of the worst PPVs I can remember.

Machida turned down the Jones fight. Now Jones is fighting Belfort. WTF?

15. the_drizzle

After how badly Machida lost last time, I don't fault him for wanting more time to train. But Belfort? The fuck.

16. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

So far that's 3 MW and 0 LHW who have accpeted a challenge. IDK, why not get one of the LHW from over at SF who are just sitting on their hands over there. Dana should be ashamed of himself.

Edit: Someone on Junkie had a really good idea. Let's make Sonnen vs. Weidmann the main event. Since both guys are willing to fight on 8 days notice. Not a bad idea I thought.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  17. the_drizzle

It's a shame really but it's hard to fault people when so much is on the line.

18. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

For someone who has stressed that he doesn`t back down EVER against ANY opponent, Bones sure is doing just that.

Also I understand where Machida is coming from. He took their last fight on late notice and no full training camp in and we all know what went down.

I do understand where Jones` side as well. this aint the old days of when people do a week of training camp.

But cmon, you`re practically being fed a likely out of shape MW in chael. I don`t care what conspirators are saying whether Chael has known Hendo have been injured and has been aiming to fill. Jones is the champ, Dana is the boss, take the fight.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  19. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

...and if its a shitty fight do you still think its a good idea? Because that's what I would plunk down $50 bucks for, to see Jones work and out of shape opponent.

20. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

Better than no event at all. I pay to watch ANY intriguing fights. Thing is, had Jones accepted the fight, this whole argument would be invalid. Jones gets Chael while Hendo is shelved; Other UFC 151 fighters are happy to get paid win or lose (not everyone got a Nike/UFC sponsorship); MMA fans get to see Jones tool Sonnen; The whole MMA community wouldn`t be divided in the issue.

Jones would be hailed as not to backing down against any game opponent.