Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Father time has not been kind [​IMG] Looks like Nog is finished... but Cain is getting better and better. Could be an exciting future for that kid.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Father time has not been kind [​IMG] Looks like Nog is finished... but Cain is getting better and better. Could be an exciting future for that kid.

I was really impressed with how much his standup has improved. A lot of powerful heavyweights stay stiff their entire careers, and they rely for years on the power punch alone, but Cain showed that he has really been taking his kickboxing seriously, and showed some sound technique. I can see him being a real title threat in that division after last night. I feel bad for Big Nog though. You gotta love that man.

3. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Australians: Truly a master race.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Australians: Truly a master race.

Well, Greek Australians, anyway. I was impressed by George Sotiropolous. He looked terrible on The Ultimate Fighter (which seems to show every fighter at their absolute worst), but he has been looking good in his regular UFC fights, and this last time around, against A-level competition, he really showed what he could do. I knew that he was training in 10th Planet, but I didn't know how seriously he was applying Eddie Bravo's techniques. He really showed how powerful the rubber guard can be - he was constantly threatening. And he had decent head movement and anticipation in his striking as well - something Big Nog could have taken some pointers on...

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Well, Greek Australians, anyway.

He's from Melbourne (basically), theyre all Greek there.

what are you talking about?

He was awesome on TUF, a semifinalist who finished both of his opponents along the way, was never taken into a second round, and lost only to Tommy Speer in a fight that he was winning until he got poked in the eye and made a rookie tough guy mistake of not taking his recovery time, at which point the fight turned and he lost. Up until then, he had looked great. IIRC correctly, he fought in the finale show, and again, first round victory.

Don't argue Australians with me boy, we never forget our own [​IMG]

6. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    that was a solid card. I want to see Cain fight carwin

7. Matt

Matt [email protected]

ya agree....some good fights with some evenly matched and stylistically well-suited opponents. I enjoyed it.

8. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

That was definitely one of the best cards in a while, even most of the preliminary fights were good. I was surprised at how good the Australian crowd was, they seemed to be really fired up for the fights. Also loved that they chanted "Bisping is a wanker" when the Wanderlai fight started. I was shocked that Cain knocked out Nog like that. If Dos Santos beats Gonzaga, then the ensuing battle of Velasquez vs Dos Santos would have the potential to be one of the best heavyweight fights in years. I was impressed by Bader's knockout strength again, I think if he can improve his cardio and his footwork (he moves kinda sluggishly) he could be a serious contender at 205. The next month or so is going to be sick with UFC 111 and the free UFC card on versus with Gonzaga vs Dos Santos and Jones vs Vera.

9. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

That was definitely one of the best cards in a while, even most of the preliminary fights were good. I was pleasantly surprised at how good and receptive the Australian crowd was, they seemed to be really fired up for the fights. It was refreshing to not have to hear the crowd booing during grappling matches for a change.. Also loved that they chanted "Bisping is a wanker" when the Wanderlai fight started. I was shocked that Cain knocked out Nog like that. If Dos Santos beats Gonzaga, then the ensuing battle of Velasquez vs Dos Santos would have the potential to be one of the best heavyweight fights in years. I was impressed by Bader's knockout strength again, I think if he can improve his cardio and his footwork (he moves kinda sluggishly) he could be a serious contender at 205. The next month or so is going to be sick with UFC 111 and the free UFC card on versus with Gonzaga vs Dos Santos and Jones vs Vera.

10. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I loved that they booed Bisping but cheered him when he gave a classy post fight interview. Nice show of respect mixed with derision.

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

well he's British. We'll always be nice to poms when they are losing. Which generally means we will always be nice to poms.

12. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. [​IMG]

13. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Watching two men with panties on sweating, wrestling with nuts in dey face is what Conne calls "Thursday".

14. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

well he's British. We'll always be nice to poms when they are losing. Which generally means we will always be nice to poms.

[​IMG]

15. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member