The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Weird turn of events.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Weird turn of events.
    Maybe all the HGH is finally catching up with him.

3. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

last night was the first time i witnessed a UFC event. that randy cooter match was boring. not bad for a 46 year old dude, though, i guess

4. Lendo

Lendo Senior member

not a great fight, that's for sure. randy still totally overpowered vera with his wrestling.
    i hate to say this as i'm a big of his, but randy needs to think about retiring. he seems like he's getting more prone to getting his bell rung.

5. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Bullshit. Brandon Vera won that.

+1

last night was the first time i witnessed a UFC event. that randy cooter match was boring. not bad for a 46 year old dude, though, i guess

+1

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Thought this needed to be posted: [​IMG]

7. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

not a great fight, that's for sure. randy still totally overpowered vera with his wrestling.
    i hate to say this as i'm a big of his, but randy needs to think about retiring. he seems like he's getting more prone to getting his bell rung.

Yeah, there was no way anyone would have paid to see that card. Although some of the prelim fights were short and action packed.

Doesn't Randy still have 3 fights to do under his current contract?

8. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Three more fights? Wow. I admire him a lot, and I've enjoyed his fights immensely, but he really does need to think about a change in status.

9. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

Yeah, there was no way anyone would have paid to see that card. Although some of the prelim fights were short and action packed.

Doesn't Randy still have 3 fights to do under his current contract?

I watched a video of someone interviewing him about who he'd like to fight. He said Lesnar again, Anderson Silva, and Lyoto Machida would all be something he'd consider.. holy shit, Captain America has balls the size of mountains. [​IMG] He would have said GSP too but he cant cut that much weight and be viable lol..

I'm a huge Randy Couture fan, his first fight with Tito Ortiz was great.

10. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

Thought this needed to be posted:
    [​IMG]

...this is awesome!

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

I watched a video of someone interviewing him about who he'd like to fight. He said Lesnar again, Anderson Silva, and Lyoto Machida would all be something he'd consider.. holy shit, Captain America has balls the size of mountains. [​IMG] He would have said GSP too but he cant cut that much weight and be viable lol..

I'm a huge Randy Couture fan, his first fight with Tito Ortiz was great.

+1 to everything. You gotta love anyone who would spank Tito Ortiz in the middle of a fight, but Randy really should retire before he gets hurt.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Every UFC champion other than B.J. Penn has some sort of injury. Looks like we're headed for a bunch of thin cards after UFC 107 (Penn-Sanchez).

I'm looking forward to Brown-Aldo this Wednesday night. Aldo is a very exciting fighter, but Brown is going to grind out a decision.

13. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

Three more fights? Wow. I admire him a lot, and I've enjoyed his fights immensely, but he really does need to think about a change in status.
    Yeah he just signed a new contract too, I believe it was a 4-fight deal that he signed after his recent fight with Big Nog. Shit I just hope his next fights are more exciting, watching him clenching someone up against the fence for ten minutes gets boring fast, and I hardly ever get bored watching mma fights!
    One thing I got from UFC 105 is that some of the british guys looked really good, Dan Hardy killed Mike Swick, Ross Pearson the bricklayer looks like a beast, and that Andre Winner dude easily had the knockout of the night. However, I am very very happy that Matt Brown beat out James Wilks, as Wilks always seemed like kind of a douche to me. Its crazy how big the mma shit is getting in England.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Every UFC champion other than B.J. Penn has some sort of injury. Looks like we're headed for a bunch of thin cards after UFC 107 (Penn-Sanchez). I'm looking forward to Brown-Aldo this Wednesday night. Aldo is a very exciting fighter, but Brown is going to grind out a decision.
    That card (107) should be fun though. I wonder if pure insanity (Sanchez) can defeat technique and natural talent. P.S. I still rate Sanchez vs. Guida as one of the most awesome fights in UFC history. Way more exciting than Griffin vs. Bonnar, if only because both fighters showed not just heart, but solid technique.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yeah he just signed a new contract too, I believe it was a 4-fight deal that he signed after his recent fight with Big Nog. Shit I just hope his next fights are more exciting, watching him clenching someone up against the fence for ten minutes gets boring fast, and I hardly ever get bored watching mma fights!

One thing I got from UFC 105 is that some of the british guys looked really good, Dan Hardy killed Mike Swick, Ross Pearson the bricklayer looks like a beast, and that Andre Winner dude easily had the knockout of the night. However, I am very very happy that Matt Brown beat out James Wilks, as Wilks always seemed like kind of a douche to me. Its crazy how big the mma shit is getting in England.

imo, aggressiveness should be measured primarily by whether the judges think that the fighter is going for the finish. I'm not saying that fighters should just go out and bang mindlessly, but certainly, they should be fighters should be given a punitive ding for essentially fighting for a stalemate, which Randy appeared to be doing. He never threaten any real damage to Vera at any point in the fight. By the third, it was pretty obvious that he 1) Wasn't inflicting that much damage, and 2) Wasn't going to take down Vera for any decisive GnP. I think that the fight was scored fairly given the guidelines, but this fight highlighted some of the problems with those.