The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I don't have any problem with Mr.Slice himself, I just don't like the way that the UFC is using him for hype. Dana White always has different efforts with beefing up the records of TUF fighters, Kimbo is a very well known name and I think they are using him to pull in new viewers, and honestly I think the UFC wants him to lose to someone else on the show, as it will hype up the other fighters in the house. In my mind this is similar to how the just UFC took back Frank Trigg(upcoming fight against Josh Koshcheck) and Phil Barroni(upcoming fight against Amir Sadollah) to set them up against previous TUF fighters, as they are relatively well known names who competed in other leagues, that will look good in the win column of any TUF alumni. Also half the fun of the TUF shows for me is getting to see the up and coming talent of that division, Slice just feels a bit too gimmicky for me.

Let's not forget that the UFC, just like the WBA, IBF, etc, is a promotional organization, first and foremost. That's what they do. Despite what so many of us would love, this is not a "pure" sport, in that there is no bracketed or criterion-driven means of selection. The same applies to TUF. I don't mind the way they're doing it because they're not hyping him as being great or a leader, just an "internet phenom" or "internet sensation" (or whatever it was), which is true. They'll hook interested viewers in, and Slice will get beaten early...all the while, we'll see the new talent.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yeah I thought as much. I meant a super-intensive crash courseâ„¢ with the UFC staff.

I saw his other fight; Ray Mercer, Tank Abbott, James Thompson. All similarly hopeless, it seems.

What's the heavyweight division in the UFC like at the moment? I heard pretty poor. Who's Brock fighting next?

First of all, Seth Petruzelli may not be the most skilled, strongest, etc... MMA fighter in the world, but he has solid credentials. Pretty much anyone who has fought in the UFC is a tough dude. It really does have the deepest pools of talent. Typically, when you see someone appear on the UFC for the first time, they already have a very impressive amateur record and typically, a decent pro record. For example, Mike Dolce, who did not advance far in the Team Rampage vs Team Forrest season, had something like 23 consecutive KOs in amateur tournaments prior to going pro.

The sport has really progressed since the days of Royce Gracie and Dan Severen. Much respect to them, but indications are that neither would fare well in the current world of MMA, as evident in Ken's Shamrock's pummeling by Tito Ortiz and Rick Franklin, Royce Gracie's ineffectiveness against Matt ("The Douche") Hughes, and Tank Abbott's (continuing?) penchant for getting knocked out and submitted in near record times. And the players in the sport continue to do better as fighters are increasingly more athletic, technically stronger, and better trained.

The guys that Kimbo beat up were not modern MMA fighters. They were brawlers. Their skills are stuck at about UFC 5 (I think that's when Tank Abbott started.) I don't doubt that Kimbo may have torn through some early UFC competition, but it's unclear he has what it takes to do well in the modern MMA world. It's like Luke Walton. You get the impression that he has the skills to have been a good NBA player, had he played when his father did. But in the modern NBA, he is a rather ineffective bench player.

3. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

Yeah I thought as much. I meant a super-intensive crash courseâ„¢ with the UFC staff.

I saw his other fight; Ray Mercer, Tank Abbott, James Thompson. All similarly hopeless, it seems.

What's the heavyweight division in the UFC like at the moment? I heard pretty poor. Who's Brock fighting next?

UFC heavyweight division is actually pretty deep with talent at the moment, though not quite as much as the 205lb light heavyweight division that is absolutely stacked at the moment. Brock Lesnar is fighting Shane Carwin at UFC 106 I believe for his first official title defense. Other heavyweight notables include Gabriel Gonzaga, Nog, Couture, Frank Mir, etc. Rumor has that Anderson Silva is going to try to move all the way up to heavyweight to fight Frank Mir (unless Mir bumps down or they fight at a catchweight of sorts).

I read a very interesting interview with legendary fighter/trainer Bas Rutten, who was for a time Kimbo Slice's trainer (with whom he had a falling out with a while back), and according to him Kimbo was very resistant to do any kind of real MMA work and was content on just training his boxing skills. This was apparently reinforced by the Elite XC when Slice was signed to them, to the point that they were padding his fights and encouraging his opponents to keep it standing (they were eventually investigated for this, and cleared after fighters changed their testimony). My point being is that Kimbo Slice really isn't good at all, but it is really amazing how the general public believes him to be of enormous strength and possible talent, mainly as a result of hype.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

when is this on on the east coast? what day? time?

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Tomorrow night. On Spike, I think. Dunno what time it premieres over there, but I'd assume it was the same as here, 10pm.

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

your friend seems like a good dude.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

your friend seems like a good dude.

I think he says "You Know" too much when he's being interviewed. It's a nervous habit and I'm going to bring it up to him tomorrow.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^pretty common nervous thing when public speaking.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

^pretty common nervous thing when public speaking.

Yeah, but being aware that there's a problem is the first step in correcting it. He'll get better at the whole "being famous" thing.

11. track309

track309 Senior member

I think he says "You Know" too much when he's being interviewed. It's a nervous habit and I'm going to bring it up to him tomorrow.

Atleast it's not as bad as this guy......got to feel for the guy

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

-On a side note, I am very excited about tomorrow night's fight night in addition to the TUF premier. I think Roger Huerta is going to come back in style and tear through Gray Maynard. Should be an exciting fight night overall.
    The card is pretty good for free MMA, but Diaz-Guillard as the main event? WTF? I'm pretty sure that Maynard is going to dry hump Huerta for 15 minutes.
    10 PM tonight, right after UFC Fight Night.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

The card is pretty good for free MMA, but Diaz-Guillard as the main event? WTF? I'm pretty sure that Maynard is going to dry hump Huerta for 15 minutes.

Nice. For some reason I haven't looked forward to a TUF season ina while. Will watch with a pint of vodka orange juice.

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

My point being is that Kimbo Slice really isn't good at all, but it is really amazing how the general public believes him to be of enormous strength and possible talent, mainly as a result of hype.

And the fact that he is built/looks like a monster. While resembling chiseled granite has nothing to do with fighting ability, much of the general public equate these two things.

I mean, people think I can actually kick some ass.

15. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

It is a very sweet card! The only reason Diaz-Guillard is headlining is because Diaz is an ultimate fighter winner (he only won the season finale between him and Manny Gamburyan because Manny dislocated his arm and the fight was stopped). I can guarantee that Diaz is going to get knocked the fuck out by Guillard, Guillard is a beast in the stand up game most of the time, should be handing Diaz his third straight loss. I will be astonished if Huerta doesn't knock out Maynard, or submit him.
    The fight between past Ultimate Fighter contestants Tim Credeur and Nate Quarry should provide a really good fight, Credeur has some really sick BJJ, if Quarry doesn't knock him out I think Credeur will sub him in the 3rd. Also Steve Cantwell vs Brian Stann on the undercard, who fought eachother for the WEC middleweight title twice before the division was liquidated (I'm calling Cantwell for this one). Brock Larson is also on the undercard, should be a quick knockout by him. With the TUF premier as well, Spike isn't kidding when they say that tonight is going to be the "Biggest Free UFC night of the year!"