The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Do you find that emotional resilience is trainable and can be developed, or do you think people have what they have and can't voluntarily move the needle much in either direction?

I think that some people come in with more or less of it. IME, it can be developed, but just like any mental and physical traits, you have just so much raw material to work with. Some people are born with great intelligence, or the ability to grow to 6'6" and 250 lbs of lean muscle, and some people are naturally tougher. As with most things, it's half nature, and half nurture, so unless you start with a toddler, a lot of that development is done by the time you get them at 16, or 18, or 20 (or older). If someone's been told that their shit smells like roses, it's pretty hard for them to accept that it actually smells as bad as anyone elses. On the other hand, if outwardly tough kids are pretty sensitive, and crack hard, especially if they've developed that facade of toughness to mask other insecurities. I think that developing confidence hand-in-hand with humility has got to be one of the toughest tasks for any parent.

2. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

Do you find that emotional resilience is trainable and can be developed, or do you think people have what they have and can't voluntarily move the needle much in either direction?

Of course it's trainable. This emotional resiliance you're talking about is just another manifestation of self-control/discipline and that's a huge part of training in any sport, combat or otherwise. I think it's harder for the natural athlethes to develop this, since they haven't really had to work as hard, and when they do come up against a challenge greater than their natural ability it either breaks them or inspires them. Arrogance and self-awareness seldom go hand in hand, but if you can remove your ego from the equation there is a lot to be learned from those moments of crushing frustration, and it really is all about your attitude.

3. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    +1

4. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

Look at the bottom of Kenny's shorts....lol
    [​IMG]

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

He peed himself?

Wow...I never saw that. And only in the first half of the third!

8. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

Well there was already a wet spot there so I wonder if he pissed at all before this gif.

9. r...

r... Senior member

Florian daint piss hiself.

Now that Tito is back the idea of a Tito v. Silva fight seems interesting to me.

10. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    ^^ which silva are you speaking about.
    Anderson will walk through tito faster than forrest. Wandy and Tito are both done. I don't see Tito being more than a gate keeper.

11. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Tito didn't like not getting knocked around?

12. r...

r... Senior member

I was thinking of Anderson, there would be big money in that fight. Plus the outcome would be hilarious. I figure they give Tito some soup cans to make him bankable but I honestly dont see him working the LHW ladder very far.

I want to see AS fight opponents who want to wrestle and stifle the clinch.

13. LA Guy

Did you not see Anderson Silva fight Hendo, one of the best wrestlers and arguably the toughest SOB in the UFC? Tito, because of age and injury, doesn't have the explosive power he did back at his peak. He isn't particularly resilient (a knee from Machida folded him - imagine what an AS knee is going to do) nor does he have particularly capable standup (see fights with Liddell). And he is not a huge 205'er either. He would get murdered by Anderson Silva.

14. LA Guy

He did great against Nate Marquart *and* Dan Henderson, and he has noticeably improved since then. Actually, I want whatever he and Machida are drinking. They were good fighters who became great fighters who then took things to a whole other level. Given their well documented friendship, I wonder if they haven't been teaching one another enough of one another's art to knock dudes (AS) out without ever getting touched (Machida).

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I suspect that Tito was brought back to participate in the Chuck Liddell farewell tour. I would laugh and laugh if that fight was set up and Tito beat Chuck.