1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official MMA thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, May 30, 2008.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

get it while it lasts

[there was a youtube link to fedor fight here before]

edit....well, it didnt last long!

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Anderson Silva: Unstoppable.

Simply amazing.

3. West24

West24 Senior member

andersons apponent was a straight bitch. i hate when these guys do that. yes im sure the punch hurt, but he wasnt out and just crawled up waiting to get punched. atleast move around stay on the ground and try to get your composure back. he took the easy way out. i hate when these guys do that, 0 heart.

4. teddieriley

andersons apponent was a straight bitch. i hate when these guys do that. yes im sure the punch hurt, but he wasnt out and just crawled up waiting to get punched. atleast move around stay on the ground and try to get your composure back. he took the easy way out. i hate when these guys do that, 0 heart.
    i don't care who you are, if you take a straight, clean shot from Silva when you are on one leg, curling up and praying for the fight to get stopped is all you could (and probably should) do, assuming you had the mental faculty to even make a rational thought (irvin was obviously in survival mode). You're not giving either fighter enough credit. And if Irvin is a bitch, I wonder what that makes you? Respect.

5. West24

West24 Senior member

you have the one chance, youre a scrub and you get put in there with anderson silva, you do anything it takes to win. he wasnt out, yes it hurt, but did you see what sylvia did when on the ground? atleast he tried to stay in it, thats what anyone with heart does. he CLEARLY wasnt out and looked for the easy way out. anderson didnt even start hitting irvin yet and he had his hands on his head waiting for him to come punch him and the ref to stop it! he didnt even look to see what was going on! if he had heart he would have tried to stick it out, just like any other real fighter does.

6. merkur

merkur Senior member

7. teddieriley

you have the one chance, youre a scrub and you get put in there with anderson silva, you do anything it takes to win. he wasnt out, yes it hurt, but did you see what sylvia did when on the ground? atleast he tried to stay in it, thats what anyone with heart does. he CLEARLY wasnt out and looked for the easy way out. anderson didnt even start hitting irvin yet and he had his hands on his head waiting for him to come punch him and the ref to stop it! he didnt even look to see what was going on! if he had heart he would have tried to stick it out, just like any other real fighter does.

wow, you just don't get how devastating silva's hit was, do you? It's not a binary proposition, that if you're still technically conscious you can actually fight back. Irvin was so rocked, I don't think he sat there and thought, maybe I should cover up - that was an automatic instinct, and within less than a second he was getting barraged by pinpoint accurate punches to his head. You wanted him to "look to see what was going on"? You're probably more clueless than Irvin was immediately after the fight.

8. West24

West24 Senior member

have you never watched a fight before? that happens to tons of guys, and in worse fashion. they go on the ground and grab the opponent and atleast try to get themselves back. but those guys have heart.

9. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Predictable results from both fights. I was glad to see Fedor still has it, though. I really hope the Couture-Fedor fight doesn't come to pass. Randy is just too old to hang with the fury Fedor brings. I have no idea who could step up to beat either Fedor or Silva...

10. Eason

Eason Senior member

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Makes me miss Pride in its glory days.

Looks like Fedor is still the shit.

12. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

What would happen if Silva fought Fedor?

Anyway I liked how Silva just grabbed Irvin's kick and then popped him in the face... the commentator was like, "[Irvin's] eye is bleeding like a faucet!"

13. teddieriley

I have no clue why there was any doubt that Fedor would win.

Silvia? People give him too much credit. Most lackluster heavyweight I've ever watched fight.

14. Brad

Brad Senior member

What would happen if Silva fought Fedor?

They seem to be the two best, regardless of weight.

15. amerikajinda

They seem to be the two best, regardless of weight.
    Yeah, and I know Fedor is heavier, but does that mean he'd have the advantage? I think that would be an interesting fight... I loved the somber music that Fedor had playing when he walked out to the ring... very ominous... foreboding.

16. Brad

Brad Senior member

Yeah, and I know Fedor is heavier, but does that mean he'd have the advantage? I think that would be an interesting fight...

I loved the somber music that Fedor had playing when he walked out to the ring... very ominous... foreboding.

I don't think that the weight difference would give Fedor an advantage. They're both bad as hell. I couldn't think of a better fight between two seriously scary dudes.

17. amerikajinda

18. Eason

Eason Senior member

Yeah, and I know Fedor is heavier, but does that mean he'd have the advantage? I think that would be an interesting fight...

I loved the somber music that Fedor had playing when he walked out to the ring... very ominous... foreboding.

Weight = advantage, yes.

19. Matt

Matt Senior member

~3 yrs of ring rust vs someone whos last half dozen fights were all against legitimate top dudes = teh doubtz
    Fedor by armbar. Timmy has a good chin, but he can be put on his ass. See his fights with Arlovski and Couture. Fedor's boxing is better than people give him credit for. I think Fedor gets inside, maybe not right away, and knocks Sylvia down. From there, it's just a matter of time.
    kudos to Chris on this call...faster than anyone predicted, but this is pretty much exactly what happened, only variance was in the sambo finishing - choke rather than armbar - but still, pretty much nailed it with this post.

20. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Silvia? People give him too much credit. Most lackluster heavyweight I've ever watched fight.

He may be lackluster skill-wise but he has the distinct ability to outlast fucking everything, mostly because of his monstrous size.

I think Silva and Fedor are arguably the best fighters in the world right now, but Fedor would probably run him over. Silva is one hell of a striker, but anyone who comes at Fedor throwing their fists around gets put on their ass. He has a method of slipping into a dominant position, even against some of the world's top talent like CroCop, when he was at the top of his game.

Jinda, you mentioning the UFC commentators that reminded me how much I absolutely hate Goldberg and Rogan. Everything about the UFC's presentation is so pre-fab and pointlessly meat head enthusiastic. If I could make a list of all the reasons I think MMA has yet to become a respected sport, I'd put the UFC announcers near the top of that list. If they started speaking in more strategic terms instead of "WOW! Look at that EXPLOSIVE POWER!!! YAAAAAAARGHHHH" I'd be much more confident in it as a legitimate sport.