The Official Merciless Clothes Culling™ Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by F. Corbera, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Agreed. All ties over 3.5" are gone.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Much of my culling involves me trying something out of my comfort zone, deciding that I'd rather be in my comfort zone, then returning to my comfort zone. Turns out I don't need so much variety after all.

I used to worry that I was missing out, but I've come to better appreciate the virtues of the comfortable and the familiar.

3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Over the years I always seemed to have a problem finding basics like jeans, chinos, polo shirts, or even socks that I really liked in terms of fit, quality, and price. Over the last year or so, with many thanks to StyleForum, I've been able to dial in on what I really like and once I do, I get rid of all the old stuff that has been sitting in my closet. For instance, last year I finally got a couple pair of Bill's Khakis chinos (M2) and now have gotten rid of all the old, ill-fitting or just lesser quality chino pants in my closet.

I also seem to get more satisfaction from throwing old items away or donating them to charity and gaining the additional closet space than I do from acquiring new items.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I have begun to make my wardrobe options a lot less casual. Having graduated from college only a little over a year ago, the vast majority of my closet was stocked with polo shirts, sport shirts, button downs, ratty chinos and jeans. I also went through a period in early college/late high school in which I thought I was a size bigger than I actually was. As luck would have it this was also when I purchased a good deal of expensive things.

So I've began selling off all the over-sized casual shirts, shoes and sport coats. The more well-worn items will be donated directly. However, since I am still fresh out of school and not exactly a big timer, anything of value that is in good condition will be arriving on eBay in the coming weeks and months. I probably have 25-50 items that I need to list.

Also, to Doc's point, there is something very comforting about having an entire wardrobe within your comfort zone. My goal is to downsize my wardrobe by 50-75% but make everything in it fit well and be versatile. Thus making 100% of the items I do have wearable.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

This is nothing, I'll soon be burning F Corbera's house so he can start anew without all that excess baggage.

More seriously I wanna get rid of a lot of things but I'm too lazy. I hate big wardrobes, they suck.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Culling is not usually an event for me, but more of a perpetual process.

--

I felt much the same at one time.

I feel much the same now ... with only an occasional venture out on a limb.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  8. RSS

RSS Senior member

The shoes on your feet if fuuma gets to your house.

one pair of shoes,
    one pair of socks
    one belt
    one pair of undershorts
    one undershirt
    one shirt
    one tie
    one suit (or one coat & one pair of odd trousers)
    one overcoat

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I cull and edit regularly. Long gone are the days when I accumulated clothes and specially accessories for the sake of having more. Instead I keep what I think are the more enjoyable, better fitting and coordinating items.

There have been some things that have remained for sentimental reasons or maybe a bit out of habit. But even those are eventually sent off to the local charity thrift shop. They've included quite a few pairs of LVC denim. They had been washed enough and/or had a fuller cut so I had to admit that they were falling into the category of the dreaded "Dad Jeans" so off they went. I also sent along some of my favorite Barbera jackets and pants. I loved them, but the fit was unfortunately dated.

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

It is true that one needs only one suit at the end.

11. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Just when I start to collect ties over 5" things change....

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

I'm not quite there yet.

Back in the 90s a friend in Los Angeles died and left me executor of his family's estate. I made 'the arrangements' using Pierce Brothers. Part of said arrangements involved sending over the attire in which he was to be burried. PB called to let me know that I'd forgotten his undergarments. I suppose everyone needs a bit of humor at such a moment, but the gentleman at PB didn't find it humorous.

13. Fuuma

He should make sure he has a place to stay by packing a cardboard box on his bicycle.

14. Fuuma

The oneshoe strategy is for shopping addicts who don't wangt to be noticed; Foo doesn't actually have one pair of shoes but like 20 times the same pair.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG]