• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The official LVC thread***

noobanker

Reaction score
54Z fit question:

My size is 30-31" waist and 30" inseam. I have big thighs from workout. The dry 31x34 54Z feels snug around my thighs. The 32x34 54Z feels more comfortable throughout but with a waist gap. Should I go TTS (31x34) or go up 1 size (32x34)? Is 34" inseam too long to shrink down to 30-32" inseam?

Thanks.

Did you find out the answer?
I have a 1954 501z and it's a bit tight on my thighs too (also work out) and a little loose on the waist

noobanker

Reaction score
I bought a 33 in my 1954 STF 501z with a natural waist size of 34. I wore them in the tub and they got considerably tighter but eventually stretched back out to about a size 34. Kinda confusing but thought I'd add my 2 cents

Did they stretch out or shrink on the thighs?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much a dead thread, but I’m fine writing to ghosts.

stoked on these 1947’s. I’m fairly hard on my clothing and have been doing a lot of laborious activities outside during these strange times, so it will be interesting to see the results in a few months to a year.
For reference I typically wear a 30 across the board. Got a 30 in these and pre-soak they were tight. Post soak, uncomfortable. A few days of discomfort and they are perfect. This got the the trimmer side of 501 silhouettes and I’m pleased. Kinda done with skinny jeans lately. Not sworn off, just vibing something different. View attachment 1457240 View attachment 1457241 View attachment 1457242

for a rock star fit this is the way !

stf as tts or nearly and then break those sumbitches

looking good !

emacs

Reaction score
I just got a new pair of 1954 501z's.
They're a bit loose on the waist but snug on the thighs. I don't think I could fit into them if they shrank on the thighs.

Any recs? Do these shrink at all on the thighs? Do they "stretch" out?

I have a pair of light wash 1954 501Z XXs. They shrink minimally after a wash but stretch right back out to their original size. Not sure how the raw version would fare, but if you've got a washed version that fits out of the box I wouldn't be too concerned about shrinkage.

noobanker

Reaction score
I have a pair of light wash 1954 501Z XXs. They shrink minimally after a wash but stretch right back out to their original size. Not sure how the raw version would fare, but if you've got a washed version that fits out of the box I wouldn't be too concerned about shrinkage.

Do you know if they are raw or washed?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, LVC no longer makes one washed models of the '33, '44, '47, '54 or jackets for the US market. That took all of the guessing out of post-wash fits. You might want to check out Sugar Cane. They are releasing a '54zxx soon in a one wash IIRC. A '66 version in a one wash is currently available at Selfedge. I have the one wash Type 2 jacket. It is better than the LVC IMO and I own a lot of LVC.

noobanker

Reaction score
Unfortunately, LVC no longer makes one washed models of the '33, '44, '47, '54 or jackets for the US market. That took all of the guessing out of post-wash fits. You might want to check out Sugar Cane. They are releasing a '54zxx soon in a one wash IIRC. A '66 version in a one wash is currently available at Selfedge. I have the one wash Type 2 jacket. It is better than the LVC IMO and I own a lot of LVC.

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this so bear with my ignorance. So just to clarify, LVC 54 501zxx jeans that I have (dark selvedge denim) come pre-washed, so I should not expect significant shrinkage from here?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm kind of new to this so bear with my ignorance. So just to clarify, LVC 54 501zxx jeans that I have (dark selvedge denim) come pre-washed, so I should not expect significant shrinkage from here?

If they are the pre-washed and you wash on cold and hang to dry, they may only shrink 1/4" - 1/2" in length over several washes and not in the waist. It might feel a bit more snug, after the wash, but it will stretch back very quickly.

noobanker

Reaction score
If they are the pre-washed and you wash on cold and hang to dry, they may only shrink 1/4" - 1/2" in length over several washes and not in the waist. It might feel a bit more snug, after the wash, but it will stretch back very quickly.

How can I tell if they are pre-washed or not?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
raw denim is starchy and the yarn hasn't bled.

in hand you can look at the reverse the weft yarn will be very clean, rinsed will wash indigo into the weft it will be tinted.

noobanker

Reaction score
333.jpeg

How is this?
Are these single wash?
I have no idea what any of those terms you used means.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those are rinsed.

denim is warp-faced. those are the blue yarns. indigo will transfer it is a fugitive dye.

on the reverse side you are seeing the transverse yarn, the weft. this is left un-dyed.

when you rinse denim the color will transfer. so the pocket bags will typically go dirty blue, the weft will be tinted, etc. that will also happen just by wearing as raw but more locally.

off the loom, the indigo warp yarns *remember* the tension of the jack loom and will have what is called sizing which is basically a starch that helps the yarn survive the weaving process. this is pretty important in terms of stf, as the shrinkage is really a collapsing of structure along the warp.

so stf is stiff, almost boardlike, the yarns are un-napped , ropy, and very indigo and the dye is not transferred. rinsed will be softer, on the outside you might see a bit of flyaway nap as on yours and on the inside you'll see more of a wash of indigo. hope that helps.

noobanker

Reaction score
those are rinsed.

denim is warp-faced. those are the blue yarns. indigo will transfer it is a fugitive dye.

on the reverse side you are seeing the transverse yarn, the weft. this is left un-dyed.

when you rinse denim the color will transfer. so the pocket bags will typically go dirty blue, the weft will be tinted, etc. that will also happen just by wearing as raw but more locally.

off the loom, the indigo warp yarns *remember* the tension of the jack loom and will have what is called sizing which is basically a starch that helps the yarn survive the weaving process. this is pretty important in terms of stf, as the shrinkage is really a collapsing of structure along the warp.

so stf is stiff, almost boardlike, the yarns are un-napped , ropy, and very indigo and the dye is not transferred. rinsed will be softer, on the outside you might see a bit of flyaway nap as on yours and on the inside you'll see more of a wash of indigo. hope that helps.

Thank you.
So I guess when I do wash them, they shouldn't shrink that much since they are already washed, correct?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads