• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The official LVC thread***

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Digging up an old post there. The conclusion I came to is that common sense says these aren't fakes, but retagged samples that were pulled from production before being finished. The red tabs were sewn in after the fact. It would also explain the cardboard patches, the chalk lines, and why the jeans seem unfinished (missing rivets, tagged size significantly different from measured size). I kept the 37s as beaters and returned the other two.

They have the "rusted" buttons and Made in Turkey from the LVC distressed/washed denim, but they are raw. This is a pretty big hint that they were samples pulled from production pre-wash.

If they are fakes, they are very bad and made by someone who is either completely inept or who went through a lot of effort to make them actually look this bad.

Last edited:

styleforumfan

Reaction score
54 501z fit question:

Does anyone know what the typical length shrinkage is for 501z post-wash? Just bought a new pair in Rigid with 32" waist and 34" inseam. I normally wear 30" inseam (5'7") so they are 4" too long. My concern is if I do a 2" double cuff roll to get the length down to 30" inseam, my legs will look even shorter with the cuffs. Should I get them hemmed now or just wear them stacked and look sloppy before the first wash?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got an old pair of the 1966 501s that I like, but fancy something slightly slimmer, but not really slim. I was thinking of the 1947's - am I right in thinking they'd be slimmer in the thigh and leg but without the taper?

Waist measurements look a lot bigger on the 47's for the same tagged size - are they large fitting?

Thanks

phyills

Reaction score
Hey All,

Is it okay to go down a size on already washed/distressed jeans?

Im eyeballing a pair of 1954 501zxx in a nice light wash.

I'm usually a comfy 32 in most jeans, but the ones Im looking at are 31. Think they would be too tight?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey All,

Is it okay to go down a size on already washed/distressed jeans?

Im eyeballing a pair of 1954 501zxx in a nice light wash.

I'm usually a comfy 32 in most jeans, but the ones Im looking at are 31. Think they would be too tight?

I'd try and check the measurements - LVC's vary a lot. Some are vanity sized by a couple of inches and some are an inch down on tagged size.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely tempted by the loomstate denim 1878 jacket and 1890 501s. The denim looks so interesting but I'd like to handle it in person first.

Has anyone else checked those out yet? I'm still trying to track down a DC stockist.

notdesigned

Reaction score

I've got an old pair of the 1966 501s that I like, but fancy something slightly slimmer, but not really slim. I was thinking of the 1947's - am I right in thinking they'd be slimmer in the thigh and leg but without the taper?

Waist measurements look a lot bigger on the 47's for the same tagged size - are they large fitting?

Thanks

Though I haven' bought any recently, I do have both a pair of '47s and a pair of '66s. To me, the '47s have a perfect fitting top block but widen to somewhere between a 16-17" hem. The 66, on the other hand, has a tight waist, loose top block and a nice taper to the hem, where it goes somewhere between 15-16".

FWIW, I find the 66 to have the more interesting fabric.

NewaMoct

Reaction score
Was just about to post a question about the 66s, then saw the last post, so I guess it's already under discussion.

So has anyone bought LVCs this year? I got a pair of 66s earlier in the summer and not only are small details different--no chain stitch in the coin pocket, 4 button fly instead of 5--but the denim doesn't seem as good. Been wearing them for 2-3 weeks straight now and the denim is not breaking in at all (and this is after 2 soaks). I mean, it's gotten softer, but there's zero fading and even the creases behind the knees don't seem to "set." Like, they come and they go... So are they using a new fabric? One that has less character or what?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shot in the dark here, but looking for either a '47 or '54 in a 36 or 38 waist, depending on actual measurements. Anyone have something to part with?

zchauvin

Reaction score
Anyone have a 1930s Menlo in brown, medium size that they would like to sell?

smitty18

Reaction score
has anyone heard about Levis re releasing jeans in rough rinse again ? I've been waiting for years now and the only thing I've seen come out was the "new rinse"

benj84

Reaction score
has anyone heard about Levis re releasing jeans in rough rinse again ? I've been waiting for years now and the only thing I've seen come out was the "new rinse"
not heard but have read on a few sites that rough rinse wasn't really liked, by customers. And when the new rinse came out the reviewers liked the cleaner finish much better. I have 2 pair or RR and like em. Whether or not the feedback from the customers got back to lvc and they stopped producing them because of that, am not sure

Bela Kun

Reaction score
A question regarding hip/seat shrinkage for LVC 1966:

I've got a pair of sanforised LVC 1966 501s in W31, and I'm interested in the rigid STF version. Based on info from various threads, I reckon I should go TTS (= W31 labelled size) if I'm aiming for a trim fit.

Now, when I tried on the rigid LCV 1966 in the shop, the rounded top block looked significantly bigger than the sanforised version while the waist felt about the same. Can I expect the hip/seat area to shrink noticeably after a hot soak, or will it stay more or less the same?

Asking because the hip/seat of the rigid LVC 1966 looked far too big on me, whereas the sanforized LVC 1966 are completely fine.

benj84

Reaction score
A question regarding hip/seat shrinkage for LVC 1966:

I've got a pair of sanforised LVC 1966 501s in W31, and I'm interested in the rigid STF version. Based on info from various threads, I reckon I should go TTS (= W31 labelled size) if I'm aiming for a trim fit.

Now, when I tried on the rigid LCV 1966 in the shop, the rounded top block looked significantly bigger than the sanforised version while the waist felt about the same. Can I expect the hip/seat area to shrink noticeably after a hot soak, or will it stay more or less the same?

Asking because the hip/seat of the rigid LVC 1966 looked far too big on me, whereas the sanforized LVC 1966 are completely fine.

https://supertalk.superfuture.com/topic/131739-levis-vintage-clothing/?page=6

You might want to try asking on the board I just posted linked to bela. Over 500 pages of Lvc info

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads